News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

ProjectPW '79 Utiline Build

Started by ProjectPW, February 26, 2014, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

I think we need more go pro's... the next time he toast an axle its going to be one hell of a show  :evil6:

:happy1:

I will say people need to stop doing upgrades, I just did upgrades on mine trying to catch up and here ya go on Dana 70's and other crazy upgrades  :violent1:  I need a 2nd job just to cover upgrade cost  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on January 06, 2015, 09:20:46 AM
I think we need more go pro's... the next time he toast an axle its going to be one hell of a show  :evil6:

:happy1:

I will say people need to stop doing upgrades, I just did upgrades on mine trying to catch up and here ya go on Dana 70's and other crazy upgrades  :violent1:  I need a 2nd job just to cover upgrade cost  :laughing7:

I actaully just picked up another GoPro Black  :dance:

So we may need to attach one to noah's truck  :headbang:

SixGun

I like when you guys do upgrades. More parts in the scrap pile to pick through.   :toothy9:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on January 06, 2015, 11:08:15 AM
I like when you guys do upgrades. More parts in the scrap pile to pick through.   :toothy9:

Good point, I'm pretty sure you won;t need to buy any half ton axle parts for a long time  :laughing4:

ProjectPW

Ok update.... I drove the Top Hand to a local car show and found that the tires are not even remotely balanced. The truck drives very well on the road aside from extremely unbalanced tires. Another issue is that 4th gear is essentially worthless until about 50mph...not enough power.... @ 60 mph the engine is loping along at 1900 rpm.

I am not too worried about the tire issue, but the gearing issue was already a problem when on the trail. Simply not enough low range to keep wheel speed to a desirable level when crawling up the ledges. This lead to multiple failed attempts on trails that were otherwise doable with the previous setup.

I have sourced a good dana 70 rear from a 2002 Ram 2500 with rear discs. It is in usable shape, has a crap-loc and 4.10 gears. My original plan was to regear the front d60 to match this axle while I replace the broken axle shafts and hubs. Unfortunately that will not yield an adequate reduction from the current 3.55 gears. Another issue is the crap-loc rear....they suck! on flat ground it is better than nothing but given the conditions this truck endures it is essentially worthless.

Solution: Given a 36-37" tall tire the gears that will be needed are at the minimum 4.56-4.88:1.  Luckily a 5.13 thick gear can be sourced that will still work with the current carrier/spartan locker in the front d60. It also means that a 35 spline detroit locker must be used for the rear dana 70 (32spline stock)...luckily dana 80 axle shafts from a 2nd gen single wheel will work to upgrade the rear from 32 spline to 35 spline shafts and save a bit on cost for the detroit locker....

A 5.13 gear will give me a cruising rpm on the road between 2500-3000rpm (sweet spot for a 318). It will also give a final crawl ratio of 92:1. I am thinking that I really dont want to do this again, so as they say go big or go home!

Eric I know what you are thinking.... :tongue3:

I will post some pics as work begins. I will be starting with the rear axle since it is on stands. Gotta get to work if this SOB is gonna hit the trail again anytime soon
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectPW

:dance:  It's for the greater good of all Dodge kind   :dance:

ProjectM880

Good grief... I'm never going to catch up......... Screw it I'm going to get a set of Rockwell!!!!

But I like where your head is at  :thumbsup:

rjtx667

So Noah, does this mean there is a locker from your old rear d60 that is coming free?

Just asking  :laughing7:   :headbang:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on January 25, 2015, 08:20:45 AM
So Noah, does this mean there is a locker from your old rear d60 that is coming free?

Just asking  :laughing7:   :headbang:

In the name of the greater good of all Dodges some or all of it will be a part of Project keystone.... but seriously it is essentially worse than an open diff.... The limited slip / crap-loc rears are not worth the effort unless used on the street with small tires. The only time they work is when they dont need too... When they need to lock in and keep the tires turning when it gets gnarly they just suck  :dontknow:

rjtx667

Yeah thats true.

I think I am going to have to do something different soon, the miller locker is very unforgiving on the street. Even when wet. Not that its on the street a lot.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

This weekend we were doing a little test and tune on the RCs and the Top Hand. Apparently my clutch was on its last legs and decided to blow....no slipping and the release bearing looks ok, but I think the springs in the pressure plate or clutch hub may be wasted  :dontknow: long story short it is no longer functional  :violent1: ..... This week is going to be a blow out of parts installing hopefully.... the gears&locker should be here Wednesday... If all goes well I will have a clutch in it by Thursday and maybe install the new D70 fridayish.  :thumbsup:

rjtx667

Sounds like a good time.

I took tomorrow off to replace some bad lifters in the 2003 durango and to hopefully work on the cummins. New injectors are here and ready to go, just waiting on the leak down tester adapter to test leak down and compression.

Still can't start it even after all thats done  :angry5:

new fuel filter setup won't be here till thurs. Can't risk those nice new injectors with the factory filter setup after all the issues its had.

My fingers are crossed the test go well.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

FYI If anyone wants to put a doubler in their truck make sure to replace anything that would require pulling the transmission to fix. IE-- Clutch!!

That Doubler weighs a Shit Ton!!! And is not simple to pull out. Noah Damn near broke his back when it slipped off the transmission jack.

Good news is Noah figured out how to blow out a spring in the clutch and discovered I had a bell housing to replace his booger-ed one  ::)

rjtx667

sounds like a interesting time... we need. a web cam at the shop lol

at least there is no shortage of spare parts
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins