News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Project Death Trailer - Lance's trailer

Started by ProjectM880, October 08, 2015, 05:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeystoneSmooth

I was thinking just the same, except only to the hook of shame.
1985 RamCharger Prospector Ed.
The rest is open to interpretation.
Keystone Smooth.

rjtx667

hook of shame only applies while in the park... nothing about it in the rule book for getting to the park  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ProjectM880

Maybe hook Keystone to the trailer and tow the Chevy ?

rjtx667

might work for Lance, but pretty sure your rig is like mine.. not highway friendly anymore.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

KeystoneSmooth

Trailer Update:

Pulled like a dream (as much as could be expected with a 4.8L powerplant :tard: ). Despite the length turning is responsive, and it is stable as can be. The locations of the Welded on D-Rings was suspect to begin, but ended up being just about perfect.

Unfortunately....one issue did present itself in the line of duty. After a good long weekend of going all over the place, with certainly a few butt-puckerers, my last challenge was to actually get Keystone back on DeathTrailer in order to get home; that is indeed the ultimate goal. Turns out, wet metal, mud caked tires, and the wheel base of the RC made for the perfect storm....and help was needed to get on my own trailer. Again, remember, the vehicle is perfectly fine, has been all over the place all weekend, not one hiccup besides being cold and wet in general. 10 minutes from leaving, and I have to be winched up my own trailer thanks to a certain PowerWagon.  :13:

A fender was dented in the above attempt to get on under engine power.  :violent1:

However, Amazon, a grinding / cutting wheel, expanded metal, welder, and some amigos later, and the drive-over fenders now have some serious texture, and probably will solve the problem outright. Lastly though, it seemed as though longer ramps may be needed in order to help tackle the wheel base issue. One has been constructed, and it weighs about 3k lbs. I now have to build another trailer just to carry the ramps. This is an expensive "hobby".  :steeringwheel:
Keystone Smooth.

KeystoneSmooth

I think it turned out pretty darn good. Note, only 1/2 of each tire is actually getting tread on the drive over fenders, so the grate was ever more necessary. Dent is a result of not having traction.
Keystone Smooth.

taz_man440

That is he reason I went from wood driver on fenders to rebar drive over fenders.  Almost anything solid is gonna be slick when wet.  Another thing is when you paint it, throw some sand in the paint for traction..
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

KeystoneSmooth

We did that on the first go round, and it definitely worked, but then quickly turned in to a grinding wheel if it ever lost traction. If those grates and the longer ramps don't do it then that is a real problem.
Keystone Smooth.

KeystoneSmooth

The grate on the drive overs works perfectly. The way we cut it, the "grain" switches in the middle there is traction going both directions.  :13:
Keystone Smooth.

KeystoneSmooth

Finally got the last board hammered and secured into place and another coat of deck repair on the boards.

One more ample dose of red and I think this one can go in the books. Maybe it will be dry by Hidden Falls.....maybe. This paint seems to take a month or so to fully dry. In fact, a small portion of red that got capped over as the surface dried is still goo-ey about 3 months later.
Keystone Smooth.

KeystoneSmooth

Boards coated for the last time.
Keystone Smooth.

KeystoneSmooth

Saw just a bit of cracking so I decided to throw another coat of the sealer on it. Decided since I had time to try Amazon. Was not disappointed, especially with the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Restore-46115-Concrete-Resurfacer-1-Gallon/dp/B00FCA8P0U?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
Keystone Smooth.