News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Electrical Issue

Started by joemouton, November 10, 2014, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemouton

I could use some help right now. I am having an electrical issue and I don't know what direction to go.

Issue 1-I have since owning the vehicle had a slow bleed down of the battery. I thought that it was related to the lock cylinder not finding its lock position and therefore I changed it out. So now the vehicle does completely shut off when I turn the key back and the radio doesn't pop on when it wants too.

Issue 2-After having it not go anywhere for a little while I disconnected the ground cable so it wouldn't bleed my battery down. Last week after moving in to an new house I started it after four months of it sitting. It took a little bit to get it started but it did start. I noticed that the blinkers where a little slower, proving this by turning on my hazards which causes it to operate normally. When I started using the radio I noticed that my blinkes stopped working. When I stopped to get gas I needed a jump.  But when I was at the stop light it idled just fine. After my jump when I would turn the blinkers on I could audiably hear a relay clicking behind the dash. Also I noticed that when I would moving about 20 MPH my blinkers would be working just fine, but when I would slow down or stop it would go back to being a slow blink, once every two or three seconds.

Issue 3-My headlights are no longer working. I also noticed one of my head lights is half full of water. I have removed the wire harness from the rear and never turned it on with the light full of water fearing that it might make my electrical issue worse. I have bought a new headlight kit allowing installation of new headlights instead of the factory headlights.

Any help would be appreciated.
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

crazzywolfie

could possibly have a bad fusible link that is getting worse. usually i recommend doing the big 3 upgrade. usually on these trucks tho it usually just consists of upgrading the positive wire that runs between the battery and alternator output. i would also recomend cleaning the ground connection on the rad support and engine and installing a voltage gauge somewhere so you can monitor the voltage fluctuation.

as far as the headlights go did you check the dimmer switch on the floor. usually the biggest issue on the older trucks. you can use a jumper wire to test this by bypassing it at the dimmer switch on the floor. middle wire goes to one of the outer wires when the lights are on

joemouton

Thanks crazzywolfie for the suggestions. I did check the dimmer switch last night and the brights do come on so it isn't that. I am going to the light switch this weekend and see what happens after that. I guess its completely possible for both light to be burned out.
84 RC AW100 360/727 4wd

crazzywolfie

if you got power at the switch on the floor and the switch on the floor is good then the lights bulbs are most likely the issue. you could use a test light to see if you got power or if you got a spare bulb sitting around it wouldn't hurt to hook it up to one of the connectors to test

Skyler812[78 RC]

That jus happened to me I thought I was the battery and the altenator but it wasn't it was the Voltage regulator have you checked that out you can go into Oriellys or AutoZone and they can hook it up and it will tell em what's good and bad

Skyler812[78 RC]

And once I fixed my voltage regulator my problem is fixed