News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Hidden Falls April 18-20 Head Count

Started by ProjectM880, March 29, 2014, 08:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

well I just finished loading up the 93 on the trailer, still have a bit more to do before I can head out but hopefully I can clear out before 10 or 11 am.

hoping for a quicker drive than last time  :steeringwheel:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Hope you have a safe and UNeventful trip.

Happy trails :steeringwheel:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectPW

Doing some final bolt tightening and taking care of some loose ends with the tow vehicle this morning....hope to be wheeling this afternoon  :steeringwheel:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectM880

Im loading up right now about to head to Noahs and pick up the ole beast of a Ramcharger! Should be a Fun Weekend!

rjtx667

in marble falls. drive was pretty good minus traffic in temple.

also seems my trailer brakes are almost non existent.... not much fun.

also while in Walmart someone stole my trailer spare.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on April 18, 2014, 06:46:56 PM
in marble falls. drive was pretty good minus traffic in temple.

also seems my trailer brakes are almost non existent.... not much fun.

also while in Walmart someone stole my trailer spare.

Well that sucks. :angry4:

rjtx667

so when I pull into the park I go to pay and get the cabin key. it seems my other 2 visits in the Mexico charger were not noticed because they were talking and asking questions about if... called if a 2 door durango lol

then before I hear out he goes, I saw another ramcharger earlier, y'all having a get together? I guess that suggest how often they see ramchargers?  :laughing7: :headbang:

wow  :tard:

amazing what a few months do, I high centered the rear end on park road 2!!!! this was our maiden night run and Eric's truck testing lap. His 37's did much better than my 31's.

once I got freed of that (a winch with no where to winch too lol) I had to place some rocks in a stack to make it over a large step, I made it but it also broke my lift gate and 1/2 my stuff fell out the back  :laughing7:

I wish I would have taken a picture of what Noah and myself rigged up to keep it closed till we got back to camp. once I got back I worked on it and I think it's good now, maybe even better than before.

I worry if the park road is now a level3-4 what are the other trails?

it was funny, Eric did not realize I was stuck and kept going for a bit. I had 2 other guys in some little off road thing find me and we were talking trying to figure out how to get it moved. they mentioned something about damaging the truck, I just looked at them and said I only paid 600 for it, it can handle a few dents. without even thinking one guy said wow that was a deal,I will give you 900 for it. lol. I just smiled and said no, I put more into it with lift and tires. they seemed to understand. they were nice guys and I appreciated the helping hand. eventually Eric came back and a little tug set me on my way.

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

That sounds like fun :laughing7: Was your wife with you?  I bet it scared the crap outta her when the lift gate broke.  Did the guys try to remove it like Lances RC. Lol

I've heard it before but what happens when you high center a diff?  Is that where you get stuck on the axle housing and the tires free spin?

Did Dave or Lance make it out there?

ProjectPW

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

workgoats

Well, wish I was there but the Magnum and the transmission are back in.  Now all I have to do is re-wire for the megasquirt and make the shifters work with the magnum's kickdown.  Almost certain to be a conflict there.

Then hope it will start and tuning will not be too long...

ProjectM880

Well It was a  good weekend for the 78 Ramcharger. That thing went everywhere I pointed it. But it took some doing just to get there and get started........

2 new tires on the rear of Chevy
2 New tires on the Trailer
After rebuilding the carb the night before, It was still running like crap. So After getting to Hidden Falls we also discovered the gas tank leaked. So we made a make shift gas tank jack stand on the back of the trailer and used some very Well Engineered electrical connection to wedge in the sending unit to get it to stop leaking.

Got that fixed and the truck still ran like crap. So we said screw it, and I ran into town and bought a new Edelbrock carb at orielly's. Get back to camp, get it installed and it runs a little better but still not right. We said screw it and hit the trail. After about 20 mins running in low granny gear range at 2000rpm I realized the damn idle wouldn't go back down. stuck at 2000 rpm we just kept going up the very torn up Park Road 2. We got a head of ryan because we didn't realize he got hung up. When we go to the top of the road Noah jumped out and adjusted the carb. Set the Idle at a 1000rpm and that thing ran like a champ all weekend!!! Just needed to burn out all the EVIL that the previous carb caused.

Ran back down the hill and gave Ryan a hand.

Day two we had a great run around the whole park. Ran all the trails on the fence line and a few others with no  problems. Ryan was very patient with my low geared RC since I was in granny gear most of the way just crawling over everything. The RC rides a little ruff but it certainly doesn't have any traction issues. It hooks up great!!
Later while Ryan was working on his trailer brakes we decided to go out for a short run that ended up being a long run which lead us to making a bunch of jeep guys have dodge envy, and finding out the  limits of the carb, fenders, and heart rate.

We started off going on the east side of the park. We crawled over everything with no problems. We get to the area where Dave, Lance, Noah and I helped the yellow jeep last time. We are sitting on top of the hill that looks at the next one and all the jeep guys are working on making up it. They backed up hit it again. Eventually they all made it up it but were just sitting there. So I got tired of waiting and just headed down the hill and up the next hoping they would move by the time I got there. I came roaring up that top ledge in low range, up and over not even skipping a beat. All the jeep guys stared at us in amazement! one walked up to the RC and said wow that thing is geared low ! Yup, yall have a nice day and away I drove. Well we ended up on the Slither trail Level 3 that now is a nasty 4. This is the tail I lost the driveshaft on the jeep. Where lance got bound up and puked tranny fluid and never made it. And where several of use previously turned around and by passed it. Danger dave made it last time with a  whole lot of throttle! Well we hit it in Granny low and it wasn't happening. We got all bound up the truck died a few times and we were stuck at a really scary angle. I got it started again, Asked Noah " shall we try 2nd gear?" He replied " STAND ON IT!!" with a quick movement of the feet between the clutch, brake, and throttle. Truck rev up and roared we held on for dear life!! This thing scream up the trail bouncing!! Growling!! Grabbing!! We made it to the next ledge cut through the brush and made it up the ledge on the right. We parked the truck on the top and inspected the truck for damage and are pulse rate. About that time a jeep group pasted us and Noah pointed down the trail and said stay to the left!! He looked at us, the RC and the trail and replied... Umm, I still got payments on this jeep.  It was fun time. We found Ryan on the trail and he was letting the kiddos take a crack at driving his RC.  I took Noah back to camp so he could take his blood pressure medicine ........ Beer.

Sunday...... Well Sunday is all Noah's fault.... I will let Ryan Tell yall about Sunday morning drive up Green Mile  :steeringwheel:

rjtx667

Bitter sweat... Had a great time with Eric and Noah. We did mostly basic trails and minus getting high centered on the rear dif Friday night it was great.

Until green mile this morning.

I think, as I told Noah, this is all his fault (and not because he choose the trail) but because this weekend they were talking about u joints and how everyone blows caps or breaks bearings but never break the u joints.

Well I proved him wrong. This would also happen to pretty much be the only time I have heard Noah say "You were not afraid of the skinny pedal" (or something like that).

Last fall going up green mile was a challenge for my open dif mostly stock trail rig, so I knew this time it would be worse from what we saw on the other trails. It went pretty good right up until the end, then it went really bad.

I guess my foot might have been a little heavy, but its been a tried and true way (pretty much since I started wheeling a few years ago) to get up "Places one should not be with 31" tires "  :laughing7:

so once the dust settled and I could tell I was not moving. I tried to put it in park and heard the tranny complain about it. I keep my foot on the brake as Noah ran over and said the rear driveshaft was gone. He pulled it out and I managed to sheer off 2 of the 4 ears.

We tried pulling and winching (First time to use the winch on the tails, sadly it was for my own recovery  :violent1: ) we did not make much progress.

Noah looks again, Somewhere along the same time of that I also managed to break not 1 but 2 axle shafts on the driver side (cad stub and outter stub.) While Noah is trying to beat the u joint out to free the bind Eric yells "He has manual hubs, just disengage the hubs" It was a great day to have those hubs vs factory. We were also very shocked that the hubs were still in perfect working order since these are the "cheap" all metal mile marker hubs.

Once the bind was gone we got pulled up onto level ground reviewed a few things and pulled out my tow rope. It was a nice slow stroll back to camp.

I have go pro footage of a few trails, but vimeo is still processing the last one.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I bet you wish you had brought that extra driveshaft after all. :tongue3:

Looks like you'll be keeping that one now.   :lol_hitting:

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on April 20, 2014, 08:46:27 PM
I bet you wish you had brought that extra driveshaft after all. :tongue3:

Looks like you'll be keeping that one now.   :lol_hitting:

I've got the original drive shafts off my 78 that may work for you if your interested Richard .

rjtx667

Naw, drive shaft is fine. the u joint is toast. We believe it had been "fixed" before as it is not factory looking and the dif side of the driveshaft had been beefed up with a heavier grade u joint.

The driveshaft is still ready for a new home.

I will say I question now selling the extra axle's, but Eric keeps saying 1 ton.  :icon_scratch:

I did not have room for them anyways. I still have a dana 44 rear end I have to scrap somewhere
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins