News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1988 ramcharger RUST PROBLEMS

Started by charleskey9718, July 30, 2015, 12:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charleskey9718

Hey guys I'm new to this app...or whatever this is. I'm not sure. But I need help with something. My trucks frame is EXTREMELY rusted out.

So as you can see, it's destroyed from rust. This truck is extremely sentimental to me and the rest of my family because it was my uncle's truck and he passed away. He left it to me. I would like y'all's input because I want to keep it. Not gonna sell it. I want to fix it but I'm not sure how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProjectPW

You need a donor truck with a good frame... there is no fixing that kind of rust ...
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

charleskey9718

Well I am looking for something temporary that I can do. I'm moving 1000 miles in a couple weeks and I am not getting rid of my truck. I know where I can get a decent frame and all that for cheap. That's not an issue. I just desperately need to know how to make it a little stronger so I can drive it 1000 miles

charleskey9718

SixGun

If you're moving by uhaul, just rent a car hauler but don't tell them its for a truck.  :laughing7:

That SUV in the background might be able to haul it.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

charleskey9718

Well, honestly, the Lincoln isn't in good enough shape to tow anything. It doesn't run worth a damn. I decided to leave it here for my buddy to use when his car breaks down. Which will be soon. He has 320,000 miles on his pickup. The ramcharger is fully functional, though, and do you think I could do anything to keep it from falling apart on the road?

ProjectPW

Quote from: charleskey9718 on July 30, 2015, 11:40:15 AM
Well, honestly, the Lincoln isn't in good enough shape to tow anything. It doesn't run worth a damn. I decided to leave it here for my buddy to use when his car breaks down. Which will be soon. He has 320,000 miles on his pickup. The ramcharger is fully functional, though, and do you think I could do anything to keep it from falling apart on the road?

Honestly no... It is a safety hazard to you and those around you on the road. I have never seen one that bad
1979 W150 "TOP HAND", and way to many other mopars!

charleskey9718

Quote from: ProjectPW on July 30, 2015, 02:43:37 PM
Honestly no... It is a safety hazard to you and those around you on the road. I have never seen one that bad

That's what I figured :/

crazzywolfie

I would have to agree with the others. It would be very unsafe to drive it as is. Are you renting a moving truck to move all your stuff? If so I would recommend spending the extra $100 or so that it would cost to rent a trailer and just tow it to where your going.

SixGun

You have to think of it as a ticking time bomb. It may not go off but what if it does? Its not worth the risk. Get it and yourself safely to your destination and then do it right with a frame swap.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

charleskey9718

Quote from: crazzywolfie on July 30, 2015, 03:48:22 PM
I would have to agree with the others. It would be very unsafe to drive it as is. Are you renting a moving truck to move all your stuff? If so I would recommend spending the extra $100 or so that it would cost to rent a trailer and just tow it to where your going.

Actually I have to use this truck to move my stuff. I ain't got but a few things. Enough to fit in the back.

charleskey9718

Quote from: SixGun on July 30, 2015, 04:01:10 PM
You have to think of it as a ticking time bomb. It may not go off but what if it does? Its not worth the risk. Get it and yourself safely to your destination and then do it right with a frame swap.

I will do it right when I get there.. I'll just take the extra time to keep myself and others safe and drive on back roads to avoid going too fast.

rjtx667

your rear leaf spring rear mount is completely separated from the frame.

My 92 ramcharger had rust, but it was not that bad.... and I had to scrap the whole thing as well.

in all seriousness.. its not safe to drive... the rear axle is not secured in 4 spots. any little hit or bump may do any number of things. imagine doing 40-60 mph and your rear axle goes sideways and you loose control of steering.

I think they are right.. right a uhaul truck and trailer and move that way. Try to see if someone can help, see if you can leave it with a friend until you can haul it where your going.

Even if your able to get it to where your going... it does not need to be drove until you have a new frame.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

charleskey9718

Okay so here is a question that I need answers to as well. What all will need to be replaced when I take the body off the frame? First things I can think of are body mounts, anything rubber, and suspension bolts, most likely. Anything else?

rjtx667

too hard to say, just have to look at everything. the diner may have better axles, but even those probably could use a refresh. Then brake and fuel lines, spring bushings, engine mounts, transmission mounts, etc. basically I would suggest taking the body off and move parts over and check everything out before the body goes back on.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins