News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Harbor Freight winch problem solved

Started by workgoats, December 29, 2013, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workgoats

My winch quit working.  It would not go in or out.  I suspected the wired remote but couldn't try the wireless remote since I ran the battery down and don't have another.

I determined that power got to the plug on the control box but not to the switch in the cable.  Problem was in the plug on the cable.  I couldn't figure out how to get it apart so I carefully ground around the outside until I got it parted.  The first pic shows the problem.  The red wire, hot from the battery was parted at the soldier joint.

I re-soldiered the wire and did a temporary plug repair (second pic) so I could get the winch rope easily re-wound.

The wire can spin in the plug, making the wires susceptible to breakage.  I would suggest that you tape the wire to the back of the plug with some good ole black electrical tape to prevent this happening to your winch.

I will order a new cable if they don't cost a fortune but I might put a new plug on the winch.  That would make my cable different from everyone elses but I have never been accused of conforming...

workgoats

I guess my temporary repair works good enough.  Last night we had to make an emergency trip down a few miles to pick up a cheby with a dead fuel pump.  The trailer rigged with a winch was in use so we took an utility trailer.  We winched the 4x4 Tahoe onto the trailer with my winch chained to the gooseneck ball in the bed of the pickup.  Beats the heck out of cable hoists by hand.

80W150

At least you got 'er figured out and it works.  :thumbsup: Sounds almost like the pins on the back of the minivan instrument panels. ::)
Chuck

Toyradio

chau8238

Good to know, I have not used my wired remote since I have the wireless version, but if I ever need to use it, I'll keep that in mind.  Just so you know, my wired remote works with my buddies Warn winch, so that's not an issue either if you decide to go with a different remote.