News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2wd

Started by rjtx667, January 11, 2015, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 23, 2015, 10:09:22 AM
Ernest said he heard it missing even at idle... I don't know diesel's well enough to be able to tell.

I could see the wrist pin being the cause of it all, just hope its not screwed up too much stuff in there yet.

Its not a ticking sound, its definitely a knock.

I have no doubt pulling the head is a royal PITA, just from shear size and weight if nothing else.

I have time to think on how to proceed, the long list of projects lol

If it is missing then the piston hit the valve... again very likely from rod bearing or wrist pin failure
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectPW

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 23, 2015, 10:31:21 AM
If it is missing then the piston hit the valve... again very likely from rod bearing or wrist pin failure

As far as screwed up stuff in there, well it is a lost cause... it is time for a new long block dude... why tempt fate when you know it can bite you in the ass ... 2cents  :035:

ProjectPW

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 23, 2015, 10:34:15 AM
As far as screwed up stuff in there, well it is a lost cause... it is time for a new long block dude... why tempt fate when you know it can bite you in the ass ... 2cents  :035:

If you absolutely have to know if it will be fixable....PULL THE MOTOR... PUT MOTOR ON STAND... THEN Take all pieces that aren't f'ed to the machine shop.... plan on a new crankshaft (maybe fixable), 1 connecting rod/piston assembly , all new bearings everywhere and a couple of valves..

You already have the transmission out.... the hard part is done LOL

rjtx667

Yeah I am sure I will end up pulling it, as you said with the transmission off the hard part is done.

Now I have to find an engine stand to support that beast. Then... yeah tear into it some and see what I see. Why not the cost of that is my time, and I am a curious being that enjoys learning.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 23, 2015, 10:45:52 AM
Yeah I am sure I will end up pulling it, as you said with the transmission off the hard part is done.

Now I have to find an engine stand to support that beast. Then... yeah tear into it some and see what I see. Why not the cost of that is my time, and I am a curious being that enjoys learning.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-918014/overview/

something like that will do it.... remove accessories and manifolds before mounting it up to shave as much weight as possible.  Dont forget to remove the flexplate 1st too as it will cause trouble getting the crank out later

ProjectPW

if you pull the valve cover to check valve lash you will find that the adjustment on the afflicted cylinders valves will be way off.... this is because the valve is bent and not seating fully

edit... check lash when both valves are fully closed and piston at tdc compression

rjtx667

thats not a bad price. and yeah remove all that stuff before pulling it out probably.. help with the weight of the sucker to pull out as well.

then removing the radiator, intercooler, and all that fun stuff up front as well. my 2 bay garage area will be turned into a 1 car garage to deal with all the parts lol

Hmm I had not thought about checking the lash and seeing how bad it is. I know its the 6th cylinder... that would be a easy thing to check.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 23, 2015, 11:03:52 AM
thats not a bad price. and yeah remove all that stuff before pulling it out probably.. help with the weight of the sucker to pull out as well.

then removing the radiator, intercooler, and all that fun stuff up front as well. my 2 bay garage area will be turned into a 1 car garage to deal with all the parts lol

Hmm I had not thought about checking the lash and seeing how bad it is. I know its the 6th cylinder... that would be a easy thing to check.

normal is about .010 intake & .020 exhaust... abnormal will be more like .050"+... especially if all other valves seem close to right

rjtx667

If the valves are bent, I should be able to hear it leaking out if I do a leak down test and listen closely.

Not hard to pull the injector with the cover off... well not hard relatively... that #6 its a PITA for anything but it could be worse.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 23, 2015, 11:11:31 AM
If the valves are bent, I should be able to hear it leaking out if I do a leak down test and listen closely.

Not hard to pull the injector with the cover off... well not hard relatively... that #6 its a PITA for anything but it could be worse.

yes a leak down will tell you a lot... however I would do all of this investigation with the motor on a stand. It will make much simpler work and you know thats where this is headed.

A good rule is that if it can be taken apart more easily later, and it doesn't interfere with pulling the motor ... leave it for a time when the part (like a pia injector) is easily dealt with

here is another nice stand...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sxt-8259

it has better reviews than  the summit brand and is more storable

rjtx667

Storability is good.

and yeah it would be a lot easier out of the truck. I am itching to work on this thing, I even managed to get a little $$ put back for repairs... but not long block $$. I just have too many projects. I need like 2 weeks off work to catch up on projects so I can work on it lol
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 23, 2015, 11:20:54 AM
Storability is good.

and yeah it would be a lot easier out of the truck. I am itching to work on this thing, I even managed to get a little $$ put back for repairs... but not long block $$. I just have too many projects. I need like 2 weeks off work to catch up on projects so I can work on it lol

I hear you... I am still recovering on the Dodge fund  :confused2: ..... you might save some good money over a long block  :dontknow: ...It all depends on what you find in there

Here is one more stand. I think I need this one  :great:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnr-5150470/overview/

edit: better deal here - >  http://www.amazon.com/JEGS-Performance-Products-80042-Engine/dp/B007VRESH6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1427127480&sr=8-10&keywords=engine+stand

edit edit: this is getting out of hand -> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JV8BQWI/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_02_02_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rjtx667

http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-foldable-engine-stand-69521.html

Not sure if the quality is any different... but shipping and price is.

Yeah thats why I want to dig down into it first. I need to save $$ where I can to make this come out a decent deal in the end.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 23, 2015, 11:32:01 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-foldable-engine-stand-69521.html

Not sure if the quality is any different... but shipping and price is.

Yeah thats why I want to dig down into it first. I need to save $$ where I can to make this come out a decent deal in the end.

ok you win by like 10$ if you count sales tax... but you still have to go get it... I am a free shipping whore ( I dont go anywhere unless absolutely 100% necessary)  :headbang:

rjtx667

well harbor freight is like 1.5 miles from me... its not a 3 hour trip like it is for you.

But yeah, free shipping is king. Got to love Amazon for that.

95% of my parts for the trail rig rebuild came from amazon. If they had sold the injectors for the cummins I would have prob bought those there too lol.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins