News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2wd

Started by rjtx667, January 11, 2015, 08:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

ya. the neutral safety switch usually pulls a ground from the transmission case. i think if you ran a wire from the sensor case to the vehicle body somewhere it should acknowledge park or neutral. even on the older trucks there is usually only 1 wire to the neutral safety switch to stop starting and the switch gets its ground from the transmission case

ProjectM880

Did you run a straight edge on the old flex plate to see if its out of round?

Maybe its a little warped rather than cracked.

rjtx667

I did not do a straight edge, but I did lay it against the new one. It looked pretty straight so not sure.

I did figure out how to get it started last night  :angry4:  it still has the knock at 1200 rpm. It did not seem as bad as before but its still there.

So now I guess I drop the oil pan. Its just not ending with this truck
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 10, 2015, 08:52:02 AM
I did not do a straight edge, but I did lay it against the new one. It looked pretty straight so not sure.

I did figure out how to get it started last night  :angry4:  it still has the knock at 1200 rpm. It did not seem as bad as before but its still there.

So now I guess I drop the oil pan. Its just not ending with this truck

Why drop the oil pan? Pull the motor while the tranny is out and save yourself some work dude  :great:...... If you feel compelled put the motor on a stand and check it out.... it is only a core at this point  :035:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

Just need that 4 ton engine hoist you've always wanted.  :017:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

thats the issue, I question if my 2 ton engine hoist can do the job? maybe without the transmission its possible?  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

it can be done  :thumbsup:

rjtx667

dang you did it without removing the front of the truck or the hood?

that had to be a magic trick.

Everything I see online says remove the hood and the front of the truck so its easier to pull out.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectPW

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 10, 2015, 10:20:24 AM
dang you did it without removing the front of the truck or the hood?

that had to be a magic trick.

Everything I see online says remove the hood and the front of the truck so its easier to pull out.

That wasn't me... I would have at least pulled the hood though.

My helper Robert took this pic at his last job.

rjtx667

why oh why do you have to live so far away from me?  :violent1:

I figure at this point its gonna sit a while. As soon as the yard is not a swamp the trail rig is getting pulled into the garage and loosing some heads.

I figure this project is at a stand still until I get some more cash to play.

For now I just have to plan at least 1 more trip of pulling the trail rig with the mexico ramcharger. and that means trying to fix the steering on that, as I think that will help pulling  a lot.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

when it rains it pours  :violent1:

Martin was taking the valve body for the transmission (all boxed up) to fedex. Made a stop on the way... yeah someone stole the box out of the back.

Martin is getting ready to go on a 3 week vacation, and to make matters worse apparently the 48RE valve bodys are not a dime a dozen and hard to find.

So now Martin has to find a valve body and re-work the new one.

I did ask how it looked, he said there was no bore damage but had some sticky valves from lack of maintenance. The ATF fluid did not look like it had ever been changed. Other than that he said he did not see any major issues with it and it should be ok for a while.

He did mention that a blown head gasket can sometimes cause a knock if its blown between cylinders and not a water jacket?

I might pull the  head... can't hurt before pulling the block out and would make it lighter to pull the block.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Quote from: rjtx667 on March 10, 2015, 05:09:41 PM
when it rains it pours  :violent1:

Martin was taking the valve body for the transmission (all boxed up) to fedex. Made a stop on the way... yeah someone stole the box out of the back.

Martin is getting ready to go on a 3 week vacation, and to make matters worse apparently the 48RE valve bodys are not a dime a dozen and hard to find.

So now Martin has to find a valve body and re-work the new one.

I did ask how it looked, he said there was no bore damage but had some sticky valves from lack of maintenance. The ATF fluid did not look like it had ever been changed. Other than that he said he did not see any major issues with it and it should be ok for a while.

He did mention that a blown head gasket can sometimes cause a knock if its blown between cylinders and not a water jacket?

I might pull the  head... can't hurt before pulling the block out and would make it lighter to pull the block.

Damn that Hurts!

Hopefully it will all get figured out.

rjtx667

torque converter made it in wed before we headed out of town. that thing is heavy duty let me tell you  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

So whats the plan?

Pull the Head?

Pull The Motor?

Or just pull the motor apart piece by piece?

Sounds like you might as well take the plunge and pull the whole thing unless you think you can rebuild it in the truck

rjtx667

Going to pull the head and that will tell me if I have to pull the block or not.

But I figure at this point once the head is pulled I will do 1 of 2 things... either a between the frames rebuild or a pulled out rebuild.

If I can do it between the frame then it will be cheaper, and won't require new pistons but we shall see.

I know Noah said get a long block, but I rather know what parts are in it... even if that means I don't get a warranty.

Warranty is only as good as those who back it up. :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins