News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Purple mountain eater (94 Grand Cherokee impound)

Started by workgoats, September 26, 2014, 09:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workgoats

This vehicle was impounded in Odessa, TX about a year ago.  It was impounded from private property and apparently for something that was very minor.  I bought it through an on-line auction and spent almost as much going to get it as I paid for it.

Having the storage lien and sale packet is supposed to be a quick exchange for a title but I found out that the original title had been out of state.  I'm hoping that will not be an issue.

workgoats

Here is the pic from the first day. 

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

workgoats

The interior isn't too bad either.  I only have two problems at this point.  The back hatch catch is frozen and it is missing the front driveshaft.

I can solve the hatch catch and I can buy a remanufactured driveshaft unless someone knows where there is a used one.  Apparently it will have to be from a 93 to 95 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 engine and automatic transmission.

A remanufactured driveshaft without a core will cost me about $255 + shipping from Rock Auto. (I'm running out of money on this project...)

SixGun

So have you been able to get measurements and see if the driveshaft will fit?

Poured cats and dogs all morning here. Haven't had a chance to play with the bumper pieces you made for me.

workgoats

We spent the entire day at the first of the Jr. Hi. Rodeos.  Grand daughter that's coming with me to Hidden Falls placed 4th in the poles and 5th in barrels, at the event.  Actually it was two different rodeos, run back to back.  It was her first rodeo (6th grade).

She placed in the money on both events, poles in the first rodeo and barrels in the second.

End result - no work on any vehicles.

Have to move a donkey after lunch tomorrow and then back to some vehicle.

ProjectM880

workgoats

Okay, here's some more info on the Jeep. 

I am sure now that the front driveshaft left the vehicle going down the highway.  There is no damage to the transfer, tranny or differential but there are some dents to the crossmember as it went by.

The driveshaft that Richard got me is a little long.  It is a quick fix and I will be picking up a lot of dollars worth of parts from the machine shop tomorrow.  I get personal stuff done cheaper when I get to sign a ticket for the big dollars.

The brakes are spongy because the adjusters are broken and the emergency brakes have been left on.  Some new shoes and adjuster kits are on the way.

Gear ratio is tagged as 3.73.  That along with the 2.72 ratio on the transfer would be really neat if my wife didn't need to be driving it.

rjtx667

thats always how it goes... but its better to have something for her than to be short a car  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

workgoats

I rebuilt the adjusters on the back brakes with parts from Amazon. 
I adjusted the parking brakes.
I then passed inspection. (after missing the license plate lights)
Now it has tags and supposedly the state will send me a title.
Driveshaft is being cut down.  The driveshaft that Richard found was from a 518 tranny and this Jeep has a 500.

(To me those are 727 with an overdrive and 904 with an overdrive.  What the heck?)

There are other numbers for these too, some thing like 42 and 46.  Might as well be Spanish... :icon_scratch:

Where's the smiley for the irate WIFE?  Maybe someone should put a wig on this one... :040:

SixGun

What's she upset about? The Jeep or her minivan?

workgoats

Well,

We ended up with a real bargain on a Tahoe for the wife, almost free...

So I stripped the van.  Lots of neat things like removable seats, little electric motors that open and close heater doors, speakers with built in tweeters, front seats to go in the yellow truck with matching seatbelts and more...

So I got my Purple Jeep back for about a week.  Now the grand daughter's car is sick and she is driving the Purple Jeep and I'm back in the Red Cherokee.

SixGun

rjtx667

thats why I like having an extra car or 3 around  :laughing7:

Its never fun when something breaks, but always nice to have a spare.

Sadly the 93 is not what I would consider streetable at this point, so I guess it no longer counts.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins