News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Hidden Falls April 18-20 Head Count

Started by ProjectM880, March 29, 2014, 08:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on April 20, 2014, 08:50:26 PM
Naw, drive shaft is fine. the u joint is toast. We believe it had been "fixed" before as it is not factory looking and the dif side of the driveshaft had been beefed up with a heavier grade u joint.

The driveshaft is still ready for a new home.

I will say I question now selling the extra axle's, but Eric keeps saying 1 ton.  :icon_scratch:

I did not have room for them anyways. I still have a dana 44 rear end I have to scrap somewhere

1 ton  :13: 1 ton :dance: 1 ton :headbang:

So far mine are holding together, Gear down throttle up  :thumbsup:

I think I need to drive in the back of the pack now as slow as I was driving this weekend  :steeringwheel:

rjtx667

it was not bad.

If I ever get my blown head gasket fixed it would effect my A/C coldness less  :evil6:

Granted I guess getting that fixed is getting bumped down the list a few now.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on April 20, 2014, 08:50:26 PM
Naw, drive shaft is fine. the u joint is toast. We believe it had been "fixed" before as it is not factory looking and the dif side of the driveshaft had been beefed up with a heavier grade u joint.

The driveshaft is still ready for a new home.

I will say I question now selling the extra axle's, but Eric keeps saying 1 ton.  :icon_scratch:

I did not have room for them anyways. I still have a dana 44 rear end I have to scrap somewhere

Lots of JEEPS run D44 rears.  What is Ron's?  His drivetrain is from  a Cherokee I believe.

As for the driveshaft, I thought you said that you broke off 2 ears.  I remember Noah mentioning never breaking the cross on uj's.  Famous last words. Lol  I just ordered axle joints.  Guess I shouda picked up some spares.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

look at the picture, it was the ears of the u joint. Drive shaft is just fine.

Its hard to say what gave way first, but I would guess it was probably the bolt head which let the u joint get into a bind and snap.

How I did the front... well I am guessing that was having a front end land hard from a jump. It was no danger dave jump... but I had to try since he was not present.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on April 20, 2014, 09:09:39 PM

Its hard to say what gave way first, but I would guess it was probably the bolt head which let the u joint get into a bind and snap.

How I did the front... well I am guessing that was having a front end land hard from a jump. It was no danger dave jump... but I had to try since he was not present.

:laughing4: :sign0004:

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on April 20, 2014, 09:09:39 PM

First there was DANGER DAVE!

Now we have RECKLESS RYAN!

rjtx667

Quote from: ProjectM880 on April 20, 2014, 09:20:57 PM

In my defense I was just doing what Noah yells to every one "press on the skinny pedal!"

besides I have not rolled anything... yet. Though funny enough my Dad told me he thought I was going to tell him that when I called him. :laughing7:

And here I thought I was usually safe and cautious with my kids on board... maybe thats it.... when there is a bypass I will chicken out and do the simple to be safe... but when I don't get the by pass thats when I get in trouble  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectM880 on April 20, 2014, 09:20:57 PM

Well without Dave, Ernest or Will present, its good to see that someone stepped up to say, "Hold my Pepsi and watch this!".  :notworthy:    :sign0098:

taz_man440

Quote from: SixGun on April 20, 2014, 09:42:47 PM
Well without Dave, Ernest or Will present, its good to see that someone stepped up to say, "Hold my Pepsi and watch this!".  :notworthy:    :sign0098:

Dr. Pepper thank you..LOL    Awesome adventure guys, wish I could have been there...
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

rjtx667

I think I am just digging a hole trying to prove my innocence, but I will try on e more.

1st I was following, and as we all know it's a well they did it and know what I have so obviously they think I can make it. not a real fair game when you compare my mostly stock (only a hodge podge lift kit) vs a rebuilt (read new vs 21 years old) with 4.10 gears lockers front and rear and 1 ton axles.

2nd it's pure math. statistically speaking we all know anytime a group goes out someone will break something to some varying degree of damage. this time there were 2 trucks. Eric's was brand new so to speak, and he had driveshaft and other issues the last outing with the jeep. So the odds of me having a failure were very high. In all it was not a disastrous failure, 1 major and 1 minor we just did not have replacement parts for the minor.

ok I rest my case lol :confused2:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Looks like a job for the Go Pro to sort out the truth from half fiction. :headbang:

Speaking of CAD axles, I just removed yours from the 91.  I need the stub but you can have the inner axle if you want it. Of course, if you are gonna pull one from a donor, it might be easier to take the whole thing stub, inner, uj and all.

rjtx667

I might take you up on that, if I keep the 44 I will need spare parts lol. even if I pull a donor it wi need a new u joint. the worst thing is if I keep it I have to pull the carrier back out because that seal I just replaced is now toast. :angry5:

guess that means I get a front locker one way or another lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I was telling Yolanda about your "ordeal" and the first thing she said was, "OMG isn't Green Mile the same trail we had a problem on?". Well she was right, Ram Jam 2012 on Sunday morning, just like you.  We got a bit brave too. I still had the V6 and going up that first steep incline about 2/3 up we spun out in the loose gravel.  I hit the brakes and we starting sliding back but caught solid ground.  We reversed a ways and decided to give it another try full throttle.  Spun out again but this time when I hit the brakes we kept sliding back.  That part of the incline curves and when we came down this time we went over the embankment and fortunately hit a tree which stopped our descent.  Yolanda was white knuckled and in full panic mode.  Will, Ernest and Justin were behind us.  I had one wheel on each side of the embankment preventing traction even with my locker. I had a shovel but Justin pulled around us and wanted to try his new winch out. I hadn't installed mine yet. Lol Busted a rear tail light and scratched up the bumper and tail gate.  Hurt my pride most of all.

rjtx667

I don't have hurt pride,  just a need for upgrades  :headbang:

I actually have a little pride that I was able to break a u joint like that... I think it's impressive  :evil6:

but yeah I need some 33's or 35's and at least a front locker. I might just have to repair the front axle for now and go with 33's. when I replace it I can put a locker in it. I am going to look for a deal for 1 ton axles first but we shall see
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun