News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2000 Ramcharger de Mexico

Started by GetAwayDriver, April 20, 2014, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetAwayDriver

Hello,

I'm a regular over at Moparts.com, owner of at least 10 cars/trucks and 20-year Chrysler employee from the Detroit area. I've known about the Mexichargers since working out in Phoenix at Chrysler's proving grounds when they were new and I'd see them occasionally running around the area with Mexican plates. Oddly enough, I don't think we ever had one in our test fleet... and we tested all kinds of weird stuff; Chinese Jeeps, Euro everything,  and even tests to simulate the beatings our B-series vans took on Mexican back roads.

Anyways, that time spent at the proving grounds gave me a real love for the Phoenix area (or maybe just a hatred of Michigan winters) so I head out there pretty often. A few weeks ago I started thinking about picking up something rust-free and bringing it back to MI. Usually I go after cheap C-bodies, Cordobas, Imperials, etc. (like this survivor I found in Tucson).

...but this time I started thinking about the 3rd gen Ramchargers. Then I started googling them and found the major thread on this site which really got me interested in finding one. That search didn't last long! Unbelievably an off-hand Craigslist Phoenix search found one that already had a California title. Long story short, I bought it, and thankfully not for the insane asking price!

This truck is pretty beat-up (as they all seem to be) having already been painted once, tinted lights, boomin' system, 26" rims and no screw left unturned (and loose). However, it seemed to run and shift well enough. No way I would have driven this thing cross-country as-is, so I got a shipping quote: $1300.  :confused2:  I figured I'd rather put the money into repairs than shipping, so I left it with an "internet friend" and AZ mopar club guy to make some repairs at his leisure until I return in a few months to drive it back. Most of what I expect it to need is suspension related, and if you see by the vehicles in the background, (which he has rebuilt the suspensions on) he seems to know his way around this generation of truck (another SST out-of-the shot)...

Before I handed it over I had a little de-crap-ifying project in the driveway of the house I rented (wonder what those neighbors thought I was pulling out of the door panels, lol) Here are the pounds of stereo wiring. This thing could have an AM radio and I wouldn't care about upgrades since I mostly listen to talk radio junk in the car.

Also not the lengths the PO went to making the sound system nice and safe:

I like the way he zip-tied a direct feed from the battery to a steel brake line... Exposed terminals and all. At least there was a 150 amp fuse so once fully engulfed in flames it would break the circuit! It's a wonder I don't see more stereo-mobiles burned up on the road.

So anyway, my desire is much like the mega-thread already posted. I thank rjtx667 for experiencing headaches and posting them so I wont have to. That said, I have a few questions:

1) It sounds like the dash harness was plug & play after you fixed a few missed fuse block connections, with the exception of the rear wiper circuit? Is this the takeaway? Sounds like there were probably two wiring harnesses from the factory, base and SLT? Nothing and Everything?

2) Did you ever finish the tilt wheel install? The airbags?

GetAwayDriver

Oh yeah... I would also like to find the original RamCharger emblems

+ Roof rails (entirely missing)
+ a left tailight (minor crack)

are there any online links to the factory catalog for these things? Would like to see what was available when new. (Options, colors, etc.)

The War Wagon

Gittin' 'er setup for the 12" lift and 42" Super Swampers, right?  ;D

Welcome aboard - look forward to hearing more about your rebuild!   :13:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

The War Wagon

Your Mexican fuse guide, to help you understand what was done to your truck.  :tongue3:

Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

I could swear that Ryan's 2000 Ramcharger used mini van tail lights.  He and several other guys went on an Easter safari to Hidden Falls off road park. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

GetAwayDriver

Quote from: The War Wagon on April 20, 2014, 03:27:58 PM
Your Mexican fuse guide, to help you understand what was done to your truck.  :tongue3:

Daas phunny... ;)

GetAwayDriver

Quote from: SixGun on April 20, 2014, 04:15:10 PM
I could swear that Ryan's 2000 Ramcharger used mini van tail lights.  He and several other guys went on an Easter safari to Hidden Falls off road park.

Believe me, I wish they were that simple. They look like minivan lights, and they match the minivan liftgate, but they are different (wider) at the side that meets the 1/4 panel.

rjtx667

Yes the tail lights are ram charger only. They are still made down in Mexico, and run about $500 each unless you find them used.... and then its $500 for a pair.

I have 1.5 spare pairs. (driver side is good, pass has a hole).

The roof rails are not made anymore and are a pain to track down.

mine did have a fire in the back from whatever they did, and I am still working to replace all that plastic.

Its great to see others get some of these. I love mine and don't plan to ever let it go. I can't say it gets great gas milage, but the fact I got 10 or better on a trip hauling a 93 ram charger on a 2k lbs car hauler trailer doing 75 mph is impressive to me.

The fact the truck wanted to do more than 75 hauling that load is also impressive  :evil6:

The wire harness's are mostly compatible. I bought a set of 2000 ram 1500 factory service manuals. Most all of it is useful, the wire color is almost always right.

I have a few issues from mix matching wire harness's right now, but I will get through them. My other issues is that since I tuned my computer for the engine... I had to go with a "US ram 1500" computer vs the factory load. That I am sure "lost" a few things for me, but its been worth it.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk sometime and see what other questions you have.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins