News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

sweet. did you also get the brackets to go with the alternator? i just know those 100 amp alternators are big and require the special heavy duty brackets. i know i got one in my 81. i currently only got 1 belt on it and you have to make sure it is kept under enough pressure or it gets chewed up. already had to replace it once. also the newer denso 120amps are smaller and nicer. the one i got came off a 96 jeep grand Cherokee. all i had to do was swap the pulley out for the v groove pulley off the 70amp denso alternator that i have.

SixGun

The bracket was on a 360. Think it would work on a 383? Only 2 bolts held it on there - the pivot and the adjustment slot.  As for the weight, a little more. It is aluminum but a little bulky.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

i don't think it would work with a 383 but i think i have been told the 100 amp alternator brackets can be a bit harder to find. it don't sound like it had the same bracket my 100 amp alternator has. my truck has a 1 piece bracket. when all bolted together with alt and all the thing the thing weighed a fair bit.

SixGun

It looks the same as yours. You can see it in the pic below.

I might just go back and pick that booger up just in case.

The War Wagon

Mine came with whatever weak-ass factory offering it came with - 65 amps, I think.

Thing is, I got the 125amp replacement that was optional, and it fit perfectly - no new brackets necessary!   :13:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

crazzywolfie

you should go back and grab that plus the a/c compressor and the brackets need to install it. you could use it as an on board air compressor.  the alt bracket is held in real good and is heavy duty as you can see. also does your 76 still need a heater box? it that one in ok shape?

@ War Wagon your RC most likely had a 90 amp alternator from the factory

SixGun

Heater box was good but Danger Dave hooked me up already.

Onboard air....pffft...that's what Ron and Ernest are there for. Ha ha

crazzywolfie

on board air is always nice. have you ever price out those compressor/clutch setups out? they are not cheap. if i didn't live up in the land of expensive shipping i would have taken it. i wouldn't mind on board air. just finding the right parts are hard and they are not getting any easier to find.

SixGun

:sunny:  somebody turn the heat down, I'm sweating my ass off.

This heat wave is a killer with 90% humidity and 100*.

Ever have a missing bolt hold up your project. 3 days no less.  Yeah me either....never mind.  :disgust:

I dropped a valve cover bolt and wanted to be sure that it didn't go through the opening in the head to the lifter valley.  I tried all kinds of magnet contraptions with no luck.  Looked all over the motor underneath, in the frame cubbies and top of the tranny etc. Even took the weed eater and cut the grass down to the dirt. Metal detector in the grass.  Finally broke down and pulled everything off to tale the intake off and be sure. Good news is it wasn't there. Bad news is its not in there. Wtf is it??? Time for reinforcements. Time for the master tracker. Time for Eagle Eyes Yolanda to do her magic.  15 minutes later her bloodhound senses found it. I had to tale her out to eat.

crazzywolfie

hahaha. don't you just love when finding things is that easy lol. i have misplaced stuff like that before. look for it everywhere and then it just turns up right in front of you.

SixGun

24 hours later I'm right back where I was 4 days ago. Now that's progress  :laughing7:

rjtx667

thats nothing... try putting heads on only to finish it up and start it and find #2 exhaust has a bent valve.

On a 4.7 l overhead cam no less.

That Suxs... this... just means your taking your time  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I am seriously thinking of removing some of the clutter in front of the radiator. Thinking of removing one of the pusher fans and leaving the other over the trans cooler. The removing the large power steering cooler and going with a small one from a magnum engine. Figured I can tuck it in somewhere like on a frame rail. The one I have is actually a trans cooler and is quite large especially with all the rubber lines going to the front of the radiator.  What do you think?

crazzywolfie

do you think you would require any pusher fans at all? if the cooling system is working fine the engine should not need them. also do you really need a power steering cooler? my 93 is the first vehicle i have ever seen with one.

SixGun

I've wondered about the need for a PS cooler also. I wonder why the factory put them on later years? I wonder if there are any studies on this? I personally wonder if it is linked to towing? This truck had been used for towing. Ernest felt that some things were tied to the truck running hot with the cracked block.  He figured they were throwing parts at it to try and solve it. Multiple thermostats, freeze plugs fans and radiator removed. I don't remember if I mentioned it but the thermostat was removed. Old school tactic that with the radiator removed, mice got into the block. There was acorns and nesting materials in the water jackets that we cleaned out with the pressure washer. Funny shit  :laughing7: