News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

87 R/C project

Started by bullboy0852, March 24, 2015, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullboy0852

Finally got the engine tore open, just bored and piddling. This is the destruction. I was wondering, has anyone ever sleeved a 318? And could it be done to this one? Half the bore is gone but I would assume you'd remove it anyhow to sleeve it, never seen one done so idk how it works.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

SixGun

Ouch !!  Looks like a lot of carnage.

Can probably find a running 318 for cheaper.  You would need to sleeve the block but also, you would need new rods, rebuild kit and prep the block. Lotsa money.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

ProjectPW

yeah man that block is toast.... you are better of finding a used but decent motor and start over
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

bullboy0852

I was afraid of that

bullboy0852

Well we have come upon free so I won't turn away from the work. This truck will be donating it's fuel injected 360 Magnum to the R/C, along with many parts to make it work. The rest of the truck is going to scrap unless someone wants bits off it. It's an 8 lug rear axle, haven't looked to see what it is yet

crazzywolfie

sweet. can't go wrong with free. i wouldn't be surprised if you found lots of people interested in parts off that thing and make some pretty good money. looks pretty clean and rust free to me.

bullboy0852

It is, used to be my step father's work truck, I blew out the reverse in the transmission and it's been parked since, he cranked it up every once in a while. All the plastic on the driver's side got melted when the truck next to it caught fire and the interior is pretty rough.

crazzywolfie

most of the time people don't usually worry too much about plastic or trim as long as the panels are straight and rust free. i know a good straight rust free box usually goes for $500+ here but then again everything rusts out here. i know next summer i am going to have to get a new fender for my 89 before i even consider doing any bodywork or paint to it.

ProjectPW

Awesome you wont regret the swap. Let me know if you have any questions.
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

bullboy0852

I will, and I have an 87 fender, will it fit your 89?

bullboy0852

Coming along nicely. Update: swapped for a n almost new 318, few thousand miles on it. Hopefully get to crank it this weekend :)

bullboy0852

Getting a lil huff and puff, a lil fire and smoke but she won't start. Having a brain fart...

SixGun

A couple of things always seem to come up on a motor swap.

1) Double check that you are on TDC

2) Double check your firing order

Good Luck
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

bullboy0852

Firing order=perfect.    Tdc shouldn't have moved, the gear stays inside the engine when you pull the dizzy, you're either spot on or 180 out. I am getting puffs of flame out of the exhaust ports occasionally but not regularly as right now I'm pouring gas into the carb, it's not wanting to prime

bullboy0852

Fuel line had two large holes in it at the fuel pump suction side. Still haven't seen any fuel however, wondering if the tank side connection is any good??? This is turning out to be a nightmare  going to let the battery charge, read through the Chilton again, and send up some prayers.