News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

All good thoughts.  I had to order a ball joint socket from Summit.  No one locally had one in stock.  I tried to use my infamous pipe wrench but couldn't get a grip with the lip around the control arm in the way.  Should be here in a few days.  I really do need those gears for the speedo for sure.  Too many questions and afraid mostly of running outta gas.  That's why I keep it loaded with burritos.  LOL

The gears are 3.55 and tires I am using right now are 31's.  I was thinking that the early 2-3 upshift was keeping the power band lower.  I'll play with it on Tuesday and hopefully get some good results. 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

if your afraid of running out of gas shouldn't you fix the gas gauge? :icon_scratch:

rjtx667

1-2.74
2-1.54
3-1.00

that should be the gears (or close to it, I will try to verify tonight).

You will need to measure your tires as being "31's" does not mean much my BFG 31's are actually 29.5 give or take.

Soooo going with a guestimate of 29.5" tall tires, 3.55 final ratio (with a 518a its .69 * 3.55 instead of 1.00 * 3.55) and you doing 3k RPM that means your doing 74 MPH.

At 70 you should be doing 2830 RPM.

If you replaced it with a 518a you would be doing 1953 RPM at 70 and 2065 at 74. The issue is the 3.55 gears will then become inadequate with overdrive (ask how I know) but 3.92 gears.. now those are nice with the 518a/ 46RH/E

Just for reference with 3.92 gears instead of 3.55 gears you are doing 2153 at 70 and 2276 at 74.  :steeringwheel: :13:

it does not change the RPM's all that much, but oh man how it makes a difference
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

taz_man440

How many teeth do you need for the spedo gear? I have a few gears if thats all you need..
2006 Dodge quad cab - Cool Vanilla
2012 Durango w/ HEMI
1982 Ramcharger project

SixGun

My bad, not the speedo but the odometer.  Must have been a lil sleepy.   :sleepy:  I've been afraid pulling that thing apart to replace the plastic gears.   

As for the gas gauge, I pulled an extra harness from the JY to try to bypass my wiring and see if I can get the gauge to work.  Hoping that's the case.  Really don't want to pull the gas tank back out.  The first time was a bitch.  I may just remove the bed instead if it comes to that.

SixGun

:thumbsup:  2-3 upshift is working now.  Thanks Mat!!

The secretiveRED BRICK arrived this afternoon. 

I had to go get a 9v to run it and it turned into a shopping spree for Yolanda.  Didn't get back until dark but did get my info put in.  Do you have to hold the button down to use it?  I'm gonna search the net for some instructions. 

crazzywolfie

your welcome but you should be thanking Ryan. he mentioned it first. i just re mentioned it in agreement with him.

SixGun

As always thanks EVERYONE for your help.  Especially you Ryan!   :notworthy:

I did measure the height of the tires while out there in the cold this morning -  29.5" front and 30" back.

rjtx667

if its not connected to the truck battery, yes you have to press and hold the button.

There should be a power plug that goes into the side of the wire harness plug, and that connects to the battery (it does not seem to care which side is pos or neg). When you connect that it will stay on.

I usually opened the vent window and ran the cable through there so I could close the door and drive around.

I was shocked what all data these "primitive computers" have at their disposal, really makes you wonder what the ones have lol.

Have fun with it. I will give you my fedex account when your done and you can ship it back up here  so I can play with it on the 2000 when the 408 arrives. The magnum's you have to have one of these little suckers to set the dizzy. The dizzy does not control time but fuel sync, and it can really mess with you if you don't have a computer to help you out. The dodge house is like $100 to set it :tard:  this thing cost me $300 and I have already set 1 dizzy with it, will set 2 more this year and have used it multiple times on trouble shooting. Well worth it.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Alright, it is running good.  Red Brick is showing all is well.  Did you want me to ship it back or take it to the meet?

It will do a smokey burnout now.  Definately can't complain about that.  I think that larger diameter pipe at least or duals are gonna be in the future. WOT is compromised right now at higher rpms.  Maybe a 180* t-stat also.  Right now it is a 195*.  Otherwise, she's ready to go as is.

rjtx667

Glad to hear its doing better... had me worried for a while.

Also nice to know it can burn out, it was not able to do that with the weight of the ramchager in the back.

Wonder if the extra power is going to help or hurt you on the hills  :icon_scratch:  we will find out soon

How is it doing on gas so far?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I've only gone through about 1/4 tank but it's safe to say it's a bit thirsty.   :laughing7:

rjtx667

well if you have a heavy foot of course it is  :laughing7:

now we need to get your cruise and ac working, then you will really be set
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

Got the red brick in today.

Thanks for getting it back up here... Glad it was able to help everyone, or some as I think it was.

Once I get the 2000 and the dakota back in shape I will be happy to lend it out again to whoever needs. Amazing enough it even works on ferds  :tard:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

:035:  Finally bought myself an air compressor.  Hope I didn't overkill it but it had some really good reviews and I trust the brand.  I still need to shop around for accessories though.  I'm considering the impact and air hose from Summit.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100497924?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100497924&R=100497924

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gns-25821

Yolanda wants to get a sander and spray gun for painting the RC this summer.  Hmmm... I've seen her use crayons and can't stay in the lines.  But if she wants to buy them, I'll give her a shot.  Looks like I'll have to mask it though.   :laughing7: