News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

75 PowerWagon rotor replacement

Started by SixGun, April 08, 2014, 11:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

PowerWagonPete

LMFAO Gunner!!!  He'll be lucky if that fix lasts 1000 miles...   :tard:
1978 W150 Power Wagon Custom
1978 AW100 Ramcharger Custom
1978 D150 Adventurer SE Club Cab

SixGun

If you are you thinking what I'm thinking, he should have gone through the whole deal.  If you're gonna go that far, you might as well complete the job.  I would have changed both bearings, both seals, pack new fresh synthetic grease. I like the video because it takes the mystery out of taking these full times apart. Especially separating the rotor from the hub. A lot of guys refuse to invest in manuals or correct tools. It is still doable.

:hello:

PowerWagonPete

Yeah Gunner, first of all, he should've never used semi-metallic brake pads or he wouldn't have had to change out that rotor to begin with.  I use composites and still have the original rotors on my '78.   :)

Second, the entire bearing set must be replaced even if just one component of it gets messed up.  They are matched sets and the stack should be installed exactly how they are packaged in the box.

Third, that spindle nut should never, ever be backed off.  Those are torqued to a minimum of 100 ft.-lbs. and further tightened until the slots line up with the hole in the axle end.

What a 'tard...  LOL   :tard: :tard:

And BTW, don't use those orange seals.  The factory green ones (SKF/Chicago Rawhide) are thicker and stay lodged in the steering knuckle and bearing cap bores much better.   ;D
1978 W150 Power Wagon Custom
1978 AW100 Ramcharger Custom
1978 D150 Adventurer SE Club Cab

SixGun

I noticed that spindle nut goof.  I remember having a long breaker bar and long cheater pipe and still not budging the nut.  Took lots of penetrating fluid and impact to get it to budge.  I've always read to torque and then continue to tighten to line up holes. That was a red flag when I saw it.  I never had to assemble mine since I did the knuckles out swap on mine to get the 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

That's why they give you lifetime warranty on semi-metallics.  Figure they will sell you rotors eventually. Those suckers overheat, squeal and don't grab like composites.

Thanks for the insight Pete.   :icon_salut: