News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

Air and Heat

Started by cullenosborne, October 15, 2016, 07:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cullenosborne

Well gentlemen, Its starting to get cold in the mornings in georgia and over the country and my ramcharger's heat is not cutting it. Only the window defroster vents seem to be working but it might just be coming from the motor. Does anybody know of how I can give my whole air and Heat system a nice tune up? I don't mind rolling the windows down when it's hot but it'd be cool to have an old truck with AC. Any input will help. Thanks guys

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

would rather push my ramcharger than drive a bronco

cullenosborne

Well gentlemen, Its starting to get cold in the mornings in georgia and over the country and my ramcharger's heat is not cutting it. Only the window defroster vents seem to be working but it might just be coming from the motor. Does anybody know of how I can give my whole air and Heat system a nice tune up? I don't mind rolling the windows down when it's hot but it'd be cool to have an old truck with AC. Any input will help. Thanks guys

SixGun

As far as air flow, the heater box can be clogged with leaves/debris. They can be a pain to remove or a cut out can be made to clean it out.  You can find some YouTube videos to give you ideas.  Another area that can affect air flow is the cowl where it goes down to the entrance of the heater box. Same thing, it can get jammed up with debris. Check your vacuum source and
hoses that work your heater box. Those open and close the ducts.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

its not fun, but the foam inside is prob all gone. that requires taking the dash out (which means taking the windshield out) and rebuilding the heater core box.

The other thing is that this is vacuum controlled, and you need to check all the vacuum lines under the hood and under the dash.

do you have a factory service manual?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

cullenosborne

I've got the old Haynes manual which helps a lot. The windshield has a big crack in it so I need to replace that anyways. Do the vacuum hoses run off the carb or somewhere else?

crazzywolfie

are you talking about the heat option on the control panel? when you have it in that setting it don't put out very good heat? on the heat setting it pumps air to the windshield and floor. i know i have always found it a bit strange but i guess it isn't a new vehicle.

cullenosborne

Quote from: crazzywolfie on October 18, 2016, 07:02:29 PM
are you talking about the heat option on the control panel? when you have it in that setting it don't put out very good heat? on the heat setting it pumps air to the windshield and floor. i know i have always found it a bit strange but i guess it isn't a new vehicle.
Ya only the heat on the windshield vents seems to be functional. Any other setting it doesn't do anything.

rjtx667

All my trucks are fuel injected so can't as on the carb models....but it will be a vacuum line off the intake somewhere.

And just for reference the Haynes manual is like the 10k foot view of your truck, the factory service manual is the 2" view.

Gives way more details and very helpful. I never work on a vehicle anymore without a factory service manual.

But back to your issue, if you are only getting defrost vents then your vacuum control going to your climate controls is broke, or your climate controls are broke.

Easiest way is to start where you know there should be vacuum under the hood and if it is there, then remove the climate controls and check vacuum there. You have a leak somewhere.

Fix it and then it will work right, and I bet the engine will run a bit better too.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

ryan

Merged your 2 topics since they were the same.

crazzywolfie

Quote from: cullenosborne on October 18, 2016, 07:20:14 PM
Ya only the heat on the windshield vents seems to be functional. Any other setting it doesn't do anything.

i would start by checking the vacuum line under the hood. it enters the cab by the heater hoses and runs to the same vacuum tree as the brake booster.

taz_man440

just FYI, you can remove the dash without removing the windshield.  You have to pry up the windshield rubber and find the screw heads. After finding them you use a chisel point on an exacto knife & just notch the rubber. ive done that a few times with great success..
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

cullenosborne

Thank you guys for all the input I'm going to get cracking on all of this real soon. Starting by getting the factory service manual for my truck and then taking yalls suggestions. I'll let y'all know how it comes a long.