News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

MSD Coils

Started by SixGun, March 07, 2015, 10:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

I'm looking to replace my coil on Carter.  I've used an MSD blaster 8222 high vibration coil on the 91 Ram for several years now and I'm very happy with it. However, I had to modify it slightly to fit the coil wire.  Nothing major but a direct fit would be best.  The problem at hand is all about the tower connection.  Specifically 8202 vs 8223. The 8202 has the same female connection as stock but will need slight modification like the high vibration model. The 8223 Blaster 3 has a male connection. Funny thing is that several parts houses show this one as a direct fit for my application- why?

Anyone had any experience with it?

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

SixGun

The more I read about these models, the more I think I will go with another High Vibration model with the epoxy compound unless oil filled is far superior in anyones experience.  The 8202 and 8223 are both oil filled and MSD recommends mounting in an upright position. Both of my trucks are horizontal mount. I plan in moving the mount on Carter from the block to the firewall horizontally like the 91 Ram. The 8223 also has that extended tower which may be beneficial and does include a 90* terminal plug.

Any input before I dive in?

ProjectPW

1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

ProjectPW

SixGun

I was actually looking at the petronix one. The MSD blaster has gone up like $10.  :thumbsup:

Cool,
Thanks

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 08, 2015, 07:38:13 PM
I was actually looking at the petronix one. The MSD blaster has gone up like $10.  :thumbsup:

Cool,
Thanks

remember no ballast resistor with the 1.5ohm pertronix   :thumbsup:

SixGun

Quote from: ProjectPW on March 08, 2015, 08:08:08 PM
remember no ballast resistor with the 1.5ohm pertronix   :thumbsup:

Ok I'm putting this coil in but with no resistor does that mean leave it un hooked or jumper wire? Directions don't say and I don't want to burn anything up. Common sense says jumper but just wanna be sure.  ECU warns of not running it without resistor. If I read correctly, it is internally resisted. 

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 14, 2015, 01:39:01 PM
Ok I'm putting this coil in but with no resistor does that mean leave it un hooked or jumper wire? Directions don't say and I don't want to burn anything up. Common sense says jumper but just wanna be sure.  ECU warns of not running it without resistor. If I read correctly, it is internally resisted.

Are you running a standard chrysler ignition module.. or a bigger lean burn computer mounted in the fenderwell? I assume that you are are running the standard module (orange,black,blue,silver)... if that is the case just jumper the ballast resistor... leave the ballast in place just in case you need to put the original coil back on for testing in the future... Mainly you just want to make sure the coil has 12+ volts while cranking and running  :great:

SixGun

I bought the parts you suggested. Petronix 1.5 ohm coil, orange box ecu, ecu harness plus some 8.5 mm ignition wires. That outta get me some juice.  I figured on the jumper so I made one just didn't run it until I was sure. Picked up a firewall bracket for coil from jy and mounted it also.

ProjectPW

Quote from: SixGun on March 15, 2015, 04:39:34 AM
I bought the parts you suggested. Petronix 1.5 ohm coil, orange box ecu, ecu harness plus some 8.5 mm ignition wires. That outta get me some juice.  I figured on the jumper so I made one just didn't run it until I was sure. Picked up a firewall bracket for coil from jy and mounted it also.

good deal... a fresh start on the ignition will make sure you know what's what