News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Sorry to ask, but I have a question and I am not sure where to post it.

Started by joemouton, November 19, 2013, 12:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemouton

Okay so I have posed this question on some diesel forums and I have really received any assistance. So I was wondering with all the knowledge that is on this site if I would ask some guys on here for there help. I am a fan of diesels so I hope that no one misunderstand. I have also had a few. So here is my post on the other sites:

I would like some help. I have been thinking about purchasing a diesel truck because the Nissan Titan that I own is not capable of towing much at all. So if I needed to tow my RC I just wouldn't be able too. I have been thinking of selling my Titan, and with that looking at some Rams with CTD. I have found one that I like but to me it seems over priced.

http://www.dieselofhouston.com/2006_Dodge_Ram%202500_Houston_TX_205341892.veh

Here is the link for the truck that I have found that I like but for the miles it really seems well over what I would want to pay. I know that its a diesel and all that, but mechanical parts wear. 200,000 miles is a lot for mechanical parts maybe not the engine but trans, transfer case, diffs. Am I wrong to think that this should be at least a couple thousand cheaper?
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

crazzywolfie

i don't think that is too bad of a price for what it is and its age. i guess with any of the newer 4x4's you take a gamble. it may last you another 200k miles with basic maintenance or things could start failing quickly. it is what sucks about vehicles.

80W150

Nature of the beast. Diesels are so dang expensive new to begin with and they seem to hold their value. (although there's times I think people are trying to make their money back on them. Just my opinion though.) Hey, at least you're not looking at megacabs. Those things are way pricey.
Chuck

joemouton

Well it doesn't matter they sold the truck today and all the other CTD's are way out of my price rance :disgust:
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

crazzywolfie

so it must have been a pretty good deal if it disappeared that quick

joemouton

Yeah it was a pretty truck. I am looking at a Ford platinum F350 SWR. Its the same price. Only 144k miles on a 7.3lt. I hope it last for a week. I doubt it though.
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

The War Wagon

Other than my boss's diesel '80's GM products back in the day ('85 Caprice wagon, '84 Olds 98 Regency - those conversion 350 dogs GM was churning out back then!  :tard: ), I have no experience with diesels, but the guys who have converted their RC's swear by them.  I know the Dodge Cummins have low-end torque out the ying-yang, but I prefer my true-dual Magnaflow glasspacks, to those noisey diesels!!!  :tongue3:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

80W150

I like diesels. These newer ones are different than what I'm used to but I'm sure I'd figure it out. (well, a lot of the CTD is just smaller than what I'm used to. Everything else, design wise, is pretty much the same.)

As far as GM diesels go, 6.2/5 are dogs. 6.2 were reliable just not big on power. (we were pretty consistent on dyno pulls of 150 hp(give a couple either way) and roughly 250 ft lbs of torque) 6.5 we rebuilt and dynode were naturally aspirated so numbers were a little better but nothing a 4.0 in line 6 couldn't out perform. They average 190 hp, torque about same as 6.2. Those were for hummwv's.

8.3l in the 900 series 5 tons weren't bad but the auto trans sucked a lot of power. Once they got moving they weren't bad. Had roughly same power as a NHC 250 but were about 1k lbs lighter.

We won't even discuss Detroit diesels. Those were a nightmare waiting to happen.
Chuck

joemouton

Well things went from bad to worse. I finally received a response from the dealership that I was wanting to buy the truck from and they said that they would not be able to take my truck off my hands. So, I have to either sell it privately which I would regret, or sell it to someone like Carmax which would completely undercut me on the price. So, it looks like I will just keep the Nissan and try to pay off some of my credit issues with what was going to be the down payment on the diesel truck.
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd