News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 81 ram

Started by crazzywolfie, August 13, 2012, 10:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Ahhh....but would you drive it more if you were comfortable that it was dependable?

I'm torn myself.  I want to get get rid of my "newer" daily driver with its associated costs of full insurance coverage and car payment. However, i have come to love my little hatchback.  Its like a little truck with great mileage and comfortable with a very nice sound system. These extra costs though could go into the 4x4 build. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

i don't drive it less because it is less dependable. it is actually really reliable. just most of the time i only drive it around town. it and the ramcharger get about the same fuel mileage around town so it makes more sense to drive the truck when i can. save the ramcharger to do all the highway driving since it can get 14+mpg on the highway easily. i actually really like driving the truck. it rides pretty nice, has a good stereo and suits my personality a bit more than the ramcharger. 1 day i might turn it back into my daily driver but it might be fuel injected by then. when the ramcharger dies it will be donating its engine/trans and many other parts to my 81.

crazzywolfie

been driving my truck around a lot since Thursday and so far so good. i did get a bit worried a few times when the engine would hit about 200*f but then the thermostat would open and temp would drop :thumbsup:. just have to toss the electric fans back on and it will be ready to run the streets this summer :13:.

SixGun

Are you using the 195* tstat?

crazzywolfie

to tell the truth i can't remember. i am almost certain i got a 185* in it since i got the electric fans but then again i might have swapped it last fall for a 195* since i was driving the truck last winter. either way i need to get the electric fans back in just to be safe.

SixGun

On the V6, I ran a 180* tstat and it ran very well and stayed cool.

I heard that some of the sensors need the 195* to operate properly. The 318 is running a 195* now. The only issue is on the highway above 70 mph, it gradually climbs in temp. Nothing dangerous but it is noticeable.  I wonder if what I read is true?  I am considering going back to a 180*. With speed limits as high as 85 mph, it would be nice to take advantage without worry.

crazzywolfie

since my truck is carburated i don't have to worry about a computer complaining about the engine being too cold for too long. when i bought the truck it actually had a 160* thermostat.

the only time i notice much of a temp increase on my temp gauge is when i would drive up Caledon mountain. usually the temp gauge stays pretty steady while driving most of the time otherwise even when i was doing 85mph on the highways that allow it. i think a 180* thermostat might be ok in your truck. i think i have read that they mainly use the 195* thermostat to help keep emissions output down.

SixGun

I think your right about the emissions.  I don't think I'll swap it out till I have to go into the motor or drain the coolant for any reason.

crazzywolfie

ya i hope i don't have to drain the coolant in my truck any time too soon. i have got too much practice draining the rad on this truck. the coolant in this truck is always a nice shade of green tho.

bullboy0852

At least you had to drain it, mine would drain itself and i had to stop to fill it up with water more often than gas. Thankfully thats been taken care of.

crazzywolfie

well if i didn't drain it the rad would have drained itself all over the driveway since the most recent leak was very close to the bottom and i had just topped up the rad.

rjtx667

only bad thing about lower degree tstats is your heater is not as good. Thats my issue in the 2000 ramcharger, the heater stinks because the water is not hot enough.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

that is what i like about the electric cooling fans on the rad. i can still let my truck hit 200* by just letting it idle. last winter before my fan controller died i actually had the fans setup to only kick on if the engine hit 220* or something like that so my truck would get nice and warm.

rjtx667

that works great sitting still, but going down the road at 70 mph it cools itself off pretty quick... or at least my 408 does. Even pulling a load the fans won't hardly come on unless I am in stop and go traffic or the A/C is on.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

as long as you got the coolant up to temp once in a while the heater shouldn't stink tho. i understand the fans rarely coming on. mine are pretty much the same way. they rarely come on or are needed.