News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Just signed in

Started by Over the Hill, March 05, 2014, 06:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Hill

Been lurkin this board for awhile now. Decided to make the move. Don't like the changes coming to RCC.
84 Shortbox 4x4 318,727

crazzywolfie

welcome :hello:. i don't see the changes being that bad. the setup looks similar to the setup on most other forums i hang out on. you get use to them even if it feels strange for a bit

The War Wagon

Welcome aboard!   :thumbsup:

RCwhat? :icon_scratch:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

Over the Hill

Thanks fellers, I'll try not to be too much of a smart ass. But sometimes it just bubbles out of me, just look the other way.
84 Shortbox 4x4 318,727

SixGun

Bubbles huh, more like plug the nose and leave the room.  :laughing7:

Elwenil

Not trying to start anything but I do have to point out that no changes have been made on RCC as of yet and I am merely trying to gauge the membership's opinion of a software update.  Everyone has their chance to voice their opinion on the proposed change and if you don't like it, I would much rather you post up and say so and why rather than just cut out and leave.  If the update does happen, it's a fairly routine for a forum as most update their software every 5 years or so and I'm sure many of us remember the last one Sam did a few years before the sale.  I also can't help but point out the irony that you don't like a change in forum software on RCC but you are now on a another Ramcharger forum that uses different software.   ;D

Again, not trying to start an argument or anything but if you have concerns post them up in the thread I started and let's hear them.  RCC is for the members and if VS decides to make changes no one likes, it will be the members that will have to tell them it's not happening.  I'm not saying you have to stick with RCC either as we are all free to go wherever we wish and we can all be members of as meany forums as we choose but if you are truly leaving because of VS, I would like them to be able to read that themselves so they know that members are leaving due to changes, or proposed changes or whatever is coming down the line.  In the end we may all end up leaving and finding a home here or on Sam's new site but I'm not jumping ship completely until it's actually going down.   :thumbsup:
1988 Ramcharger-Mil-Spec AW450 Project-318EFI-NP435 4 speed-NP205 Transfer Case-Front & Rear Dana 60s-Braden Wormdrive Front Winch
I do not like shortcuts.  Any job worth doing is worth doing right.
Lex Talionis

ProjectM880

Quote from: Elwenil on March 05, 2014, 11:17:38 PM
Not trying to start anything but I do have to point out that no changes have been made on RCC as of yet and I am merely trying to gauge the membership's opinion of a software update.  Everyone has their chance to voice their opinion on the proposed change and if you don't like it, I would much rather you post up and say so and why rather than just cut out and leave.  If the update does happen, it's a fairly routine for a forum as most update their software every 5 years or so and I'm sure many of us remember the last one Sam did a few years before the sale.  I also can't help but point out the irony that you don't like a change in forum software on RCC but you are now on a another Ramcharger forum that uses different software.   ;D

Again, not trying to start an argument or anything but if you have concerns post them up in the thread I started and let's hear them.  RCC is for the members and if VS decides to make changes no one likes, it will be the members that will have to tell them it's not happening.  I'm not saying you have to stick with RCC either as we are all free to go wherever we wish and we can all be members of as meany forums as we choose but if you are truly leaving because of VS, I would like them to be able to read that themselves so they know that members are leaving due to changes, or proposed changes or whatever is coming down the line.  In the end we may all end up leaving and finding a home here or on Sam's new site but I'm not jumping ship completely until it's actually going down.   :thumbsup:

I was just messing with you about drinking the Kool-Aid,
I moved over here mainly because  this is where the active Texas Members are that actaully go to the meets.
Also Myself and others on this site invested alot of time, effort, and are own money setting up RamJams( Which Promotes the Site) with no help at all from the site owners. None. No Sponsorship, No Vendors, Nothing. I couldn;t even get them to respond to my Emails or post in the moderator board.
So I use RCC for tech and info, but I wont invest my time or effort into promoting a site or the events it has with no help or investment from the site owners.
Sam would would put alot of time and effort into the Vendors, Sponorships and RamJams and expected nothing in return.
VS just wants Ad Space and selling more vendor sections to companies that have nothing to do with the site.

Over the Hill

Quote from: Elwenil on March 05, 2014, 11:17:38 PM

Quote from: SixGun on March 05, 2014, 11:04:04 PM
Bubbles huh, more like plug the nose and leave the room.  :laughing7:

Wow didn't take 24hrs and reaction sets in over nothing, I didn't say I totally left RCC. And even if I did no one will
    really care will they. And the home page here looks like rcc to me.
84 Shortbox 4x4 318,727

The War Wagon

Quote from: Over the Hill on March 06, 2014, 08:28:42 AM
    Wow didn't take 24hrs and reaction sets in over nothing, I didn't say I totally left RCC. And even if I did no one will
    really care will they. And the home page here looks like rcc to me.

Ain't nuttin' but a thang...  ;)   

I came here for personal reasons; RCnet is more laid-back, and you get more personal attention to technical questions, mainly because we're a little smaller and better focused, I think.  I still read technical stuff over there, but we're more like "Cheers" over here - everybody knows your name.  ;D

SixGun

So who's Norm and who's Woody? :tongue3:

I think that guys will go where their friends go. As for tech, right now its at RCC with its large pool of knowledgeable people.  Seems like there have been some big fights lately which is upsetting. We are all on the same team.

Elwenil

Sorry guys, didn't mean to get everyone stirred up.  ProjectM880, I knew you were joking about the Kool-Aid and I don't blame anyone for coming and going at their will.  We all have our own ideas about what makes a forum "ideal" for us and if anyone feels the need to move, so be it, regardless of the reason.  I just want to know the reason, or more importantly, I was VS to know the reason.  If VS is not doing anything to support our hobby, then tell them.  If you don't like the look of the new forum, even though that's totally flexible, tell them.  If we serve cheese with no crackers, tell them.  Things will not change for the better unless we guide them.  While they do own the forum and can do whatever they want with it, we are the lifeblood of the forum and if they drive us all away, their investment means nothing.  It's akin to buying a condo to rent out the rooms and then running off all the renters.

Also, Over The Hill, I am sorry if I took your post above seriously, but text is flat and lifeless while speech is more dimensional and we can tell from your tone and inflection what your meaning is.  With text, we take it at face value and first impression.  Since VS bought RCC I have been a bit paranoid about people leaving and I knew the idea of the software upgrade would be a good excuse for people to leave so naturally since that was what was on my mind, that was the conclusion I jumped to.  It's not big deal, like I said above, I don't blame anyone for leaving or staying wherever they are most comfortable.  But again, I just wish people would voice their concerns.

So far VS has been pretty much "hands off" with RCC which is both good and bad.  Good that they haven't come in with a trillion ads and crazy demands but bad when trying to get problems fixed and them taking any sort of productive interest in the forum.  I'm a little worried that they might just swap the forum over and just leave it however they want it.  If enough people voice their concerns about the forum keeping the same look and feel, they should listen.  I'm not entirely sure how VS operates but judging from what I've seen it seems they don't really seem to babysit any of the forums.  Everytime I have contacted VS needing help, I have gotten a different person.  This makes me think that the support guys at VS that act as forum Admins are just a pool of workers who just take a support ticket and go try to fix the problem on whatever forum it is on.  Similarly on Pirate there were some changes made that were not made by the person VS made initial contact with and were making changes that were not "part of the deal".  Seems these people have a job to go around the various forums and put up certain advertising or features and they just go from one to the other regardless of the forum topic.  If that is the case, then we probably won't ever get anyone from VS that likes Ramchargers or even drives a Dodge anything so it's up to us to shape and mold what happns on RCC.  To them it's just another forum, to us it's the place we hang out, we chat about various topics and trade tech tips and knowledge about the trucks we love.  There is no way to make everyone happy but I like to think that we can at least keep things on a pretty even keel.

Again, I'm not here trying to keep people from leaving and coming to RC.net.  Hell, I'm here and while RCC keeps me pretty busy I try to check in here and on BombedCummins a couple times a week when I have the time just to see what everyone is up to.  All I'm saying is if you love RCC like a lot of us do, don't give up on it just because we have a headless driver at the wheel.  Grab the wheel and help steer us in the direction we want to go and maybe, just maybe, we can keep RCC the place that's it's been for many of us for years.

Oh and um, the ads.  ::cough:: AdBlock Plus and NoScript take care of all that stuff, regardless of what forum you are on.  ::cough::  ;D
1988 Ramcharger-Mil-Spec AW450 Project-318EFI-NP435 4 speed-NP205 Transfer Case-Front & Rear Dana 60s-Braden Wormdrive Front Winch
I do not like shortcuts.  Any job worth doing is worth doing right.
Lex Talionis

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on March 06, 2014, 09:44:38 AM

I'm big, I'm a know-it-all, and I'm probably the northern-most member on here, so I'll volunteer for "Norm."  :tongue3:

Over the Hill

Quote from: SixGun on March 06, 2014, 09:44:38 AM

I think that guys will go where their friends go. As for tech, right now its at RCC with its large pool of knowledgeable people.  Seems like there have been some big fights lately which is upsetting. We are all on the same team.

Woody? war wagon took norm so I'll leave the woody for someone else. :happy3:
84 Shortbox 4x4 318,727

rjtx667

Man I am sorry I came into this a bit late... my new job has me swapped for a bit longer.

I will say a few things:

1) this is the same software that Sam used with RCC
2) Sam wanted to use the domains to start this if I did not
3) I did this not to try and compete with RCC, but to make sure my post history, pics, and write ups were sure to never go anywhere. Because I would have some control over it.

I still like the concept of RCC and the technical knowledge. Even most of the members. I see RCC and RC.net as kind of complementing each other.

With that said, the other thing I have said over and over... this is not my forum. I provide the "tools" but this is community owned and community ran.

I think that is important to me, and to other members. Nothing RCC can do about that because it was never considered to be community owned. There is nothing wrong with advertising or getting support to keep a site up, I am just in a position that does not need that support at this point in time.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins