News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

TC stall speed, gears, tire size

Started by cullenosborne, September 20, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cullenosborne

Well the 727 finally had her last shift on a trail the other night so I'm looking to rebuild it. Buying individual parts like shift kit, deep pan, secondary trans cooler, and a torque converter. I have a rebuilt 360 V8 that is pretty much factory spec, 3.55 gears, and 35 inch BFG mud terrains. I plan on regearing to 4.10s around tax season but I am confused as to what a good torque converter stall would be for the truck. I use her off road a lot but then take her home to drive her to work on Monday. 10 minute drive so not bad but I do take the highway to go wheeling and would like to have better road worthiness and handle well off-road. I'm getting the transgo TF2 shift kit just really confused on what stall speed I should have since ive never dealt with that. Any advice would be really appreciated thank you guys in advance.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

would rather push my ramcharger than drive a bronco

SixGun

Since you are looking for driveability and Offroad capability, I would keep it at or near stock. 
Offroad crawling is usually low speed driving.
The purpose of the stall converter is to put you into the power band that your engine was built for. 
Since yours is stock, you wouldn't benefit from a high stall converter. 
Not only that but a high stall adds a lot of heat.  Heat is definitely a trans killer and you should be running a trans cooler no matter what.  If you just want a little more  pep, consider a low stall holeshot type converter. It can give you like another 500 rpm stall. A little more jump off the line but still able to take advantage of your low speed torque when offroad.

There's a lot of good reads out there with a little searching.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/0710or-torque-converter-t
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

cullenosborne

Thanks a lot six-gun I really appreciate the input man!

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

would rather push my ramcharger than drive a bronco