News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Wow, didn't think a 94 cost that much...

Started by 80W150, February 04, 2014, 07:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80W150

So a buddy of mine texted me about a Winchester 94 30-30. Found one for sale for $500. He asked what did I think. I said "that's f'ing high. Better be gold plated." He told me what they usually go for. I said no way. So I look on Winchesters site. Needless to say I had sticker shock. Granted, again, it's msrp but, $1,299.99. I couldn't believe it. Good thing I'm going Thursday to talk to my insurance agent about insurance on my guns. But had I not known I would potentially have screwed myself.

I have a 94. Paid $120 for it,,,,,,,,, back in 1987. That's the beautiful part with guns. They never really lose value. If anything the increase. (not all but some.)
Chuck

The War Wagon

I damn near bought one in .357 back in '98 (I still want to learn how to shoot one from horseback... at full gallop!  Yeah, I've watched "Tombstone" too MANY times....  :tongue3: ) - figured if I loaded it with .38's, I could get one or two more rounds in it, too!  I think they wanted around $350 for that particular model at the time... guess I shoulda got it then:'(
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

Skwerly

That's one of the many reasons I went with a marlin .30-30. also, it doesn't eject the casings straight up into the air, which I like. they are cheaper, they have a great rep, and the side eject. Mine's a '76 so no lame safety, either.

80W150

I'd love to get a lever .44 mag. There's talk in Michigan of changing the rules of hunting with straight wall cartridge rifles in shotgun area for deer hunting. Which makes sense. I can hunt with my .44 mag revolver (which has a 10.5" barrel) but yet you can't use ANYTHING that is rifle form but yet fires the same cartridge. (single shot, lever, bolt action) But yet you can use a inline muzzleloader that has as much if not more range than a straight wall cartridge.

I understand not allowing regular rifles. It has to do with the dense population as compared to up north. M57 is the dividing line in the state.(it's about mid state, east/west two lane state highway) South of 57 is shotgun, handgun and muzzleloader only. North of 57 you can use rifle, shotgun, handgun, muzzleloader.... 

Hopefully this year I'll have to find me something that fires a straight wall cartridge for deer hunting. That would be awesome. Maybe a Ruger M77 bolt action in .44 mag. :headbang:
Chuck

ProjectM880

Quote from: 80W150 on February 05, 2014, 09:29:46 PM
I'd love to get a lever .44 mag. There's talk in Michigan of changing the rules of hunting with straight wall cartridge rifles in shotgun area for deer hunting. Which makes sense. I can hunt with my .44 mag revolver (which has a 10.5" barrel) but yet you can't use ANYTHING that is rifle form but yet fires the same cartridge. (single shot, lever, bolt action) But yet you can use a inline muzzleloader that has as much if not more range than a straight wall cartridge.

I understand not allowing regular rifles. It has to do with the dense population as compared to up north. M57 is the dividing line in the state.(it's about mid state, east/west two lane state highway) South of 57 is shotgun, handgun and muzzleloader only. North of 57 you can use rifle, shotgun, handgun, muzzleloader.... 

Hopefully this year I'll have to find me something that fires a straight wall cartridge for deer hunting. That would be awesome. Maybe a Ruger M77 bolt action in .44 mag. :headbang:

I do alot of hog hunting and my pistol of choice is a 1974 Virginan Dragoon .44 Mag 12.5" Barrell.  Ive also been looking for a Lever Action .44 Mag Rifle. Though I would perfer a Winchester. They are very expensive especially the older one. I keep finding remakes from Tokyo, japan and Brazil. They are considerabley cheaper. range in the 300-400 range. But Im unsure of the quality and the outside appearance seems cheap lookin.

80W150

I haven't priced out the M77 Rugers yet. I know they are pricey. I'd love a Ruger .44 mag carbine (the one that looks like a 10/22 on steroids) but those critters are pricey as well. Cheapest I've seen at the gun shows is around $600. If I ever find one cheap (because they don't know what they have) I'm snagging it.
Chuck

workgoats

Quote from: ProjectM880 on February 06, 2014, 10:10:30 AM
I do alot of hog hunting and my pistol of choice is a 1974 Virginan Dragoon .44 Mag 12.5" Barrell.  Ive also been looking for a Lever Action .44 Mag Rifle. Though I would perfer a Winchester. They are very expensive especially the older one. I keep finding remakes from Tokyo, japan and Brazil. They are considerabley cheaper. range in the 300-400 range. But Im unsure of the quality and the outside appearance seems cheap lookin.

Went to a gun show in Glen Rose a couple of weekends ago.  They had your lever action 44 there but I didn't price it or notice who had it for sale.

They also had a Henry 30-30.  They wanted $700 for it.

ProjectM880

Quote from: workgoats on February 07, 2014, 04:27:53 PM
Went to a gun show in Glen Rose a couple of weekends ago.  They had your lever action 44 there but I didn't price it or notice who had it for sale.

They also had a Henry 30-30.  They wanted $700 for it.

If you run across anyone selling a .44 mag lever action at a resonable price let me know.
Henry's are kinda pricey these days. But they make a kickass .22 lever action. Very good quality rifle.

fal308

IIRC the Ruger Deerstalker (44 Mag semi auto) can only fire jacketed bullets. (May be wrong on that though) Been quite a while since I fired mine. back when I shot CAS I used my Marlin 1894 44 carbine. Was a lot of fun.

80W150

That's ok fal, all I load is jacketed so we're good there.  ;)
Chuck