News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Anybody run a CB in their RC?

Started by The War Wagon, July 23, 2014, 12:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The War Wagon

I realize the Smokey & the Bandit days are long gone, and the younger set can't REMEMBER a time without cell phones, but how 'bout us OLD timers - anyone else run a big CB rig in their RC?

I run a cb & a scanner in both my Jeep - and after tomorrow - my RC.  I'm active also over at CBradioforum.com, since getting back into four wheeling.  Can't IMAGINE wheeling WITHOUT a cb... but then, I'm an old-timer, too.

UN-like my Commander - full of modern avionics and little spare room - our RC's & Gen.1 Dodges lend themselves very nicely to cb installs - putting one in mine has proven a snap... save for a mis-calculation on my jumper length.  My custom 4' jumper arrives tomorrow, so I can complete that install.  UN-like you TX boys though, we got a little thing here called, "oak trees," which are gonna play HAVOC on my 102" steel whip.  :-\   I have a gutter mount tie-down for it, but I'm even worried about ON-roading it with that (since it's mounted high on the multi-carrier).

Thing is, I ran a 102" steel whip on my old Bronco 25+ years ago down in NC - another state noted for a proliferation of oak trees - and it did fine... until the day of Hurricane Hugo.  I followed my dad to work, since I had the day off (NATURALLY, when you ask your boss for a day off - a month & a half in ADVANCE - a Category 4 hurricane blows ashore that day  :o ), and a low-hanging powerline in Cleveland, NC (outside the Freightliner plant on U.S. 70W) ATE it.  Ran a 3' firestik thereafter, just as I do now on the Commander.  With all the NATURALLY low-hanging and ancient powerlines in Pittsburgh, I'll either electrocute myself, or short out the entire city, running around fully-deployed here:o   But if I lived in the land of scrub pines & diamondbacks, I'd probably not even mess with the gutter mount!  8)

I know there's always 38 USB for reaching out, but anyone wanna "claim" a RC.net channel for shooting skip?  My cb handle is the same as my handle here, and I talked to west Texas in my Commander in the afternoon in Buffalo last fall (being RIGHT beside Lake Erie at the moment probably helped...  :tongue3: ).  I'm sure with some good propagation, we could all shoot the breeze some night on the "RC channel."  8)
Restoring/building a War Wagon - good advice ALWAYS welcome!

Toyradio

Look at my name/handle... I just picked up a Uniden 2510. Its going in my F-250. I also run a Galaxy 88 in my RC. I run a President Washington (modified) base. Not to mention some 30 odd radios in the shop. Pick a channel, I can get there.

The War Wagon

Quote from: Toyradio on July 23, 2014, 07:15:41 AM
Look at my name/handle... I just picked up a Uniden 2510. Its going in my F-250. I also run a Galaxy 88 in my RC. I run a President Washington (modified) base. Not to mention some 30 odd radios in the shop. Pick a channel, I can get there.

SCHWEET!  And here I thought you worked in a stereo shop!  ;D

I run a Uniden 980 in my Jeep - I'm going Galaxy 949 in the RC.  I run the Bearcat Trunktracker III in the Jeep, since it's my DD, and it descrambles the 800mhz trunking radios of the city po-po.  REMARKABLY, other than Pittsburgh PD, the ENTIRE rest of Allegheny Co. is STILL analog:o

Ergo, the little Uniden B355C goes in the RC.  MAINLY because I'll be wheeling in the boonies, and it has a WX band, which the Galaxy doesn't.

I'll post some more photos of my RC setup when it's done.

taz_man440

I have a Galaxy 77HML that Toyradio repaired for me that goes in the Ramcharger next time I get to go wheeling... Also running a 102" stainless whip but I do have the dual 4' fiberglass antenna's i might try....

Also for a second choice I have a Texas Ranger that talks really good.. haven't really decided which one I like better..
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

The War Wagon

Bow-chicka-bow-bow!  CRAPPY cellphone pic alert!  :tongue3:

Thanks to Rolling Radios, my install got completed today - my 4' jumper arrived, although the mailman decided to deliver it to the house instead - adding another 5 hrs of anxious waiting to the project. <_<

The bracket was already mounted, the power run, the antenna and mobile set up - running the jumper was the last piece of the puzzle.  The antenna mount needed minor adjusting, but thankfully, the steel wheel (spare tire) proved no obstacle to receiving OR transmitting... although my ancient electronic ignition DOES cause some interference. :confused:

cb5_zpsd176267b.jpg   Tuned to 38 USB... waiting for a reply... :unsure:

636, mounted to the side of the radio and bracket.    cb_zps507e00db.jpg

SWR is AWESOME!!!  The needle BARELY moves when broadcasting - with NO mobile, with pre-amp, on AM or SSB! :dance2:

cb4_zps41e29b5f.jpg

MY power rating, when broadcastin'in!  :nana:  cb2_zpsde60f74a.jpg

Listening to "Double Trouble" out of VA.  Made a contact in southern IN on 6 while I was testing everything.

cb6_zps3f168c33.jpg

Crappy cellphone pics make it look a lot more cluttered than it is, but the rolling radio shack is coming together nicely.

cb1_zps09f60d0a.jpg

The Galaxy is by far, the nicest piece of kit I've ever owned OR operated - figuring out all the buttons and what they do was rather interesting.  Discovering that the "mic gain" on a quality radio can actually affect the SWR was rather eye-opening.  And I'm still trying to figure out what the "talkback" feature does!   :scratch_one-s_head:

Nonetheless, the setup is good, my SWR is GREAT, and while I wasn't reaching out much this afternoon (judging by the couple of responses I could only get on 6 at 4:30 EST), I think I have a GTG rig at this point!  I'll try and post some video, and BETTER pics, shortly.

Toyradio

I just ordered two of the same style mounting brackets. One for the DD and one for the RC

The War Wagon

Quote from: Toyradio on July 28, 2014, 04:33:37 PM
I just ordered two of the same style mounting brackets. One for the DD and one for the RC

Just remember - those old consoles are pretty big.  If you mount a mobile on the backside, and you place the mount ANY distance forward of it (so Cokes don't go right DOWN the radio  ::) ), a 3' jumper will NOT be long enough... as I just discovered.

Gohot

After reading up a few reviews, I believe a Galaxy would be the prime choice, or the standard Cobra 29. I think a whip would work well where I am in NC.
I have thought hard of getting a CB, and most likely it would be more entertainment in the evenings setting in the middle of my 20 acre field catching skip.

Toyradio

While working in Kansas I made a trip into Oklahoma (Skiatook) and picked up half a dozen radios. One of them a President HR 2510. Great talking radio. Now to get it in the DD and something else in the RC. :13:

muskote

1973 Dodge D100 Adventurer SE, 360, 727, 8 3/4, 3.23:1, 131" wb
1973 Dodge Dart Swinger, 318, 904, 7 1/4, 2.76:1
1975 Dodge Ramcharger SE, 360, 727, 8 1/4, 3.55:1

ProjectPW

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectPW

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectM880

I need to find my CB, I'm tired of jacking with those damn Walkie-Talkies .

We all need CB Radios in our trail trucks.  :thumbsup: