News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1978 Ramcharger Aka The "Death Charger"

Started by ProjectM880, December 24, 2013, 11:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectM880

SO this thing fired off to day  :thumbsup:

Progress progress progress...... Again I think noah gets more done when im not around  :017:

The War Wagon

Is that a flex-a-lite fan?  How do you like it?
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

ProjectPW

Quote from: The War Wagon on March 05, 2014, 06:13:18 PM

It is garbage and will be replaced with a proper clutch type fan  :steeringwheel:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

crazzywolfie

have you ever thought about running dual electric fans? i got some on my truck and like them. i got 96-00 dodge caravan fans and they work great at cooling my truck once it has hit operating temp. they also almost look fairly good when installed. also keeps your truck fairly quiet.

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on March 05, 2014, 08:33:29 PMhave you ever thought about running dual electric fans? i got some on my truck and like them. i got 96-00 dodge caravan fans and they work great at cooling my truck once it has hit operating temp. they also almost look fairly good when installed. also keeps your truck fairly quiet.

A LOTTA Jeep guys like the electric fans.  With a small, but decent stereo, and a BIG CB rig, I'd just as soon keep the rest of the electric stuff to a minimum, until I get a dual battery setup worked out.  With headers & Magnaflow glasspacks, I'll NEVER hear my fan clutch anyways!  :tongue3:   I was curious about the flex-a-lites, because I don't know too many folks who have run 'em on BIG trucks like ours.

SixGun

Since Noah brought up the subject of clutch fans.  I was wondering about the idea of running a spacer instead of a clutch on a trail rig.  I figure less chance of the clutch failing and causing the fan to hit the radiator.  I picked up a 7 blade factory fan from a D250.  Figure the clutch is to stop robbing power at highway speeds where the air flow would keep the radiator cool anyway.  Any thoughts on this?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

Quote from: The War Wagon on March 05, 2014, 09:02:15 PM
A LOTTA Jeep guys like the electric fans.  With a small, but decent stereo, and a BIG CB rig, I'd just as soon keep the rest of the electric stuff to a minimum, until I get a dual battery setup worked out.  With headers & Magnaflow glasspacks, I'll NEVER hear my fan clutch anyways!  :tongue3:   I was curious about the flex-a-lites, because I don't know too many folks who have run 'em on BIG trucks like ours.
i don't think you would need dual batteries to run any of that. your truck should probably have a 90 or 120 amp alternator so you should be fine. you also don't drive you rig often so you may not notice the clutch fan. i know when i first fire up my ramcharger i am pretty sure the mechanical fan makes my ramcharger sound like there is a supercharger under the hood. 

ProjectM880

Quote from: The War Wagon on March 05, 2014, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: ProjectPW on March 05, 2014, 06:59:54 PM
It is garbage and will be replaced with a proper clutch type fan  :steeringwheel:
<-------- What he Said  ;)

Quote from: crazzywolfie on March 05, 2014, 08:33:29 PM
have you ever thought about running dual electric fans? i got some on my truck and like them. i got 96-00 dodge caravan fans and they work great at cooling my truck once it has hit operating temp. they also almost look fairly good when installed. also keeps your truck fairly quiet.
Ive never liked eletric fans for trail rigs. I would much rather have a mechanical one that has a less chance of failing. Ive seen to many that fail on the trail. they work great on the high way and street but can't keep up on slow moving trails.

Quote from: SixGun on March 05, 2014, 09:53:42 PM
Since Noah brought up the subject of clutch fans.  I was wondering about the idea of running a spacer instead of a clutch on a trail rig.  I figure less chance of the clutch failing and causing the fan to hit the radiator.  I picked up a 7 blade factory fan from a D250.  Figure the clutch is to stop robbing power at highway speeds where the air flow would keep the radiator cool anyway.  Any thoughts on this?
For a strickly trail truck a fixed mounted fan is just fine. Especailly if your running a stock"ish" Motor. You probably would't see any power difference.
Ive run both fixed fans and clutch. I like both. The only down side to a clutch style is when it wears out it doesn;t push enough air. where as  a fixed style never wears out.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 05, 2014, 09:53:42 PM

In my experience even a slightly worn out clutch style fan will still draw enough air through the radiator to keep most engines cool. However, if you have a new big block motor (sixgun) a new fan clutch and a properly fitted fan shroud are a must in order to keep heat in check during break in.

On flex fans/solid fans: they are noisy. they are fragile (flex), they are robbing precious power after about 2500RPM- I for one like to run as high as 5000+ RPM to satisfy my need for speed and outrun stodgy old blue jeeps, and worn out tan Ram Chargers  :headbang:

On electric fans: They are probably the best choice assuming certain prerequisites have been met. 1st: they need to mount securely  (no zip ties through the radiator) 2nd: they need to be wired correctly and have an alternator that puts out at least 70-100 amps in order to keep the battery up- no need for dual batteries just adequate charging capability (especially at lower RPM when crawling) 3rd: worn out junk yard fans are not a good choice for a trail rig. Yes they worked in the driveway, but is that POS gonna kick the bucket on a trail when it is about 110 degrees out- probably  :laughing4: --Bring a spare or buy new !

ProjectM880

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 06, 2014, 07:40:04 AM

I for one like to run as high as 5000+ RPM to satisfy my need for speed and outrun stodgy old blue jeeps, and worn out tan Ram Chargers  :headbang:

With that kinda additude, all payment checks have been canceled.......  :laughing4:

FYI- You  built the Jeep Motor- Your fault its slow
FYI- You installed the 318 In the Tan RC- Your responsable for its performance.........

But I guess if you want to make your own truck seem superior, the best way is to sabotage the rest................... Your like the Tonya Hardy of the offroad world  :098:  :laughing4:

The War Wagon

Quote from: crazzywolfie on March 05, 2014, 09:59:34 PM
i don't think you would need dual batteries to run any of that. your truck should probably have a 90 or 120 amp alternator so you should be fine. you also don't drive you rig often so you may not notice the clutch fan. i know when i first fire up my ramcharger i am pretty sure the mechanical fan makes my ramcharger sound like there is a supercharger under the hood.

I went to a 125 amp alternator, and while there aren't a LOT of electrical gizmos even in a '92, I'm hoping that'll be enough to drive everything.  My Commander has a 165 amp alternator, and I DON'T have the entertainment center, or rearview camera/stereo!

ProjectPW

Hey I can only work with what I have been given  :dontknow:

Honestly it is Lance and Richard we have to worry about they got them big motors  :017: (fords dont count  :laughing7: sorry Ernest)

You know you are at the Dodge whisperer's shop....where 318's run like big blocks  :great:

Quote from: ProjectM880 on March 06, 2014, 08:28:37 AM
With that kinda additude, all payment checks have been canceled.......  :laughing4:

FYI- You  built the Jeep Motor- Your fault its slow
FYI- You installed the 318 In the Tan RC- Your responsable for its performance.........

But I guess if you want to make your own truck seem superior, the best way is to sabotage the rest................... Your like the Tonya Hardy of the offroad world  :098:  :laughing4:

ProjectM880

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 06, 2014, 08:52:58 AM

You know you are at the Dodge whisperer's shop....where 318's run like big blocks  :great:
Yeah..... Im going to need you to start SCREAMING at my 318  :BangHead:

ProjectPW

Quote from: The War Wagon on March 06, 2014, 08:40:27 AM
I went to a 125 amp alternator, and while there aren't a LOT of electrical gizmos even in a '92, I'm hoping that'll be enough to drive everything.  My Commander has a 165 amp alternator, and I DON'T have the entertainment center, or rearview camera/stereo!

Yep you should be just fine. Get a good battery and run a 6 guage cable from the alternator and make sure you have got real good grounds from battery to motor, motor to cab, motor to frame etc

SixGun

What is Lance running, a 360?  Does he have a build on here? I didn't see anything labeled Keystone Lance.

I think that Ernest will build a Mopar vicariously through me.  :laughing7:  The RC he got rid of had a 400 motor.

Noah's truck surprised me when I found out it was a 318.  It sounds and runs like a HP motor.  I had a 71 Charger with a 318 waaaaaay back when.  It had a 2bbl and the old Thrush tin can mufflers and an econo dual exhaust.  Surprised many street thugs.
Shitty picture of a picture but here it is behind the 72 Camaro.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket