News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Took a little trip

Started by SixGun, June 09, 2014, 01:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

So I took a little trip Saturday morning to the little town of Lago Vista near Austin, TX. On the highway I passed up a trailer with 2 big assed van looking things.  Then I see a Ram's head on it.  I've never seen these before have you?

Anyways, I get to Lago Vista using a combination of oral directions, Map quest, GPS, and a real map.  Boy if I didn't get lost. It was the first time I've used GPS and I had to call my brother the tech geek to get me up and running while I was on the road. The real map just showed a blip for Lago Vista since its not big enough to be a real town. Lol. The verbal directions were vague at best and I pulled off a toll road by mistake and couldn't figure a way to get back on it. Well GP effing S to the rescue. It found me an alternate route through the neighborhoods and out the other end. I just kept one eye on the thick blue line to get me back on track.  I think if I use it a few times more I'll get the hang of it. The oral directions were really throwing me off.  Should have trusted the machine.  Not in my nature BTW. You know Terminators and all that good stuff.

So I finally get to this young guys place in the middle of some god awful hills were the locals drive 70 mph in a 50 mph zone winding through the hills.  I should have taken some pictures but it was all I could do to stay on track.  The place was beautiful.  There was a shit load of lakes too. Mind wanders ... Sorry. This guy said he lived in a condo but it looked like a duplex on a hillside.  Oh did I mention that I went to go see a Ramcharger?  84 very clean on the pictures but inside was a rat's nest.   No cloth left on the seats or headliner. I knew the steering column was inop but that was the least of it.  Power steering sprung a leak and tranny too. The 318 looked good without leaks but suddenly he mentioned that the carb may need to be rebuilt.  It was a 2X and initially the price on CL was $1400.  He called me one morning that his previous buyer had fell through and he needed to sell it or it was gonna get towed. He dropped the price to $650. I thought it definitely warrants a look. When you see the outside you see why. Newish tires and factory mags with the caps.  Oh and the power windows were dead. No wonder he never sent me any inside pics or mention anything needing fixing.  He admitted to turning down a $400 offer and was at $575 with me but too big of a project for a 2wd I think.

Before I could leave, he tried to sell me the spare tire.  I said if you are willing to part it out, I'll take all five rims and tires for $300 but he wouldn't budge.  But I did get the radiator, shroud, rearview mirrors, spare tire and hood ornament for $120. At least I didn't leave empty handed.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

Meh... I'd of laid out five bills if the doors, fenders, and hood were rust-free.  I'd of made it back on selling those to other members, and anything else usable would be gravy!  ;D
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

2.5 hour tow back home would jump that price dramatically and he wouldn't go below $575 - I tried.  I had a tow set up with Noah (ProjectPW) but it just wasn't worth it.  Interior was shot and maintenance questionable.  Couldn't verify that the motor ran.  It's still there and he's desperate if anyone wants it.  Josh 512-784-2111

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on June 09, 2014, 07:18:55 PMIt's still there and he's desperate if anyone wants it.  Josh 512-784-2111

Well I ain't desperate to tow it to PA, that's for sure!!!  :confused2:

ALL kidding aside, we need to recruit someone to the RC cause, between TX and CA, to host a RC graveyard; a place where good, rust-free, RC's from the sw US can be acquired & stored for their parts.  And if someone were particularly ambitious, have/build a steel building on-site, so interior pieces can be stored in a drier, cooler, environment, out of the elements.  That way, we don't LOSE anymore of these magnificent beasts.

NOW... as SOON as I win the Powerball...  :tongue3:

fal308

Those are the new Ram ProMaster. Ram's new cargo vans (currently no passenger style). http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ click on the ProMaster link.
Looked at one the other day when a local Home Depot had their yearly contractors event where mfgrs show up and showcase their wares.

SixGun

Sounds pretty slick.  They were huge, that's for sure.  I noticed in the link that most of the models say preproduction.

fal308

Ram just unveiled the Promaster City, which will be offered in cargo and passenger versions.
. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/06/26/ram-promaster-city-is-small-ready-to-haul/

The War Wagon

QuoteThe Fiat-based vehicle will be made in Turkey...

::)   I was fishing Tuesday with my oldest, and met a guy with a nice 2002 Dodge Conversion van.  It was the short wheel base model, but he & his wife are retired, and they like it for travel.  When our Windstar had rusted away by 2009, I was looking HARD at bigger conversion vans to replace it; we have 4 kids, & they're only getting BIGGER, so it seemed like a plan.  I looked around, and never could find one I liked, that had the right combination of features, low mileage, good price, and LITTLE rust.  We got a 2008 Caravan SXT instead.  The BIG disappointment during my search though, was the lack of late model Dodge full-size conversion vans.  :(

When I was  textile engineer about a zillion years ago (late '80's), our company used Econoline 150's to haul our test equipment in.  In fact, we got a spankin' new '89 from the dealer, and I drove that thing all over NC, SC, GA, and AL the first year we had it - 40k+ miles - and it rode and drove GREAT!  Even as a cargo van, and not a softer riding conversion van, it handled well in all kinds of weather.  I could live with a Ford van - but would rather have a Dodge.

SixGun

....take a little trip
Take a little trip
Take a little trip with me.    :035:

The War Wagon

Every time I hear "little trip," this is what I always think of.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL7XS_8qgXM