News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

anybody ever rebuild wiring harness

Started by mttaff, August 28, 2012, 10:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mttaff

Has anybody ever pulled their harness and rebuilt it? Thinking about doing it but not sure where to get the ends that snap into the plugs
1978 Crewcab,      6" lift and 35's
1976 Ramcharger, 4" lift and 35's
2010 Quadcab,      2.8" lift and 35's

minionsram

I have built the engine harness before. Got some of the hardware from dealership. Might still have some in stock but doubt it.
!985 W350. 360, 727, 241 44hd front and 60 rear
1990 w150 RC 360 518 2 inches of lift
83, 90, 89, 86 RC's in yard for parts
2001 Ram 5 speed regular cab short box project.
96 Jeep Cherokee (wifes)

workgoats

I have built one completely from scratch.  My project doesn't have all the bells and whistles and I did without the bulkhead connector.

Only thing I can say outside of the work is that it hasn't caught on fire yet.  My grand-children did give me a fire extinguisher though.  I think their lack of confidence is showing.

:13:

mttaff

Stopped by my dealership today, they had nothing but their parts book. Tried to buy it but they said it is gold!

rjtx667

http://www.repairconnector.com

not sure it has "Dodge OEM" parts, but it might have parts you can make work.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

DODGEBOYS

Quote from: mttaff on August 29, 2012, 10:21:05 PM
Stopped by my dealership today, they had nothing but their parts book. Tried to buy it but they said it is gold!

l have PARTS books for sale on RCC and pretty cheap also
MOPAR TO YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lets see how much trouble we can get in with RCC

needen$77

No fear sir, two options.........the first replace wire for wire from a stock or look at a wire sch and basically wire for wire+ :headbang:. but one thing to get past if your making a harness for the long haul only solder with heat shrink never trust a crimp no matter what you think. Yes crimp connectors can last 5+ years but after that mmmmmmm no worth the waist of time

mttaff

It went well, I basically took 3 old harnesses that I had laying around and pulled the best wire for wire...wasn't too bad. Time consuming, but I understand the electrical a lot more now.

Dodgestrike

MOPAR
Massively Over Powered Asphalt Remover.

DerangedMoose

Quote from: mttaff on August 28, 2012, 10:26:22 PM
Has anybody ever pulled their harness and rebuilt it? Thinking about doing it but not sure where to get the ends that snap into the plugs

if you can get the pin tools you can reuse the old connectors.I use to have a electrical supply catalog that had the connectors in it I will try to find it .I use to build the harness's for boats and have allot of stuff left over.

mttaff

I found some ends at a local parts store the other day, gonna have a few spares now.

80W150

I have a hard enough time keeping the factory smoke in.............
Chuck

REB

I have rebuilt, replace, and custom made harnesses along with a buddy of mine that is a freekin genius when it comes to wiring, on his 67 chevelle he rewired it in all aerospace grade wires ( all white numbered wires ) me I went color coded on my 71 chevelle  ( hey I am a mopar guy the Chevy was free so I couldn't pass it up, traded it for my first RC ) Anyway, I got the wire from Anaheim wire in Anaheim California. They do have a color coding service, they will paint the tracer color any color on any wire you want, the only draw back is that it is spiral painted on not straight, plus they also have connections to some company's that still have the connectors. Also you can contact M&H electrical fabricators   at    www.wiringharness.com     and last on other cars and trucks including my RC's some of the connectors and even fuse block I have found the factory ones are not up to the task of what I wanted then, so I went to the bone yard stripped out connectors, fuse blocks, and pdc from any car or truck I found that had what I need to do my custom build.
Hope this helps and don't forget, DO NOT skimp on wire crimpers, strippers, tape or anything involved in making a splice or connections, you don't want a electrical problem on the trial because you used duct tape instead of electrical tape

Gohot

I think you were sort of asking about locating complete replacement harness's...... well 'Painless' don't exactly have one, it needs modifications, and there is precious little tech help on the 1-800 line. There was another one on Ebay like the painless job, but different brand. The brand name don't come to mind just now, but it's quite popular as replacement harness's go. A lot of time the problem can be isolated to 'Grounds' and in the steering column. Or if a PO hacked up the under-dash stuff for a sound system. GROUNDS prevail as problem areas though, more often than not. Personally, I have to get in the 'Mode' to mess with electrical, and hate doing so. Most of us do...!

Gohot

'Rebel'  'Painless'  'Ez' are the popular ones, and in reading past posts here and there, the 'EZ' was favored. And had somewhat good 1-800 tech help.