News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

well i am almost certain most people say not to run a mechanical and electric fuel pump together. it can cause issues. also have you checked fuel pressure with it running? also do you got the return line hooked up to the fuel filter? i know i was having issues with too much fuel being returned to the tank even with a brand new fuel filter. blocked it and my issue was solved and fuel pressure stayed where it should when running

SixGun

Yes I have the return line hooked up.

Thinking about disconnecting one pump and then the other to hopefully isolate which one may be the issue.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

i would just start by checking fuel pressure and seeing what it says. having the return line disconnected helps keep the fuel pressure at the carb for a bit longer. i know with my return line hooked up it would drop instantly but with it plugged it will just sit there for a long while. i also had tried a brand new filter but it still had the same issue. too much fuel was allowed to go back to the tank

SixGun

ProjectPW

you need to get the timing set .... also you may have the float level a bit low... I would also recommend some sort of insulator between the carb and intake as the heat will tend to boil the fuel after you turn it off (seen it) ...I have had good luck with as little as a 1/2" spacer made of phenolic or plastic

sounds like I may have to come take a look, and do some whispering to Mr Carter  :035:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

I've read about the fuel boiling off on some research. I'm using a 91 TBI spacer already. I rebuilt the carb to specs with the kit.   Electric pump will be here Friday. If early enough, will install that afternoon. May just need an exorcism but a whisper is OK with me.  :great:

As for the timing, I've been reading about phasing a camshaft with a degree wheel. I would really like to have a set point to time it to. I have an old MP degree wheel and a dial indicator with magnet laying around somewhere if I could ever figure out how to do this. :icon_scratch:

SixGun

Parts  :035:

Fuel pump came in late this afternoon and I picked up a 3/4" carb insulator adapter here locally. It has the phenolic center and aluminum spacer.

Phuukarama its HOT outside.  :sunny:
Gonna start on this first thing in the morning when its nice and cool.  :toothy9:

SixGun

OK so I installed the carb insolater adapter and unhooked the mechanical fuel pump. Kept the old electric fuel pump and gave it a shot. Wouldn't start on its own but did with starting fluid. Barely ran and kept dying. Figured old electric was dead so I installed the new electric and still did the same. I even turn up the idle to maybe compensate for the adapter but no difference. So now I wonder if what Mat said about the return line was correct?  Next shot will be will an old style fuel filter and connect the return line into the charcoal canister like a vent. That's it for today, I've got dinner plans.  :dance:

crazzywolfie

i don't think hooking the return line to the charcoal canister would be a good idea or really do anything other than possibly fill your charcoal canister with fuel. as far as the filter goes i am just going on my experience. i have pretty much just had it with the stock style return filter. going return less from now on on any carbed engines. i installed a fuel pressure gauge on my 81 and it showed lower pressure with quick pressure loss with the return line hooked up. with it disconnected the fuel pressure was sitting a lot more steady around the 6 or so psi that it should be at with a lot less pressure loss.

SixGun

I bought an elbow fuel line that connects to an AFB with a banjo bolt and has a port for a fuel pressure gauge. Just need to find a cheap gauge and a hunk of fuel line. Also picked up a fuel filter w/o the return line. So did you cap the return line to the tank? Why do you think it would suck fuel out? Wouldn't it just vent into the charcoal canister?

crazzywolfie

oh i thought you meant the return line on the filter lol. ya i guess you could hook the return line that goes to the tank to the charcoal canister.  the one on my truck just sits there. i don't have a charcoal canister on my 81 tho.

SixGun

Edit: I accidentally posted this for the Ram earler today.

Well the removal of the return line looks promising. It started on the first crank. Fuel pressure was fluctuating around 6-7 psi I believe.  I say that because the line going into the junction was dripping gas and I hurriedly shut it down and dumped a cup of water all over that shit. Phew...I dodged that bullet. I need to get one size up hose clamps. When I rerouted the lines, I went with fuel injection line which is a lil thicker and my FI clamps pinched the hose.

Getting closer  :035:

SixGun

Stumped again  :017:

No more fuel leak and a no start again. I'm using a see through filter and its full of fuel. Fuel pressure gauge shows 6.5 psi. Nozzles in the carb are not shooting a full stream. Maybe Teflon tape got sucked in??

crazzywolfie

are you sure you got spark? just may want to confirm it before blaming the carb.

SixGun

Today when I would pump the throttle linkage on the carb only drops or nothing would come out of the nozzles. If the carbs floats are primed, shouldn't they shoot a shot of fuel?  Besides, I haven't changed any settings except for fresh thread tape and new clamps.

Boggles the mind and really upsets me. That's why I step away sometimes, before I go postal with my big assed crescent wrench on this bastard.   :angry4: