News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

crazzywolfie's 89RC

Started by crazzywolfie, August 21, 2016, 02:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

other than the installing new ball joints and getting the spindle off, everything else went fairly smooth. that ball joint press popped the old joints out like nothing but it was a fight to get the new ones in.  i am pretty happy with it other than the old calipers looks like crap compared to all my freshly painted parts. that may change soon tho since i think the caliper on the side that i was fixing might have seize up or crapped out. going to try tossing some brand new pads on to see if it makes a difference but i am not going to hold my breath.

crazzywolfie

i haven't done too much to this thing lately due to the weather but i did end up replacing the power window motor a while back. what a pain in the ass job to do. also a couple weeks back the stores had a killer deal on a 10,000lb winch and i pick one up. i was possibly thinking about doing something similar to what Richard did with his 91 but we will see. i have also considered using a hitch mounted winch setup but i guess we will see. i know the hitch mounted option will be pretty expensive but it would be nicer option to have.

SixGun

Nice, you might want to consider synthetic rope with a receiver mounted winch.  It will cut a lot of weight. 
When you add the weight of a a receiver, cradle mount plate, winch and steel cable it quickly can become a 2 man job.
You will also need to install some quick disconnects front and rear. Post some pics when you get it done.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

i was thinking about switching but we will see. even just the winch alone is pretty heavy heavy. i am hoping to score some welding wire and quick connects off my buddy. he ends up with scrap welding wire every so often. i would just need to go through the wire and find a couple good peices that are long enough. i will definitely post some pics when done but i will likely have to wait. i have run out of good whether for the year

SixGun

I may not have the extreme weather that you have but no garage space means working outside in the elements. It sucks sometimes because I have so many things I want to do.  Noah has been great about letting me use a bay at his shop but it's a lil bit of a drive. Not a bad drive but my wife relies on me for a ride since she doesn't drive. That eliminates all the bad weather days. Oh well, I wouldn't trade her for the world.

crazzywolfie

ya the extreme weather here sucks. i really wish i had a garage. even if it wasn't heated it would still be nice just so that i wouldn't have to pick up all my tools and crap when i decide to call it a day. been doing snowblower repairs for the last 2 days and i am feeling it. i really hate the cold. yesterday we had such a bad storm that you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you. was definitely scary to be driving.

crazzywolfie

been getting pretty lucky around here lately. have had some strange weather but not too bad. been driving this thing over the last week and it didn't take long to realize the heat sucked. i think i might have found my issue. there was at least 3 mice or rats in the coolant reservoir. cleaned that out and flushed the heater core with some vinegar and compressed air. so far it is blowing way better heat. almost can't wait till summer comes around to start doing some serious work to this thing. i have also been pretty busy fixing my 93 and 81 but the weather has been pretty decent  so it has not been too bad working on things. i think i got enough fixed that i shouldn't have anything else break this winter.

SixGun

Poor Mickey and Minnie got drownded...Lol

crazzywolfie

lol. that is what they get for taking a bath in my coolant reservoir lol

crazzywolfie

well i wasn't quite expecting it but came accross a pretty good deal on tires the other day. they are used but looks to be in very good shape other than 1 having a plug in it. i figure i can get that fixed when getting them mounted. when i seen them posted i thought there might have been a mistake in the price since the person had them so cheap but i guess i will find out once i get them mounted and start using them. they are just 31x10.5 which is smaller than the 33's that were on it  but it should fix the speedo. it is still setup for 31's.

crazzywolfie

well i haven't done anything to it lately other than shuffle it around but have made some decisions about paint. thinking about giving it a 70's paint scheme similar to the picture that i attached. i don't plan on painting power wagon on it or that yellow stripe straight along the bottom like in the picture but i do plan on following the body line and painting above the wheels black and pinstriping yellow to match the rims. i think it will look cool especially since you don't really see any cool paint schemes on anything anymore. even when i was looking at 80/90's ramchargers most of the time they are just a basic 2 tone. nothing really cool. i am also possibly thinking about building a roof rack to put on it so that i have a place to mount some of the horns i recently picked up. i think they would look cool up where you could see them kind of like a big rig with their air horns. these have a air horn look to them but are electric.

SixGun

I like the paint scheme idea.  Looking at the old Macho Power Wagons was the inspiration for me.  The old school paint schemes and graphics were so much cooler but show us a pic of yours.  It looks very different with that small view of the tail end.

Can you post a video for the sound of those horns.  They look pretty cool.

crazzywolfie

ya your truck is part of the reason i wanted to paint it like this. i figure since i plan on keeping this forever and using it as a summer toy only minus well go all out on it and choose a cool paint job. i was originally thinking about keeping it the metalic blue that was on the 1 side but figure it would be pretty plain and no character if i did. at least the Macho wagon look would look good. it would also make the vehicle draw in attention everywhere it goes.

some of the horns still need some tuning/repair but this is about what i got done now. i even had my dads 1 horn over for testing/tuning. i am definitely starting to understand these horns pretty good. no expert but ahead of most. there is almost no info at all on the web for them other than people just selling them.
here is a video of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6vrgDGfe_c

SixGun

Thanks, I wish I could afford to give it some real paint instead of rattle can. I've been thinking about doing one of those Rustoleum roll on paint jobs.

I bought an unusual older horn at the JY but it must be rusted inside.  I have to rap on it to get it to work a few times.  It sounds good like a larger commercial truck but not a big rig.  If I could figure out how to keep it working all the time, it would be awesome.  I wonder if there are horn repair places.  It only cost me $5 so not a lot invested. Not at home or I would post a pic.

crazzywolfie

well i am not going to go that all out on it. i was thinking about trying to spray it myself first and see how it comes out. someone did offer me a paint booth to use but we will see

i think i might remember seeing you post a picture or mentioning it but don't remember. sometimes horns are not too hard too fix on your own. just have to determine what the issue is. if they are horns like what i have it might just need the points cleaned or just be adjusted so that there is a gap between the points when the electromagnet starts pulling the metal plate. if the horn is old enough or more like an ooga horn it could possibly have a weak or bad motor. i had to replace the motor in my ooga horn when i got it to make it work reliably. i think it might have had a bad winding in it or something because it would work on and off.