News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

New stuff on the 01 ram

Started by 80W150, February 06, 2014, 08:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80W150

So last Friday the wife and I swapped rigs for the day. I needed Grimace (or minivan) to take the dog to the vet. Anywho, we go to dinner that evening. I start the ram and here a exhaust leak, coming from drivers side. Manifold gasket, crap.

So, I discuss with my lovely wife. I rationalize it this way. "Honey, I'm thinking it's the gasket but, I can't be sure. Could be the manifold itself. Now the smart bet would be just to get a set of shorty headers blah blah." She see's the logic in that. So now I'm emboldened. I decide to go for it. "Now, as long as that has to be done this would be a good time to get a new y pipe for it." She eyes me and asks 'Why?" I says "The cat convertor is in it and well, it has been low on performance, kinda sluggish, gas mileage has been lacking......"

She eyeballs me. She knows what I'm up to. Here it comes, shot down in flames... "Well, if you think it NEEDS it......" GREEN LIGHT!

So Tuesday morning I go to jegs and order the y pipe. (cat delete but has the O2 bungs) Then over to summit, pacesetter headers go! They come in Wednesday. Sweet. Then I think "Screw this. It's cold outside and it won't fit in garage. Call the local shop a guy owns that I went to school with."

I call this morning around 8. Ask him when he can get it in. He says bring it down, so I do. They got it done after hours (cuz I need it tomorrow for the wife to drive so I can take dog back to vet again). Don't know what install is gonna cost but I can say this, what ever it costs it's well worth it. That truck hasn't ran that good in a while. Have to actually watch the loud pedal on snow right now. All it wants to do is break them loose. (and I have new skins on it)

Be interesting to see if it helps mpg any. I'm not really counting on it and don't care. It runs great again. When it gets warm I need to do the plate on the bottom of the intake and at that time it will get new cap, rotor, wires. Oh, and 4 hole injectors. Electric fans too. But, best bang for the buck, those pacesetter shorty's and the y pipe from jegs, heck yes.
Chuck

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

Better take her out to dinner still - JUST to cover your ass bases.   :drunken_smilie:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!