News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

So I contacted a local, well known, engine builder.....

Started by 80W150, December 30, 2013, 12:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80W150

I emailed Muscle Motors. (they're located in Lansing, MI) These guys build engines (mopar) and ship them world wide. Great group of guys and their engines are top shelf. My dad had his 440 built there when we restored his charger so yup, personal experience with them. Anywho....

I emailed them and described what I wanted out of my 360. Told them no more than 300hp. Told them the exhaust I just recently had installed and that I'd be running the holley projection fuel injection. No granted, it's been 20 years (give or take) since the 440 was built and I remember what my dad spent. Well, the price tag for the 360 is about what my dad's 440 cost. Almost $4,400.

Now I have yet to go in and talk to Eric at muscle motors but I may end up just having them do the machine work and I'll assemble it. Might save some cash.

I won't have any other place touch it but man, has the price of rebuilding a engine gone up that damn much? Granted, like I've said, these guys are top shelf, none better in my opinion but wow. I know when I get it back EVERYTHING will be new or thoroughly checked like any good shop does. Basically block, crank, heads and rods are the only thing reused.

I imagine most of you guys just build your own and just have a place do the machine work. Does this quote really seem high? 
Chuck

crazzywolfie

if you compare it to what you can order a stock rebuilt engine for ya that is a bit high. there is places that sell pre built engines for less than that. rockauto charges about $2000 for a long block. you may want to look around.

The War Wagon

I'm building mine bit by bit.  I suppose the block, crank, rods, rockers, & pistons might be the LAST step of the build (building from the outside, in!)... unless something comes apart first!  :tard:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

80W150

Well wolfie, it won't be stock, that's for sure. And I'm starting to reconsider using the fuel injection for a couple of different reasons. Long and short, mechanical is more reliable. I've never had a mechanical fuel pump go out but I've lost electric pumps. So maybe I'll stick with a carb. I have a brand new holley 600 in the box....

I know I could go a stock reman for a lot less but what fun is that? Why have 150 hp when you can have 300?  :headbang: :steeringwheel:

At least the tranny shifts good and solid so I don't have to sink money there. Just engine and cooling system. (electric fan conversion time. That is one electric component I will run.)

Oh. I did price out the magnum crate engines from mopar performance. Thie price I got from muscle motors really isn't that bad. Man, prices have went up in the last 15 years or so.
Chuck

crazzywolfie

you can get a stock 360 magnum long block for $2000-$2400 plus shipping from rockauto. i know i was seeing pre built engines else ware for a bit more but had more to them.

SixGun

I looked at Bouchillon Performance and their crate 360`s are 6 grand, go figure.  I remember when you could get one for 2 grand.  Times have really changed.  If it was me, I'd go with a 3rd gen Hemi if I was going to lay down that kind of money.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

On one of the Dodge forums, there's a Canadian guy who dropped a crate 5.7 Hemi into his 91 2wd RC - it's pretty sharp!  :headbang:

SixGun

Yeah, seems to be the latest and greatest for a gasser.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

80W150

Quote from: SixGun on December 31, 2013, 07:24:01 AM
I looked at Bouchillon Performance and their crate 360`s are 6 grand, go figure.  I remember when you could get one for 2 grand.  Times have really changed.  If it was me, I'd go with a 3rd gen Hemi if I was going to lay down that kind of money.

I know. I remember you could get the 300 hp 360's for around $2/3k. Not anymore apparently. I had considered that route until I saw the prices. As far as the hemi goes, in some ways that would be cool but, kinda want to stick with the original 360. If it was a 2wd pop top that thing would be getting a big block.

Quote from: The War Wagon on December 31, 2013, 02:08:48 PM
On one of the Dodge forums, there's a Canadian guy who dropped a crate 5.7 Hemi into his 91 2wd RC - it's pretty sharp!  :headbang:

I saw that too. Pretty badass.

I need to go in there to muscle motors thursday and talk with them. Need to know exactly what is included in this build. The big thing is I really don't want to have a engine bought over the interweb. Sure, might get something cheaper but then include shipping, not knowing what exactly you're getting quality wise.... I may ask them about them assembling the rotating assembly, basically build the short block and do the rest machine wise and I'll assemble the rest. It's not rocket science.

Either way I look at it, this isn't going to be as inexpensive as I thought. I figured maybe $3-3,500. Sticker shock hit me that's for sure. Just wanted to make sure it's not just muscle motors.... Haven't priced other engine builders in town...
Chuck

The War Wagon

Quote from: 80W150 on December 31, 2013, 05:09:21 PMI remember you could get the 300 hp 360's for around $2/3k. Not anymore apparently. I had considered that route until I saw the prices. As far as the hemi goes, in some ways that would be cool but, kinda want to stick with the original 360.

That is the GREAT thing about a Magnum; you start out with 230 HP, and mere headers, true duals, & a K&N will get you MOST of the way to 300HP.  Going mild cam, performance MOPAR chip, port/polished/magnafluxed heads & solid lifters, MIGHT actually get me to 325 - 350HP - maybe a little more!  1+HP/cubic inch is nice!  ;D

crazzywolfie

there was a guy on dodge forum that had a turbo on his fairly stock 318 Dakota and he was putting down about 290hp at the wheels before he upgraded his turbo. he now thinks he is putting out a bit more than 300hp at the wheels with the new turbo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m_ruMx5MkI

80W150

Quote from: The War Wagon on December 31, 2013, 08:02:30 PM
That is the GREAT thing about a Magnum; you start out with 230 HP, and mere headers, true duals, & a K&N will get you MOST of the way to 300HP.  Going mild cam, performance MOPAR chip, port/polished/magnafluxed heads & solid lifters, MIGHT actually get me to 325 - 350HP - maybe a little more!  1+HP/cubic inch is nice!  ;D

I'm just thinking about changing injectors, electric fan, for sure the exhaust crossover (I think jegs or summit has one that is cat delete. Has O2 bung and is same length as stock crossover just no cat) and maybe intake and headers.

Right now this might go into a stall mode. Wife was talking about the kitchen last night. (way to end the year babe, thanks! crush my truck dreams. lol) I guess if it comes down to it I'll just stick with my original plan. Pull engine, reseal, new timing chain/gears, check screen for oil pump. Get the intake I want and throw the holley on it and call it a day.

How's that saying go? Happy wife happy life.... Yeah, that's it. (even though I REALLY want to do the 360. guess we'll have to see what happens)
Chuck

The War Wagon

Quote from: 80W150 on January 01, 2014, 08:42:00 AMHow's that saying go? Happy wife happy life.... Yeah, that's it. (even though I REALLY want to do the 360. guess we'll have to see what happens)

You just gotta OUTRACE her to the bank, when the tax refund comes in (or go to JEGs.com and BLOW it all before she finds out!!!  :tongue3: )!

Yeah, I gotta try and do all my engine work QUIETLY now, over the next few years.  She's still ticked about ALL of this year's refund going to the truck...  ::)

80W150

Oh, that really isn't the issue. I guess maybe I'm having second thoughts. She really wants to remodel the kitchen and she never asks for much of anything. I mean sure, I bought her a new wedding set for Christmas that she didn't ask for. (she deserves it. she's put up with me since 2001) So I surprised her there but she does all the cooking. The kitchen to her is what the garage is to us. So I think my best course of action is just to idle the engine project til next winter and do the kitchen for her. (not that I'm hip to doing house remodeling type stuff but.....) I do the kitchen this spring (and possibly the deck) then I can feel justified to go crazy on the RC next winter.

Trying to be a good husband is difficult sometimes. Decisions decisions.... ;D
Chuck

rjtx667

It really depends on what you are doing and what you put in it.

I can say my 408 stroker cost A LOT more than that, but it has high end pistons, a new crank, new EQ heads, the list goes on and on.

The block itself had about 1k worth of work done to it getting cleaned, bored, decked and squared.

The new heads were about 1600, and that was new 2.02 valves, springs I already had, and a stage 1 port n polish.

But I can tell you the 408 is amazing!!!! I recently got a 13 durango with the 5.7 hemi... that thing is nice but so much dang torque management... it does not hold a candle to the 408.

I can also say that the thing that is as important, maybe more, than a good engine is a good tune.... I started out with hemifeaver tuning and it was sluggish, ran bad, and I was not happy. I went to Flyin Ryan and he woke the sucker up and got me 14.67 in the 1/4 mile. Not bad for a 5300# truck that was not made to do 1/4 mile runs. And yes when I was out there I could out run a 5.7 hemi single cab ram that had minor bolt ons and a tune from hemifeaver.

So what you spend depends on what you want, if you re-use the pistons and crank it gets cheaper. But also make sure the crank is good, the reason I did a 408 was my crank was bad because of a spun bearing. If buying a new crank might as well upgrade.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins