News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

i guess the engine must have froze and cracked? so are you building 1 engine out of the 2?

SixGun

Yes sir, we should have one complete engine between the two and some new parts. I cleaned a heck of a lot of parts with varsol and learned how to use some HD heated pressure washer.  Its been great using the shop where he works. I couldn't imagine doing all this in a home garage. Access to unlimited tools :great:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on June 29, 2014, 10:40:26 PM
I went to visit Ernest this weekend to freshen up the 318 and put in a cam. Going on 3 days now and 2 engines. The motor was cracked. Ron offered a 318 he had for a future project to get me off and running. Ernest tore this one down also and it needed rod and main bearings.  I  tell you what, College Station doesn't carry 318 parts. This 2 horse town only carries stuff for your tractor or horse.  Sheesh..... :017:

I have a 318 that needs a timing chain. Plus a bunch of Small Block Parts. Let me know what you need.

SixGun

Whew, thought it was gonna be another day but finally able to get parts in the next town over. Hopefully we are on the downhill slope.   :thumbsup:

rjtx667

:pics:

you know the rules  :laughing7:

glad your making progress, sorry to hear the block was cracked.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I completely forgot to take pics of the motor but I did get some of his tan Chevy. It was a marathon engine build.  3 late days and early mornings. Ernest's wife is a good cook so that was definitely a pleasure.  He has a 100# putbull too.

Unless we find something else, the motor and I are going home tomorrow.

SixGun

So after the weekend, we had to move shop from Ernest's work shop to the mobile engine building unit often referred to as "the trailer".  Motor finally made it together and posed for a couple of pics. I would have to say that the accessory brackets were the most frustrating part of the assembly.  You just cant take enough pics. Here is the dubious man of mystery, Ernest, with his always present cell phone. That man lives, breathes and eats with that phone. On the road home, GPS took me through toll road 130. Check out the Texas Autobahn speed limit of 85 mph. Gotta love Texas highways!

ernestgonzales78@gmail.com

Hey leave my phone out of ur fancy worded sentences.  :laughing7:
It was a very trying 3 days but I enjoyed it. Just wish I had a shop to
where we could work eat and sleep. Lol
76 F100 4X4 FORD (AKA MISTRESS)
86 3/4 ton 4X4 CHEVY
07 3500 DODGE FLATBED (TOY HAULER)

SixGun

No kidding...it was a long weekend. :iagree:

Thanks for all the hard work buddy. Thanks to you too Ron for pulling through in a crunch.  :notworthy:

crazzywolfie

so are you putting the smog pump back on since you re installed the bracket for it? otherwise it looks pretty good. you might also want to possibly keep your eyes open when you are parts searching at the auto recycles for the newer style power steering pump brackets like the ones on your 91. i really hate the older style one. i got a newer style bracket for my 81. i just need to install it eventually.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on July 01, 2014, 08:02:12 PM
So after the weekend, we had to move shop from Ernest's work shop to the mobile engine building unit often referred to as "the trailer".  Motor finally made it together and posed for a couple of pics. I would have to say that the accessory brackets were the most frustrating part of the assembly.  You just cant take enough pics. Here is the dubious man of mystery, Ernest, with his always present cell phone. That man lives, breathes and eats with that phone. On the road home, GPS took me through toll road 130. Check out the Texas Autobahn speed limit of 85 mph. Gotta love Texas highways!

Looks awesome guys!  :thumbsup: I love a good small block build  :13:  I love running our texas autobahn too....  :steeringwheel:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

I thought that PS bracket looked different.  It was hard to adjust too. I'll have to do some JY hunting. We were going to do a smog equipment delete but literally had no time. One of the block threaded plugs fit the passenger side exhaust manifold perfect. There are two smog tubes. The one over the intake on the drivers side was broken and completely clogged with carbon.  For the back of the exh manifolds, hopefully I can find some small freeze plugs to cap the holes like I did on the 91. I left the air pump brackets so I can adjust from there. Didn't really have time to re-engineer it there in regards to belts and pulley alignment and all that.

crazzywolfie

ah. ya the newer style power steering pump brackets are so much nicer if you do ever have to replace your power steering belt or adjust it. the old style one can be very stiff and will usually require that 1/2" drive and possibly a pipe to move them. plus on the older style bracket you usually have to loose the 1 bolt which might lead to water pump gasket leaks. i know i have seen a bit of coolant seep out when i have loosened mine.

rjtx667

Junk yard?

You should have a bracket off your old v6 on the 91.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on July 02, 2014, 08:16:23 AM
Junk yard?

You should have a bracket off your old v6 on the 91.

I can't remember if the 318 I bought from you had one. I think I reused the V6 bracket.  I'll have to look. It would be nice if there's an extra one laying around here.  :victory: