News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

My 1984 RC

Started by joemouton, February 03, 2014, 03:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemouton

Hey Gents I know it has been forever, but I am back in China.

So far the update on my truck is pretty light.

1.  I have replaced the entire stereo. The speakers in the doors had to replaced as well as the speakers in the back. I bought a new radio because the factory one wouldn't push enough power to the new speakers. All in all it was about a grand. The guy who installed said that the wiring looked like a birds nest and had to be completely replaced. The wire running to the back speakers was home entertainment wire.

2. The second thing that needed attention was the exhaust. The hangers in the back were half way through the pipe. The exhaust muffler on the passenger side had rusted through the first chamber. I now have two flowmaster 40s on her.

I will have pictures up when I get back from China. Yes I am back again, but I should be back in a week or so.

My next project is body work. I am going to be moving to another company so I don't know how much time or money I am going to have the next three to four months but when I can I will be tackling that monster hard. There is so much to do be done. How ever mechanically she is in pretty good condition.
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

SixGun

How's the drone going down the highway with the FM 40's ?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

Quote from: joemouton on February 03, 2014, 03:25:53 AMHey Gents I know it has been forever, but I am back in China.

Bring back GOLD!  They have all ours:confused2:

Quote1.  I have replaced the entire stereo. The speakers in the doors had to replaced as well as the speakers in the back. I bought a new radio because the factory one wouldn't push enough power to the new speakers. All in all it was about a grand. The guy who installed said that the wiring looked like a birds nest and had to be completely replaced. The wire running to the back speakers was home entertainment wire.

NOT looking forward to this myself, but at least all my current stuff is factory install - no flubbed up aftermarket stuff to worry about stripping out first.

Quote2. The second thing that needed attention was the exhaust... I now have two flowmaster 40s on her.

You gotta post some video of the rumble!!!  ;D   I run a single Super 44 on my Jeep Commander, and it's pretty loud.  But then I run Magnaflow glasspacks on MY RC... and I'm adding headers next! :tongue3:

QuoteMy next project is body work. I am going to be moving to another company so I don't know how much time or money I am going to have the next three to four months but when I can I will be tackling that monster hard. There is so much to do be done. How ever mechanically she is in pretty good condition.

You're in TX.  Saving a TX RC is a snap, compared to bodywork on a PA RC!  :tard:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

joemouton

Sixgun- It actually isn't that bad. I really haven't opened it up because I am still a little timid to get her up to interstate cruising speeds. I have been at about 55 and it sounds great. Hell, just idling sounds awesome.

War Wagon- Yeah I didn't think that the wiring would be an issue but it seemed to be. Now with the exhaust there was  alittle confusion. I know that my truck doesn't have cats because its carbed and an 84. There is a piece on the exhaust that looks like cats though and I wanted to cut the exhaust behind that because there is a piece of the exhaust that links the two together and if I eliminated that it would be true dual exhaust, however, because I didn't know what they were for(again not cats but does look like cats) the guy doing my exhaust suggested that I leave them in.

Now for the body work it would be simple if this was a Texas truck, but she wasn't. I got her from Reno. The rear lower quarter panel behind the drivers door is nothing but rust and filler. The opposite near the bumper is show a fair amount of rust through the paint as well.I know its going to take a time and metal to get it back to factory and I already have a paint scheme in mind. All black, flat black. I want to lift it 4" and put 31s, or 33s depending on how much they cost when I get there.

The body work is my main concern. Mechanically, my truck is awesome, also, she looks good now but I know what lies beneath the paint. 
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

The War Wagon

Quote from: joemouton on February 03, 2014, 07:06:35 PMNow with the exhaust there was  alittle confusion. I know that my truck doesn't have cats because its carbed and an 84. There is a piece on the exhaust that looks like cats though and I wanted to cut the exhaust behind that because there is a piece of the exhaust that links the two together and if I eliminated that it would be true dual exhaust, however, because I didn't know what they were for(again not cats but does look like cats) the guy doing my exhaust suggested that I leave them in.

That's your crossover pipe - it does keep some backpressure in your system.  The problem with a LOTTA folks is, when they switch to true duals, they think 4" diesel pipes help it breathe better.  ::)   You can eliminate the need for a crossover though, by going with slightly smaller pipes.  I'm actually running 2 1/4" pipes with true duals (dual JEGS performance CATS too, because they're so anal on emissions in this area.  To top it off, I'm emission exempt on mileage [5k miles a year or less], and probably always will be, but whaddya gonna do?  :dontknow: ) with Magnaflow glasspacks, and mine seems to run quite well with this setup (I've put all of 50 miles on it!  :tongue3: ).

QuoteNow for the body work it would be simple if this was a Texas truck, but she wasn't. I got her from Reno. The rear lower quarter panel behind the drivers door is nothing but rust and filler. The opposite near the bumper is show a fair amount of rust through the paint as well.I know its going to take a time and metal to get it back to factory and I already have a paint scheme in mind. All black, flat black. I want to lift it 4" and put 31s, or 33s depending on how much they cost when I get there.

The body work is my main concern. Mechanically, my truck is awesome, also, she looks good now but I know what lies beneath the paint.

TIG welder and new steel, or replacement lower quarters - they still make 'em, because EVERYBODY'S rot out on Gen.I Dodges... unless it's been in AZ it's whole life.  I got lucky when mine sat INSIDE for 7 years, thereby avoiding anything more serious than the sheetmetal rusting through back there.  It takes a little work, but if that - and the floor pan - are the only things rotted, than you're in the same boat as every OTHER RC owner, and fixing those can be done.   :thumbsup:

joemouton

Here are some pictures of the exhaust and one of the new radio.

I am not sure the size of my pipes but it is the same size as the pipe coming off the headers and through the exhaust. The only thing that has change is the exhaust tips they are three inch I believe. Yeah my truck doesn't need to pass emissions either.

Yeah I found some of quarter panels online but I don't know if they will be enough. It needs a lot of work. Lol. I don't have any experience in body work so I am going to do some minor work myself, but the rest will have to be done professionally.
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

SixGun

Did you forget the pics?  :icon_scratch:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

joemouton

No I didn't forget them. They will not load on the site because the file name. My brother took them on his I-Phone and it is that funky .htm file crap and this site will not accept that kind of photo. I thought that it let me just delete the whole post but I guess not. 
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

The War Wagon

Quote from: joemouton on February 05, 2014, 07:50:19 PM
No I didn't forget them. They will not load on the site because the file name. My brother took them on his I-Phone and it is that funky .htm file crap and this site will not accept that kind of photo. I thought that it let me just delete the whole post but I guess not.

Photobucket is your friend.  ;D

The account is free, and no matter what format you load 'em to there, it'll turn everything into a JPEG, and then you can post it from there to here!  8)

crazzywolfie

The War Wagon

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccccccccccccce...  :great:

joemouton

Thanks guys. I love it. I am having a problem now that I can't seem to find a fix for. I have a oil filler tube that needs the gasket(grommet) replaced because it is leaking and I can't find a replacement. I have ordered them online but I keep getting my money back as I am told that Dodge/Chrysler doesn't make the part any more. Does any one have any suggestions? 
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

joemouton

Nevermind I found a valve cover rebuild kit on summit racing. It deletes the oil tube and replaces it with just a cap, but it is what it is.
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

The War Wagon

Quote from: joemouton on February 24, 2014, 05:27:11 PM
Nevermind I found a valve cover rebuild kit on summit racing. It deletes the oil tube and replaces it with just a cap, but it is what it is.

It didn't delete a PCV valve with it, did it?  :icon_scratch: