News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

99 ram v10 lift questions

Started by Unfortunate_Sam, September 22, 2014, 05:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unfortunate_Sam

I am looking to lift my truck 3-6" not sure on exactly what i can afford or what will work best and be the simplest. Just looking for some advice on where to get the parts what parts and how high i can go without really exploding the cost.

1999 Ram 2500 V10 5 speed 4x4

I am thinking the cheepest thing would be a set of front coil springs and some blocks in the back. However the truck already has a stock block with overloads in the back. Not sure of the exact size of everything. And i cant get measurements as im on the other side of the world.

So any tips or places to look for a good price would be greatly appreciated.
1975 RC 318/727/203 w part time/ D 44
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10/NV4500/NP241 HD/PoSi-Lok

Unfortunate_Sam

Also im leaning towards 4"-5" just wondering what parts i will need if i buy them separately and if i will have any kind of driveshaft issues if i go to 5" instead of 4 and I'm trying to stay under 800$ In parts.

ProjectM880

Honestly for something you'll be driving on the street you want to go with a complete kit and not go very high. I wouldn't go over 4 inches anything higher than that will start to handle pretty bad, especially if you have other worn out components.

I've had good luck in the past with http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/ on complete kits.

But if you want to order individual parts Amazon is a good start.

Personally If I were you, I would just do the leveling lift on your truck. That will keep most of your factor components and still be a street-able truck. Invest your money in off-road suspension for your RC and a trailer.

Unfortunate_Sam

Ok, thanks for the advice. Thats pretty much what i was thinking as well. Im trying to get my wife to tow the ramcharger back from california but she is not to fond of the idea.

So if she doesnt im just gonna set my truck up so it can handle stuff better. Did pretty well last time for being completely stock.

ProjectM880

Looking into varies shipping companies. It may be worth the expense.

Your truck did do fine last time and for that I would say not to mess with it to much. Most of the lift kits for your truck are setup for mud trucks wanting to run big tires. So they ride like crap.

If you haven;t seen in the RamJam board we are having a meet and run OCT 24-26 at hidden falls again.

Unfortunate_Sam

I would love to go but i am gonna be out of the country till december at the earliest. So i will have to go sometime in 2015 probably

Dracen

I know an old thread but being that I'm an owner of the newer style rams and have lifted several I figure I would post some information for the next person who might have the same sort of question.

For the 94 -2002 trucks might go a little newer but I know 2002 for sure... There are a few magic numbers as far as lift goes...I'll go over lifting the front first.

First number is 3" of suspension lift.. At 3" you have to either have an adjustable track bar or you have to have a relocation bracket. At 3" you will also notice some companies start changing out control arms as well they tend to add around 1/2" in length at 3" lift... Spacers and longer springs are an option.

4" of lift is where things start to get more involved. Much more is required in front in parts like away bar drop brackets, and drop pitman arm, larger track bar drop bracket once again spacers or new springs are options. Most come with both upper and lower control arms but some just new lower control arms using the factory lower control arms as new upper control arms. Break lined will need to be relocated or longer ones purchased at this point.

5" lift is about the same as a 4" lift except you will need new upper and lower control arms and they tend to be 5/8" longer than factory. At this point long arm kits come into play as well. This also tends to be the max side of the spacer kits I have seen.

At 6" you start running into driveshaft length and angle issues....

Factory rear blocks are 4 1/2" talk and have the built in bump stop. Now personally I will not stack blocks. But zero rates and axle relocation springs are another thing.  For the rear no lift is normally needed until you reach the 2 1/2" mark them add a leafs, new springs or bigger blocks are all an option.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the factory off-road trucks are 2 1/2" taller than your standard 4x4 truck of the same year. I would look into relocation or longer break lines around the 3" mark as well. I found that my rear shocks would hit the frame under extreme flex with 5" of lift so you might want to think about relocation them or at least triangulating them at around 4 or 5" of lift.

I can not speak on body lifts in this trucks as I have not done one but a 1 or 2" one would make getting to the distributor and tranny a lot easier.

Now on the ride quality... I have had several size lifts and have ridden in May others manufacturers lifts and this generation ram lifts very good I have never had a single complaint about a harsh ride. And my 5" tuff country lift would put flex most anything.

I have also found that the first piece of rocker panel to really take a beating that you wouldn't think of is right behind the rear tire. I cut it off on mine because I smashed it all the time... I had rock sliders on my 97 after I tore the factory running boards off on the trails.

Tire size... Ok this is where things get odd... I have tried many sizes but I'll only give the basics of what I had and results.... 33 x 11x 16 on factory rim and no lift rubbed on lower control arm at hard right turn but not to the left... No run at all with after market control arms and the 5" lift even jumping the truck. 36 x 12.5 x 15 on 15 x 8 steelies ( what I got them on)  and 5 " lift rubbed on wheel Wells at full flex not bad but did touch. 33 x 12.5 x 15 on 15 x 10 steelies no lift run at Locke turns and hard fast bumps. And stick way out of the wheel Wells....

There's tons more about these trucks I can post of anyone wants. Such as 03 track bar upgrade, steering cross braces...

I have owned 4 97's and a 98,  2000 and an 01.... A lot of you know me from ram jam rcc and all. I'm not scared to beat on my trucks or put them through the paces.  I used to go by saw960 and 4wheelinstud back in the start... Lol