News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

Man I hate when that happens.

I have been there on the 2000, I still have lots of "little" issues that are going to be a pain to fix

Its real painful when its .5 steps forward and 10 steps backwards  :angry5:

be patient and you can work through it, your making progress
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Not as easy as I thought to find that quick disconnect.  The ones at the parts stores have the line attached and want big bucks for them.  I did see some viton o-ring kits though.  Hmmm... seems like a lot of work with those lil boogers and a pick.  Gonna try NAPA but they are closed more than open here.  They make banker's hours look like a long day.
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

you looking for the hose or the chip?

I think I have a spare hose but not sure on the clips... but those should be a dealer item as they were used on all magnum's and TBI's
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I have 2 different types of connectors on the top of the fuel pump.  The "in" line (return) uses the steel connector in the 1st pic.  The "out" line to the fuel pump is the problem one and it is plastic with a C-clip to hold it in place.  It looks line a Ford connector in the 2nd pic with a female side of 3/8" and male side of 5/16" connects to a rubber fuel line about 6" long . It looks okay but the only thing that I can think it may be is the very small O-rings on the inside with a spacer like in the 3rd pic.  I'm not even sure if they are supposed to be different and someone changed them at some time.

rjtx667

let me try to look tonight, I might have that little plastic hose... the clips ?  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

I went to NAPA and we searched a catalog but could not find what I needed so I opted for the viton seals.  Took a little while but got them out and replaced them.  Just for comparison purposes only,  LOL, the 2 seals I removed looked like a pair of underwear that had been worn all day - real loose compared to the new fresh ones.  I've had company all week and through the weekend as well as work,  so I'll put it on first chance I get.  My wife has been trying to keep me clean for company.  Guess she doesn't appreciate the smell of gasoline like I do.  :)

rjtx667

what it is with them and not liking that smell?  :dontknow:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

i prefer the smell of gas mixed with 2 stroke motor oil. not a big fan of the smell of straight gas but then again that could be because i leak bit every time i fill up the ramcharger.

glad you should hopefully be getting the adapter thing fixed. i know i would have probably lost all patience by now and tried using rubber line and hose clamps.

SixGun

3/8" to 5/16" probably could have but rather do it right.  It was only $8 for 4 seals, 2 each 5/16" and 2 each 3/8".  Hopefully this will last another 20 years.

Random question but "IF" the charcoal cannister is letting crud through to the TBI could that stuff get sucked back into the gas tank via the return line or does it go through the idle bleed holes right down the butterflys into the manifold?

rjtx667

thats a question I am not sure on. My FSM would say for the magnum, but not sure how it would work on TBI.  :dontknow: :icon_scratch:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

i am not sure how the how the charcoal canister failing would effect a TBI system. i am not even sure how the heck charcoal get in the float bowl of a carb when they fail. if you think yours is failing you could buy one of those clear fuel filter and install it in the charcoal canister line.

SixGun

Yeah, I was reading the confirmed fixes on RCC and saw about the crud getting sucked into the Carbs and/or TBI's.  I saw about the filters installed inline to stop it from reaching the carb/tbi and it would be easier to clean and change out.  I had cleaned out the TBI that came with the 5.2 motor before installing it.  It has crud in the front vacuum diaphram.  The only 2 lines not plugged were the cannister purge and map sensor hose.  I have the air pump diverter and heated air inlet capped.  This was full of junk with about 3 months driving.  I've got to sneak in some time today to do the fuel line and check out the cannister.  The proof is in the pudding.  If it's clean then that's not it.  Question is if the filter is replaceable or just remove it?

crazzywolfie

i am not sure if the filter is replaceable :icon_scratch:? rockauto lists a Vapor Canister Filter but not sure how you would change it. i have been thinking about spending the $5 on a clear fuel filter to put on my charcoal canister line just to be safe. it would be the same as putting a air filter on my pcv line just to keep the amount of oil my ramcharger burns down to a minimum.

SixGun

Well, I tried to push the "old" connector with the new viton seals onto the fuel pump and it would not go on.  Tried to spin it a little to twist it on and it no workie.  Hmmm.... I looked inside the connector and it was torn.   Crappy little boogers.  So I took the old pump to test fit anything I bought, a pick, tweezers, a ruler, the rubber fuel line and connector, package and receipt all back to NAPA.  I figured that I'm not leaving without a working fit. 

There was a new lady working today, kinda butch, super knowledgeable and helpful.  Told me that no plastic connector should go on the pump.  Had to be metal and even test fit a 3/8" connector.  Fit like a glove but, "How do I get it connected to a 5/16" line?", says me.  She told me to let it sit in hot water but make sure it's completely dry or just let it sit in the hot sun for awhile.  The 3/8" connector is a little different than the 5/16 in that it is stepped.  I left it in the hot sun for an hour, it's only at 100* today, and was able to squeeze it past the first step and clamped it down just past the flared tip.  Seems to hold and doesn't leak.  Still runs a little rough so hope some fresh gas and running for a while clears it up.  BTW, got the money back on the torn viton seals too and didn't get covered in gasoline. 

Now to try and figure out the charcoal cannister issue.

SixGun

Well, I played with the vapor cannister a bit.  Took it out and it is just like a giant pepper shaker.  Little nuggets of charcoal crumbs.  I wasn't able to remove the screw on lid on the bottom but I did shake out quite a bit.  Man does that crap stink - kinda sour & sweet like death.  Left about half of it and changed my mind about emptying the whole thing.  I put my used fuel filter to good use by running it inline and tucked behind the cannister.  Hopefully this will filter the line to the TBI. 

I also removed the O2 sensor and cleaned the carbon buildup on it with carb cleaner and wire brush.  Remember it is very new.  I rechecked the spark plugs outta curiousity and they are fouled again.  I used an old trick that my Dad's mechanic used to tell me to clean out the cylinders.  He sprinkled water into the carb and supposedly the steam would clean the combustion chamber.  Sent a bit of black smoke out so if it was working or not, I don't know for sure.  However, my new plugs need some cleaning. All sooted up. Gotta get another can of carb cleaner.

I feel like the dog chasing his tail....  :(