News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

92-93 5.2/5.9 headers?

Started by scratchinfotraction, November 10, 2013, 07:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratchinfotraction

anyone with a 92-93 5.2/5.9 magnum with nv4500 5 speed running headers?

in the middle of my 5 speed conversion on the 85 truck chassis,91 pre-mag 318 with 92-93 nv4500 hydro bell housing...the min starter does not fit with the 85 2x truck chassis long tube hedman headers.

what headers does the 92-93 truck with manual trans use?

ramhead shorty headers like a 92-93 DAK

or do I need to go with pre-mag truck center dump manifolds,magnum truck manifolds with the manual trams bell.

any long tube headers for magnum truck 92-93?

big set back with this conversion as of now.. WTF to do now..

any pics of headers on amagnum would be great.

The War Wagon

I'm THINKIN' of adding some myself.  Was perusing the new JEGS catalogue in the throne room the other day... started circling things I DON'T have... yet...  :tongue3:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

workgoats

We put factory exhaust manifolds on a Magnum 360 with a 727 in an 82 RC.  We had some problems with the tranny fill tube.  I plan on moving that engine to the 89 Cherokee with the custom body but I will have to use the 90 TBI manifold to clear the driveshaft  (driver side drop on the transfer) and other stuff.  The 727 in the Jeep will have to stay since it would be too hard to pull and replace.

I know that doesn't have any bearing on your situation but the 90 TBI manifolds have an oxygen sensor on the left manifold and should work with the Magnum.  They are center dump and will fit my crossover pipe.

I hope the 360 magnum will fit in the space for the 318 that is in it now.

scratchinfotraction

I think I have found the fix for my header clearance issue..

I have hedman 79080 on the truck list 72-88 2x truck

I orderd a set of hedman 75-91 2x or 4x4 headers, pipes 1,3,5,7 are all moved forward to make room for the starter.

my truck had a old set like these when I got it, i replaced them with the 79080 hedmans. with the 79170 hedmans, I had to R&R the header to R&R the LA style starter(foot note said low torque short starter only) but when I swaped to a mini starter I could R&R it with out R&R of the header.

the NV4500 bell seems to move the stater a little compaird to the 85 LA/727 combo I had.

I know when the hewders get here... here are the pics of the headers, #7 is out of the way.

I only need #7 tube to move over or forward 1.5" to clear the mini starter

scratchinfotraction

yep,got the 79170 hedman hedders for a 72-88 4x4 truck, fit rather well on the 2x truck chassis.

did not have to jack engine or truck up to get either side in  place and bolted up.

made lots of room and will fit the low torque LA style starter (short one)

the 79080 hedman hedders I removed fit and went on/off as ez also. the hedman gasket have been on for 5-6 yrs with no leaks, ball and cone on the bottom is a nice upgrade to headers for sure.

I use permatex copper rtv on both side of the header gasket to seal them up good from the git go, so i think thats why they no leaky for yrs at a time.

these will have a few days cure time so I am on to the next issue.

The War Wagon

HERE'S a $64 question.

If wrapping headers is more effective for heat control UNDER the hood, and producing more HP, why does wrapping most headers void their warranty?   :dontknow:

fal308

Most likely mfgr CYA. They are probably afraid that the temp may get high enough to degrade any finish on the metal or overheat the metal itself?

SixGun

I would think that they promote rust by holding moisture in.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

scratchinfotraction

Quote from: SixGun on November 19, 2013, 12:56:15 AM

correct,wraped headers rust out from the inside mucho faster than bare matel with burnt paint like my old ones. due to heat/mosture/metal fatige from overheating..ect.  no waranty if wraped save them $$$ with the CYA policy.

the ones I removed have been on there a few yrs and are rusted but not thinned out much..YET!

now the ones that came on my truck I could just about poke a finger thru them and the where rusted thru in places. no telling the age of those.

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on November 19, 2013, 12:56:15 AM

Ooooh.  Hadn't considered that.

OK - so here's an even better question.  What if, you CERAKOTE your headers?  Or cover 'em in another sort of impervious-type coating?

scratchinfotraction

from my understanding if you do not coat inside and out it will not help with rusting.

when coated on outside it holds heat inside of pipe makes more HP yada yada yada...

but the carbon deposits eat at the pipe like acid and cuase them to rust from the inside out, you dont see this happen till it is too late.

if you are going to spend the cash on caotings inside and out I would buy a better class of headers that are well built with thicker pipe/flanges for longevity of investment in them.

i am not a fan of fancy coatings,, but a cheap well fitting set that burns paint off and rust out in 10 yrs or so is good for me and my junk.

they are cheaply made with replacment in mind every few yrs. i think it is the way they stay in bizness. i know I have bought a few set for mopars over 35 yrs of wrenching on them.

The War Wagon

Quote from: scratchinfotraction on November 19, 2013, 03:30:50 PM
if you are going to spend the cash on caotings inside and out I would buy a better class of headers that are well built with thicker pipe/flanges for longevity of investment in them.

I think that might be the best advice.

I'm not looking at "mudding" mine - certainly not like you would in bogs in the southeast - but mud will surely BE encountered, to say nothing of driving in the rain (and currently WITHOUT fender liners, in MY case).  I think I'll go with QUALITY headers first time out, and see how long they last...

I DO have a couple of buddies who do professional cerakoting though (one did a 1911 for me, the other did an AR15), who I wouldn't mind turning headers over to as a project. 

80W150

My dad is running a set of ceramic coated headers on his 70 charger. They've been on there for years (18 years or so) and haven't even discolored. They were expensive (at the time, want to say $400) but money well spent. The shorty's I bought for my 79 same thing, ceramic coated. We'll see how those hold up.
Chuck