News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

33's vs. 35/36's

Started by The War Wagon, June 25, 2014, 07:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

Because I'm starting to worry about how much load my wheels will be bearing before too long (winch still needs installing, more gear to load out, skids, trusses, rock rails & sliders yet to be added, etc.), and because I'd prefer holding off on front & rear Dana 60's for the time being... I'm debating dropping back to a 33" tire on 15x8 aluminum wheels (as opposed to my 15x10 steel wheels currently.

I've already noticed a little tire rub up front - presumably from a full-lock turn or some such.  I know 33's will fix that, and probably give me all the wheel travel I need - unless I decide to do a Walker Evans in it and take flight (flying's EASY - landings are the hard part!  :confused2: )! 

What would be the benefits vs. the tradeoffs of moving DOWN in wheel & tire size, for those in the know?  Thanks!
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

SixGun

On the 91, I have 33's on 15x8 with 4" backspace and they rub when wheelin. Fronts on the back of the fenderwells and backs on the bed sides in the fenderwells. This truck has 2" suspension lift and 3" body lift. 

As for rim size, 33's go on 15x10 rims. 15x8 is on the small side.  What is your backspace?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

The War Wagon

Quote from: SixGun on June 25, 2014, 10:28:34 AM
On the 91, I have 33's on 15x8 with 4" backspace and they rub when wheelin. Fronts on the back of the fenderwells and backs on the bed sides in the fenderwells. This truck has 2" suspension lift and 3" body lift. 

As for rim size, 33's go on 15x10 rims. 15x8 is on the small side.  What is your backspace?

I'm looking at a few different wheels right now - including beadlocks (we have a FEW rocks in the Alleghenies/Appalachians, so airing down is sometimes necessary.  All of them have at LEAST 3.75" - some have 4".  33x10 on 8" wheels makes for a fat profile that is apparently preferred by 4 wheelers around here.

I've also wondered about a body lift - nothing radical mind you, since I have a 4 1/2" suspension lift.  Maybe 2"?  That would surely aid further in clearing 35's, even under compression - I'm still worried about stressing the front axle though.  Or am I OVERLY worried?  :icon_scratch:
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

rjtx667

I have been running 31's on mine... when I got it, it was stock height and had 33's.... they were bald and dry rot but there.

you can look at the pics and see all the places they rubbed. I now have 8 lug 33's for the new axles, I don't believe I will have rub problems because of my lift... but I will be able to tell you for sure in a few weeks.  :headbang:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

I run stock rims and 35x12.50s on my 87 with no lift and i cant get it to rub unless its fully to the max flexed out and turning against the stops