News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

have few questions ,2wd to 4wd cherokee swap if anyone happens to know answers?

Started by 89PWRRAM, September 14, 2014, 08:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89PWRRAM

Hello all. I have a 2001 2wd Cherokee Classic. Rebuild motor with banks header, Magnaflow precat Y pipe. I know would be simpler to buy 4wd but Cherokee was my dad's and i've got to much invested to just let this one go. So my questions are.....i searchered on autotrader.com for all 97-99 4wd, as they would have the high pinion front dana 30. I've seen some 4wd cherokee's going for as little as $995 in that year range. Would the tranny electronics if any, work with my 01 computer if i swapped from the tranny back from the donor cherokee. I know the front axle will bolt up.
1989 W150, 360cid, 38" Swamper SSR's,1Ton Driveline. Crossover Steering, Rear Shackle and U-Bolt Flip.

ProjectPW

Quote from: 89PWRRAM on September 14, 2014, 08:24:01 PM
Hello all. I have a 2001 2wd Cherokee Classic. Rebuild motor with banks header, Magnaflow precat Y pipe. I know would be simpler to buy 4wd but Cherokee was my dad's and i've got to much invested to just let this one go. So my questions are.....i searchered on autotrader.com for all 97-99 4wd, as they would have the high pinion front dana 30. I've seen some 4wd cherokee's going for as little as $995 in that year range. Would the tranny electronics if any, work with my 01 computer if i swapped from the tranny back from the donor cherokee. I know the front axle will bolt up.

it would probably work...... :017:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

89PWRRAM

Yeah i'm thinking it would. I may stop at a tranny shop i go by on the way home from work. Throw that question at em.
1989 W150, 360cid, 38" Swamper SSR's,1Ton Driveline. Crossover Steering, Rear Shackle and U-Bolt Flip.

workgoats

my only experience is with 88 and 89 4x.  The wiring from the computer has nothing connected to the transfers on these two.  The transfer has a switch that turns on a light on the dash but not anything else.

You should probably look for a donor that has a 242 transfer case.  In the 89 that had the 242, there was a solid front axle, no CAD.  That was because it can run in full time 4x.  The 88 has a 239 (I think) transfer and it has about a mile of vacuum lines.  Ernest and I disabled the CAD with a hand full of washers because we couldn't get it locked with the vacuum.

James at Brutal likes the 242 transfer and they are easy to work on.  All the stuff I've read about them is that they are stronger than expected.  I've been running the 318 on mine and real close to having the 360 in it on the trail in October.

89PWRRAM

Now i've always read that the 242 transfer case aint worth nothing because of those viscous couplings or whatever on the inside that works the full time all wheel drive part..lol  and people are always trying to swap them out. I've owned a 90' Wrangler YJ, a 90' Cherokee 4x4, 5 spd which i wish i had never sold, and a 97' Cherokee 4x4. All of those Jeeps had the 231 part time case and never gave me any problems. Funny you brought up that CAD system. My 90' Cherokee had that. I was wheeling with friends up at Spring Creek way back in the day and all the sudden my front axle stopped pulling. I hadn't a clue what the deal was, until a buddy popped his head under the Cherokee and saw a bunch of ripped off vacuum lines..lol

workgoats

I suspect that anyone who had trouble with the 242 was driving it all the time in all wheel drive. 

Lone Star Auctions has a 94 4x4 cherokee and a 95 Cherokee with no one bidding on them.  Both have over 200 K miles.  The 94 doesn't look bad in the pics.  Both are impounds and way far away from both of us.  They are in the Midland area.

89PWRRAM

Sorry I ain't been on for awhile. I pulled something in my lower back and have been off all this week from work. Going everyday for deep tissue massages and heated electrodes shocking you. The Doc sure got some pointy ass elbows..lol talk about torture. Sure glad I don't have any secrets to spill..lol