News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

1988 ramcharger RUST PROBLEMS

Started by charleskey9718, July 30, 2015, 12:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charleskey9718

Quote from: rjtx667 on August 01, 2015, 12:13:17 PM
too hard to say, just have to look at everything. the diner may have better axles, but even those probably could use a refresh. Then brake and fuel lines, spring bushings, engine mounts, transmission mounts, etc. basically I would suggest taking the body off and move parts over and check everything out before the body goes back on.

Sounds like enough work to last me a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

personally to me the most important thing to replace when you do a frame swap is brake lines/brake. where i live you are very lucky to get 10 years out of a set of brake lines before they need to be replaced. now if you can afford it i would possibly recommend looking into stainless steel brake lines. i think you can get complete kits. they might be a bit expensive originally but will possibly save you in the long run if they prevent you from having an accident.

all the things Ryan mention shouldn't take too long to do if you got the body off. i think the only limiting factor would be your budget and free time to work on it. if you don't have a have too many limits i think you could have most of the work done in less than a week.

charleskey9718

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 01, 2015, 05:52:03 PM
personally to me the most important thing to replace when you do a frame swap is brake lines/brake. where i live you are very lucky to get 10 years out of a set of brake lines before they need to be replaced. now if you can afford it i would possibly recommend looking into stainless steel brake lines. i think you can get complete kits. they might be a bit expensive originally but will possibly save you in the long run if they prevent you from having an accident.

all the things Ryan mention shouldn't take too long to do if you got the body off. i think the only limiting factor would be your budget and free time to work on it. if you don't have a have too many limits i think you could have most of the work done in less than a week.

My main issue is the money and availability... I don't make but just over minimum wage at 40 hours a week. It's pathetic.

crazzywolfie

you got to do what you got to do to get by. i would still go with what i said before tho. brakes are one of the most important things if you do a frame swap. most of the other things don't matter too much as long as they don't look like they are going to fall apart.

charleskey9718

Quote from: crazzywolfie on August 02, 2015, 03:14:00 AM
you got to do what you got to do to get by. i would still go with what i said before tho. brakes are one of the most important things if you do a frame swap. most of the other things don't matter too much as long as they don't look like they are going to fall apart.

Thank you so much! Most of the truck need to be replaced underneath. From suspension components to driveshafts, all of it needs to be replaced. But its functions alright the way it is. I'm just afraid it'll all break apart when I take it off. Like leaf springs. They'll get screwed if I take them off

SixGun

So where are you located and where are you moving to?
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket