News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 81 ram

Started by crazzywolfie, August 13, 2012, 10:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dracen

ok cool I'm current;y using green led strips inside the truck. going to run some behind the grill and I'm thinking 2 strips at each end of the truck then 4 strips down the side tat way it will be really bright and no dark spots at all but I'm also thinking about using the RGD strips so I can turn it white to work as rock lights.

crazzywolfie

cool. i really want to put RGB lights throughout my truck. then you could change the way your truck looks. if you have ever played with some RGB led lights and the dimmers for them you could get some unique color. i got some that i plan on mounting in my box but i got some rust the i would like to tackle before i install them.

crazzywolfie

well i finally found my ambient temp sensor for the the overhead console so i got to test it out. for the most part things seem to work good. the only issue i have been finding is that the computer don't seem to have much of a memory and keeps resetting to *F after you turn it off and the compass don't seem to do anything at all :dontknow:. i guess i will just have to keep my eyes open for another one but for the time being i can still modify the console to make it fit so that in the future i just have to swap out the computer part in the console.
here is a pic of it working

love the new light location and how well the led lights light up the cab.

The War Wagon

Soooo... you want to turn your RC into a fiber optic Christmas tree?   :tongue3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KDhRzfxsh4s
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

Dracen

Nothing like a good set of led lights. Im no longer buying cheap china leds the are dark and burn out fast compaired to cree leds... burned out 6 china leds in 3 months and i hate changing bulds right after putting them in. Im even looking at going led headlight bulbs in my wifes durango.

I like the console as well... you might have to look up drawings  to make sure the composs is part of the computer not another wired in item. As far as the memory no hoding it mught have an acc (constant hot) power wire for memory like the stereo does. Once again the wiring diagram would help.

crazzywolfie

the ones i used were cheap Chinese ones. so far i have not had an issue with the overhead led lights in the 2 years i have been running them in my ramcharger. i have had a few led dash light quit working but it seems fine now.

the compass is built into it. there is this transformer looking thing inside the computer. it has the constant power like it should or else the lights would not work. i think there might maybe be something wrong with the computer or it might just have something to do with it being a pre 93 overhead console.
Quote from: The War Wagon on June 06, 2014, 08:01:34 AM
Soooo... you want to turn your RC into a fiber optic Christmas tree?   :tongue3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KDhRzfxsh4s
lol. not quite. i just like being able to see in the cab and the stock light would just not get the job done and there was really not much you could do to make it better

crazzywolfie

so anyone want to fix my rad for me? ugh. looks like i am going to have to fix it  tomorrow. it seems like a pretty good leak. i am not catching any breaks. stuff just keeps breaking on me.

crazzywolfie

i also forgot to share that i got some new backup light for the truck. hopefully these ones last a lot longer than the other ones.

crazzywolfie

well i keep changing my mind with the overhead console. since my brother in law is scrapping his van i grab the overhead console out of it. so far it looks like it might fit. it seems to work properly so i will have to see how it looks in place

crazzywolfie

nearly 2 months later i finally get around to fixing the hole in my rad. the major reason for me was i developed another even worse leak so i had no choice but to pull the rad. i was able to solder up the really bad leak but because of where the small leak was i was not able to get solder to sit on the hole so i ended up just covering it with 2 part epoxy which seems to have done the job. since i had the rad out anyway i decided to clean it up and toss some paint on it. the job is not perfect but it looks a lot better than it did with the flaking/missing paint.

crazzywolfie

about damn time i did some work on my truck. replaced both motor mounts on my 81. what a huge difference it made. the one motor mount that i knew was bad even looked like it was collapsed when under weight and fell apart when i went to remove it. should have taken care of this a long time ago. it just sucks that i had put less than 20,000km's on the set of motor mounts that i just replaced 3 or 4 year ago and the one already failed.

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

made in taiwan but i think that is pretty much the same thing lol. the new ones seem like they should last longer. they are not no $200 motor mounts but i would be happy if they last longer and don't fail like the old one. at least these ones were only $12 each which is not too bad. that is a lot cheaper than the $50 each that the local parts store wants for the exact same parts.

crazzywolfie

was suppose to pick up patio stones tomorrow but my BIL decide to do it tonight instead since it is suppose to rain tomorrow. 23 patios stone at 80lbs each. only 1840lbs. my truck did pretty good and squat was minimal. i think my bumper only dropped about 4" or so when fully loaded. 

crazzywolfie

well the weather has been getting decent out lately so finally got to do some wrenching on it. had to patch up the rad again. got another leak. i think i got it patched up but need to take it outside and pressure test it with some water to be sure. 1 day i might have to get a new rad but i will probably just keep patching this 1 for now. hard to justify $200+ on a rad for a vehicle that you only put about 1000miles/year on.