News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

203/20? doubler ??

Started by workgoats, June 13, 2015, 08:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workgoats

Ok, I have a big block 727 with a 203 transfer.  I'm not really sure which transfer is coming in the 57 powerwagon.  One source says it is a 201 and another source says it is a 202. 

Is there a chance of using the 201 or 202 in place of a 205 to make a doubler to go behind the 383?

Whichever transfer it is, it will be divorced.

ProjectPW

I don't think it has ever been done  :dontknow: I would doubt that any ready made adapter is available and the input us likely a 10 spline on a 201/202 which would also pose a problem with the 203 which uses 32 spline output if I remember correctly
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

workgoats

I may look into it when I get the truck here.  I've never stopped because it hadn't been done before...

And, we have a full machine shop at work and an engineer that likes to make odd stuff.  I might be able to design an adapter.  I might have to have a conversion shaft made too. 

The 383 had about 3 gallons of water in it when I finally got it to the house.  I figured it was toast.  I pulled the pan and it looks good on the bottom.  The water was clear and there is no rust.  However, the number 8 cylinder had enough rust in it that it will have to be bored if I am to use the engine.  Right now everything is off the block except the oil pump and the motor mounts.  Cam is still in.

I don't have the finances to do that at the present time so I'll set it all on a counter and look at options.  It's a good year for 383's.  It was built in November of 1969 and everything is stock on the engine.

ProjectPW

I am glad to hear that old 383 might get some love it need a good home  :thumbsup:

What are your plans foe a vehicle to put this in? 1957 Power Wagon....  :dance: :13:
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

workgoats

My hope was to put this in the 57 PW.  I still plan to do this but I don't have the finances to build the motor now.  I will store it till I get rich again...

It looks like I may put the Magnum 360 from the yellow truck in the 57 for the time being, with a 727.

I plan to at least look at making a 203 into a gear reduction with an output shaft.  Then I could use it with the 202 transfer in the 57 and have the option of 2x reduction or 4x reduction, using the divorced transfer.  Probably won't work but who knows, we might be able to make a cover plate and design an output shaft...