News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

87 R/C project

Started by bullboy0852, March 24, 2015, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectPW

Quote from: bullboy0852 on April 16, 2015, 05:21:02 PM
Got the steering shaft on, new distributor tomorrow before i head out. Having serious troubleshooting issues with a random intermittent non-start type problem. Sometimes it cranks and will shut straight down. Sometimes it wont run at all. Sometimes it'll go 400 miles no problem. Its driving me nuts.

Hard to diagnose problem... but if you can get it to hidden falls the collective knowledge can certainly get you pointed in the right direction... in the mean time dont turn it off  :evil6:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

SixGun

What he said, start driving now!   :laughing4:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

bullboy0852

Lol im leaving around 12:30, got a new dizzy at the partz house at 12. Never made the trip so idk how long it'll take, im guessing 4-6 hours

crazzywolfie

Quote from: bullboy0852 on April 16, 2015, 06:30:44 PM
Nah, never dealt with one before. Looks brand new though. Is there a way to test it?
should be able to test it with a multi meter or you could just bypass it for a minute. if you connect the 2 wires together and your truck runs then your ballast resister is most likely bad. the starter relay has a power wire that bypasses the ballast resister when cranking so it may fire while cranking but die the moment you stop cranking.

bullboy0852

Next question, what if the resistor is not hooked up? Cuz i looked and it isnt.

ProjectPW

Quote from: bullboy0852 on April 16, 2015, 09:50:39 PM
Next question, what if the resistor is not hooked up? Cuz i looked and it isnt.

It would not run at all unless someone has bypassed it. The coil is running full battery voltage at all times if this was done w, which depending on the coil could be OK or not

bullboy0852

Factory coil, was running perfect, still does when its in a good mood lol

bullboy0852

Parts on order, have to wait til i get back home to do install. New cam and lifters and timing set. Cam is worn bad, number 3 exhaust is not even moving and multiple cylinders barely moving, prolly a lot to do with the power issue. Gonna try out the mopar purple cam, got the 1-5k rpm range get a lil more bottom end. Good news is the ignition is solid now, fires right up just bumping the starter every time and doesn't die til the keys turned off. Gotta take the bad with the good i reckon. :)

ProjectPW

Quote from: bullboy0852 on April 23, 2015, 07:25:18 AM
Parts on order, have to wait til i get back home to do install. New cam and lifters and timing set. Cam is worn bad, number 3 exhaust is not even moving and multiple cylinders barely moving, prolly a lot to do with the power issue. Gonna try out the mopar purple cam, got the 1-5k rpm range get a lil more bottom end. Good news is the ignition is solid now, fires right up just bumping the starter every time and doesn't die til the keys turned off. Gotta take the bad with the good i reckon. :)

yup... been there.... eventually the list is much shorter  :13: 

rjtx667

good progress, sorry to hear about all your issues.... but that seems to be how it goes. fix something and make it stronger and better, then you find the next weak link... rinse and repeat.  :laughing7:

Good luck getting it all together and running good. What timing set did you order?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852

Its a summit racing double roller. Dont think its adjustable but i didnt see any that i liked.

bullboy0852

I wanted the gear drive but an extra 350 bucks is a bit steep.

bullboy0852

Should i go ahead and do cam bearings and dizzy intermediate shaft while im in there?

rjtx667

the intermediate shaft has to come out to get the camshaft out. You can clean it... but no need to replace it unless its broke.

Mine on the 93 was a real PITA to get out... I have never had that hard of a time, it had oil caked on it over and over... but I got it out, cleaned it up and it was fine.

The cam bearings you have to have a machine shop press them in (as far as I know) so I would check them and if they look good, leave them.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

bullboy0852