News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 81 ram

Started by crazzywolfie, August 13, 2012, 10:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

thanks. been trying to make some changes in my life for the better and fixing stuff on my truck sooner is one of the things is on the list. i got a crap load of part just sitting around waiting to go on my truck. just really need to get it done. i have been meaning to change the ATF in this truck for 3+ years. i have had the filter waiting just never did it.

crazzywolfie

been busy working today. got the new power steering box in and so far it is working pretty and not leaking. the only thing that sucks is i think the steering is a bit sloppier now. it definitely don't feel the exact same as it was before. did also run into a few small issue but nothing i couldn't overcome. i was originally planning on just using the old power steering pump that was on it and just installing new hoses but i couldn't get the old hose off it so i ended up swapping in the spare pump that i had sitting around from my 91.

rjtx667

your rag joint looks like it needs to be rebuilt  :dontknow:

its not fun but its doable... does not last for long either.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

that was my attempt at rebuilding it. those things are not easy to get back together. i might have been better off to leave it alone but the stock rubber was torn and the grease looked very brown. i also used the best of all the pieces i had between the coupler rebuild kit and used parts to get the tightest fit i could. most of the parts i put back in were the original ones since they looked better than the aftermarket one. really need to see about getting a universal joint or something for it because i really don't see myself spending the $250-$300 on one of those Borgeson shafts would cost me by the time it would get to me.

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

i know amazon is the cheapest but by the time you add shipping, taxes and the exchange rate it is about $250-$300 Canadian.

SixGun

Sorry, that really sucks.

crazzywolfie

ya. the exchange rate is the real killer. that is kind of why i am hoping to go the redneck way. i think i have read that some jeeps use a universal joint that could be used and jeeps are a dime a dozen so it should most likely be easy to find what i want cheap.

ProjectPW

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 30, 2015, 08:24:23 PM
really need to see about getting a universal joint or something for it because i really don't see myself spending the $250-$300 on one of those Borgeson shafts would cost me by the time it would get to me.

how about 25$ and a sawzall  :headbang:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-36-Spline-X-3-4-Round-Black-Powder-Coated-Steering-Shaft-U-Joint-Power-New-/141013090486?hash=item20d50900b6&vxp=mtr

i think that is the right size.. I dont remember if the steering box is 32 spline or 36.. regardless they are both available cheap on ebay.. just cut the old one off and reattach the new.  I would recommend welding it to your stock shaft  :thumbsup:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

crazzywolfie

thanks :great:. that is more so in my trucks budget. i got no problem welding to the stock shaft.

SixGun

That's a really good alternative.   :thumbsup:

I'm sure you have an alternative for a slip joint also.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on August 01, 2015, 08:07:41 AM
That's a really good alternative.   :thumbsup:

I'm sure you have an alternative for a slip joint also.

no slip needed... we used this method on Keystone... I believe the later columns actually have some slip built into the column :thumbsup:

crazzywolfie

i don't think it would be hard to make a slip joint if needed but since there is not one in the shaft stock. i am pretty sure i have read that the steering columns have a slip joint but they are only there more so for if you get in an accident and even then there is really not that much slip in them. it may be on the list of stuff to do eventually

crazzywolfie

well i have been doing lots of driving in the truck lately and finally actually checked the fuel mileage for the first time in forever and was getting a surprising 14.3MPG. not great but was a lot better than the 9 or so MPG i thought i was getting. i think i should have probably got a lot better mileage with the way i have been driving the truck to work and back but apparently not. i am thinking about trying to tune up the holley that is on there or swap it out for the 390cfm holley i got sitting around and see about tuning it just right. i almost swear i remember the truck use to have more power but i could be wrong. i have messed with so much since then so who knows

ProjectPW

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 02, 2015, 05:03:25 PM
well i have been doing lots of driving in the truck lately and finally actually checked the fuel mileage for the first time in forever and was getting a surprising 14.3MPG. not great but was a lot better than the 9 or so MPG i thought i was getting. i think i should have probably got a lot better mileage with the way i have been driving the truck to work and back but apparently not. i am thinking about trying to tune up the holley that is on there or swap it out for the 390cfm holley i got sitting around and see about tuning it just right. i almost swear i remember the truck use to have more power but i could be wrong. i have messed with so much since then so who knows

That is pretty dang good MPG... my 86 bone stock 2wd RC is lucky if it gets 12.5-13