News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Its frickin' cold today! Anybody working on their truck?

Started by SixGun, January 09, 2015, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

:coffee2:  Definitely a hot coffee day (or hot chocolate for you ladies  :laughing7:).  What are you guys working on or doing in this cold weather?  No garage space, so Im just watching the tube bundled up.  Learning about France's terror problems. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse.  :disgust:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectM880

I've been battling 40 Degree Temperatures, 35 MPH Winds, and 10-20 Ft Swells. Needless to say I don;t have sea legs at all. I've been Green in the Face for a week but luckly have not had to praise the Porcelain God. The rig is all over the place and just wont stop moving. Poor career choice for some one that gets motion sickness.

SixGun

ProjectM880

Quote from: SixGun on January 09, 2015, 07:01:13 PM
Wow, 10x worse at sea.   :puke:
Indeed, That wind cuts right through you and the moving back and forth makes me feel like crap all the time. At least I know I don;t have a future career as a Alaskan fisherman .

I have a ruler hanging in front of my desk on the wall and it just moves back and forth like a pendulum .........  :puke:

workgoats

Okay, so I bought another Grand Cherokee for the grand-daughter so I could get the Purple Jeep back.  Bought a 97 Grand Cherokee from the Fort Worth Police impound auction for $425.  It's 2 wheel drive and had to have a battery and a muffler.  I've also got to fix the glove compartment.  It was broken in the police search.

All that prefaces the need to weld a muffler on when I don't even have room to get it into the garage...  (In this weather...)

ProjectM880

Quote from: workgoats on January 09, 2015, 07:13:31 PM
Okay, so I bought another Grand Cherokee for the grand-daughter so I could get the Purple Jeep back.  Bought a 97 Grand Cherokee from the Fort Worth Police impound auction for $425.  It's 2 wheel drive and had to have a battery and a muffler.  I've also got to fix the glove compartment.  It was broken in the police search.

All that prefaces the need to weld a muffler on when I don't even have room to get it into the garage...  (In this weather...)

Good Score, What all do you have to do to buy these police impounds Ron? Seem like great deals, I still wish I was on land to buy that Police Command unit you sent me months ago.

SixGun

I haven't had coveralls in years.  Had a couple pairs of military coveralls that were stolen years ago in an apartment laundry mat.  Anyone know a good source for coveralls that wont cost an arm and a leg. I don't want to ruin a good coat working on the truck in this weather.

SixGun

After checking online, I went to Tractor Supply and Academy but only bibs without lining left.  I even checked out the hunting gear but nothing is even on clearance yet.   :(

ProjectM880

I would look at www.Amazon.com, they have everything and normally cheaper prices then walmart ,academy, and tsc.

crazzywolfie

it was freezing cold at work today and it seemed to get colder once the sun came up and it got windier. i don't plan on doing any wrenching on anything unless i need to. hopefully nothing breaks

workgoats

Quote from: ProjectM880 on January 09, 2015, 07:16:15 PM
Good Score, What all do you have to do to buy these police impounds Ron? Seem like great deals, I still wish I was on land to buy that Police Command unit you sent me months ago.

Bidding is done on line.  Most of the items can be inspected but the Fort Worth impounds may not be available.  Some of the sellers will tell you if they run and drive.  Most will tell you if they have a key.  I think it is really risky to bid without seeing the vehicle but both of the Jeeps I bought were sight unseen.

Anyway, if you win the bid, you can pay on line with a credit or debit card.  The auction office is in Fort Worth.  After you pay (credit card takes about 3% additional) they send you a receipt by e-mail and then you can schedule to pick up whatever you have bought.  Each item has the rules about pickup printed on the item info.

The purple Jeep was abandoned on private party.  It was sold for storage charges.  The seller did all the paperwork.  Most counties it is a quick trip to a clean title.  Brazos County was a little strange but it got done.

The police impound came with forms filled out, including an application for title already filled out in my name.  That Jeep had a lien on it but the police paperwork says it is mine, free and clear.

I haven't bought any vehicles from the state yet, but that should be a standard title transfer.

Some have asked how I get by in purchasing these without some kind of license.  As best I can tell, the vehicles in this auction are without insurance claim.  They are abandoned, confiscated or sold outright without any insurance claim.

They sell a lot of 4x4 pickups from various state agencies.  I think any of those would require inspection.  Condition would certainly vary by driver or drivers.

ProjectM880

Great Information Ron! Thanks!  :thumbsup:

I need to check them out more

rjtx667

I worked on the dakota trying to get it running right to move it on down the road. Found a leak (won't say the only one) on the intake manifold gasket because of a bolt that would not run all the way down. Got a Tap for it and cleared it and its all good. It runs better till 3k then still falls on its face. I need new plugs for it then we are going to test it all again.

Today... well today was a different story as to what I did, go look in projects.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on January 11, 2015, 08:33:05 PM
I worked on the dakota trying to get it running right to move it on down the road. Found a leak (won't say the only one) on the intake manifold gasket because of a bolt that would not run all the way down. Got a Tap for it and cleared it and its all good. It runs better till 3k then still falls on its face. I need new plugs for it then we are going to test it all again.

Today... well today was a different story as to what I did, go look in projects.

Sounds like you've been busy!

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins