News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

87 R/C project

Started by bullboy0852, March 24, 2015, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullboy0852

Well its been a while but got a decent phone so I'm back. Haven't done a lot to the truck, did replace the motor mounts, plugged the egr manifold holes, and all new exhaust and gaskets. Headers still frickin leak. Gonna get a rebuilt 318 as I'm leaking compression in all cylinders and it comes out cheaper and more reliable than a home rebuild.
Do have a question though, any difference in the roller 318 and the non roller? I'd like to go with the roller but will my stuff bolt onto that block and heads? The roller says its from 86-97 or something like that.
Also replaced u-joints, bearings and races, and spindle nuts on my driver side, lifted the truck and had about 8 inches of wobble!!! Never even made a sound! Scary stuff, drives straight now lol
Also got the seat latch in and after 4 hours and exhausting YouTube got the latch on the glovebox changed put, that thing was tricky. Many parts being refurbished from the 2wd before I put em on, a\c is next on the list for moab next year.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

bullboy0852

bullboy0852

Mounted the coil up high, changed out the "fire" breather, exhaust is out the rear but will have to change it hits everything in flex. Replaced the seat latch, painted the glovebox

bullboy0852

Question, how do I get the 4wd light to go out? Is the switch on the axle disconnect or t-case, can't find it in the haynes

rjtx667

usually that is the switch on the axle tube near the cad disconnect.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

K, have to pull it and see what's up that's annoying at night

ProjectM880

bullboy0852

OK so I did a very bad thing in a moment of despair and necessity... I oiled up as I left the house for work, got almost halfway there and oil was dry. I didn't get paid yet and had no more oil at hand so I refilled it with 80-140 gear oil. Surprisingly, all chatter from the engine was eliminated and no more smoke cloud. Still burning it but at a much lower rate. Now, how bad is it?

crazzywolfie

hahaha that is funny but it is something exactly like i would do. i don't think you will do any damage. oil is oil. gear oil is just a lot thicker oil. as long as you didn't fill it full of gear oil should be fine. i am pretty sure i have probably done the exact same thing at one point or another. i have also topped up with ATF when i had nothing else. also if you know your burning oil it probably wouldn't hurt to run something a bit thicker like 15w40. i ran that stuff in my truck and it seemed to run just fine with it.

bullboy0852

I've run 60w race oil and every diesel/tractor oil I can try, 100 bottles of stop leak, I've tried it all man she's just wore slap out somewhere.

crazzywolfie

have you replaced the valve seals? i know mine are shot. i have been thinking of replacing them but just not got around to it yet. i even got a complete set to replace them all.

bullboy0852

Yah I just did the valve seals

bullboy0852

Selling this one too if anyone's interested

bullboy0852

OK, not selling this one. Got a new daily and get to keep this one for play. :)

bullboy0852

New daily