News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Welcome back Carter

Started by SixGun, June 06, 2014, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Another piece of the puzzle is done.
Went with a 727 out of a 1986 D250.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

Awesome  :thumbsup:
Are you going to install it your self at your house? Or at a shop?

SixGun

Gonna be a driveway install. Just ordered a deep pan from Mancini.

jldunahoe

Is Mancini a good place to get parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixGun

I don't recall ordering parts from them before but they have been in the Mopar business for a long time. Pretty similar to the MP pan but I like the location of the drain plug and the price.  I usually go with Amazon, Jegs or Summit for the free shipping but with Mancini's price it about evens out.  They have a good reputation so I'm not worried.

http://www.manciniracing.com/tranpan.html

SixGun

I disconnected and drained the tranny. While waiting for the trans deep pan to arrive, I decided to fab a transmission cradle to use with my 3 ton floor jack. I used a heavy gauge broiler pan that has been laying around forever and drilled a hole for the lift saddle bolt.  I used the old trans pan as a template to cut out the odd shape of the 727 pan. The rolled edge of the broiler pan will keep it from sliding off. I used an old camshaft sprocket for added support under the broiler pan. Here's some pics.

rjtx667

if your really bored install the tranny with the old pan and just swap it when th new one arrives. Just because the tranny is in does not mean you have to put fluid in it. :headbang:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

i agree with Ryan. you should put the transmission in there with the old pan and just swap the when you get the new one. then that way there is no way you can damage your new pan.

SixGun

True but it is a pain in the rump with the exhaust crossover pipe in the way.

Not to mention that the sun was hovering near 100* this afternoon and TDC after 2pm. 

Now that the backyard is in the shade, its time to mow the grass.   :sunny:

crazzywolfie

don't you have to drop the exhaust cross over pipe to install the transmission or starter? it is only 4 bolts and easily removed plus there should be tons of shade under Carter :laughing7:

SixGun

Didn't have to drop the exhaust. The passenger side exhaust pipe has a weird bend where it could have gone straight. I figured it was to drop the tranny. After I slide the trans cross member back,  I just have to pull the trans back  a little and then straight down. With my new fangled cradle it should be a breeze, uh...I hope.   :dontknow:

The shade was pretty cool under the truck. It was only 90* under there.  :lol_hitting:

BTW, is the flexplate a different size on a 727 vs 904? I didn't grab it at the JY. I might need to make a trip back. Kickdown linkage too. I have a set for the 76 RC I could steal for now. Took some measurements for the driveshaft.  727 is 4" longer and the 9-1/4 is 1" shorter surprisingly.  Driveshafts at the JY are all trashed from forklifts unfortunately.

crazzywolfie

lol it was about 90* the other day when i was changing my rad. i kind of liked it. the only thing that kind of sucked was the 60% humidity.

i think the stock kick down linkage that was on Carter should work with any of the transmissions. i am pretty sure the location of the kick down lever on the transmission should be the same.

rjtx667

welcome to the needing to spend $$ on new driveshafts club.  :laughing7:

Its an expensive club to be in, so I have been told. Once I save more money I will let you know. I am still saving money to buy yokes so I can measure for the driveshafts.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I'm gonna try having the driveshaft cut down to size.  I need a yoke too. Its definately another trip to the JY. Drink water and stay motivated.  Pans came in. Me likey, but the shipping was $21 for two deep pan kits from FedEx.  Yikes  :icon_scratch:

SixGun