News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

Glad to hear you got time. Hopefully you get it back together and working with time to spare so you can work on the ramcharger.

You can check out my rough country springs I put in back when we get to RJ... Granted I did the opposite of you, I got whole new rear springs from them and got different springs on the front but it works good.

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Just a few setbacks. I was putting the belts back on today and noticed they were dry rotted so I had to pick up 3 new ones. Even my back up set from the V6 were cracked as well. 

When I was putting the fan and clutch back on, I noticed fluid leaking on the fan clutch stem.  Last thing I need is the fan clutch to go out and tear up the new radiator.  So I dug out the old one in my storage shed from the V6.

When I pulled the timing chain cover, I blew the water out with compressed air, quite a bit leaked into the oil pan.  Luckily, I checked it first and drained the water out and then blew it out with compressed air.

I also pulled the overflow tank to clean it out.  Tried to work in the dark but the mosquitoes from the recent rain were eating me alive so I gave up.  Tomorrow just tighten the crank bolt, trans to engine brackets, starter and transmission shield.  Then fill fluids and wa-la ... I'm done hopefully.   :035:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

well I was going for a fingers crossed smilie but could not find one, so just go with  :steeringwheel: instead.

keep us updated.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Seems to be running fine.  No leaks. Had to adjust timing a couple of degrees and get more fluids yesterday.  Packing up some stuff today and true test will be this trip.  Got my fingers crossed.

rjtx667

1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Well, I just noticed that I never mentioned how the truck ran going to RJ.  On the 2 hour trip there we had to fill up twice.  Seriously drinking gas running real rich still.  We made it there on our own power but obviously not ideal.  When we arrived, out of three trucks in our group there 2 were already broken down getting worked on.  I figured I better start on mine as well with super mechanic, Ernest, to confer with.  LOL

On the way, I stopped at AutoZone to pick up some extra spark plugs and a tester.  It felt like it was missing at cruising speed.    Took some time to get to speed and full throttle and cruising at 70 it seemed fine.  Picked up some throttle body cleaner also.  So at Hidden Falls I got started.  Changed all the new plugs again and they were fouled out.  Pulled the O2 sensor and it was fouled out.  Since I didn't pick up an extra sensor - it's fairly new, I figured on cleaning it.  TB cleaner and wire brush and I noticed carbon coming out of the slits in the sensor.  Then I started noticing white flecks of porcelin.  It was shot obviously.  Ernest was going to town for some adult refreshments and we tagged along.  Stopped at O'Reilly and picked up another O2, the same brand was all they had in stock and it was $57 - ugggh.  Got back and put it in and it started right up. Pulled over to the cabin and it wouldn't restart.  Didn't get a chance for Ernest to mess with it until next morning.  With some starting fluid it restarted and went for a test drive.  Seemed okay and went the rest of the weekend without a hitch and on the way home it only took a half tank.  Not bad. 

Well the best part of the story was that I was able to take the "old" O2 back to O'Reilly and get my money back with the "new" receipt.  Now that's good customer service.    :13:

crazzywolfie

lol. i have been told it is impossible to clean an o2 sensor. it also sounds like you might have found out why but then again it sounds like your o2 sensor was bad before you left.

SixGun

Well we have been unindated with rain for the last 2 weeks or so.  Today there was a sudden burst of heavy rain that literally flooded the street in front of the house.  We have a storm drainage ditch next to our house and it was flooded out.  I grabbed the keys and took the Ram for a swim.  Did a water burnout and down to the end of the street and back through it again.  My son was out front this time after hearing the first one.  Held the brake and spun the tires in the driveway.  I shut it down and got out.  My son and I were laughing our heads off and I turn around to see a Sheriff SUV drive on by.  Whew that was a close one.... dodged that bullet.  No pun intended .... ;)

crazzywolfie

i guess one of your neighbors does not like the fact that you are able to do burnouts on flooded streets and they can't. lol. we have had similar weather up here today and i have been doing similar things. every time i have fired up my truck and left the drive way i would usually spin the tires on the nice wet pavement. nothing to big but just enough to make a bit of noise.

rjtx667

sounds like you had a lot of fun... and that its still running good.  :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Here's some posts from another forum when I did the 2" lift back in 2011.
Unfortunately, the pics didn't come out as I copied it.  Oh well...

2WD 2" Lift

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1991 Dodge D150 2WD 2" Lift on front and back.

I purchased the Rancho add-a-leaf for the back. Advertised a 1-2" lift. Came with nice rubber pads on the leaf ends. Install was pretty straight forward without any hitches. Corrosion was present and had to use Blaster PB Penetrating Catalyst which is way better than WD-40 IMHO. Started soaking about 2 days prior. Kit recommends new U-bolts which I purchased from ATS. You really need to since the factory U-bolt is not long enough. Direct fit no problems. Hardest part was removing the spring eye bolt on the gas tank side. It was butted up against the tank. Hard to push out and push in. I dabbed in between the leaves and pads with grease. I should have taken before measurements but forgot to. Afterwards, the gap between the top of the tire and the lip of the fender was 8". Running Uniroyal Liberator A/T P235/75R-15's .

Here's some links:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/add-...p-39l-239-cid/

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/c..._Kits-2-1.html

The front was done with Coil Spring Specialties 2" lift coils. I called and talked with a tech and he recommended 15% articulation (flexibility) in the springs and I guestimated at adding 300 lbs to the front for extended bumper, light bar and lights, plus a front 2" hitch mount. All future projects. Custom springs took about a month to arrive. I used AutoZone's free rental for a coil spring compresser. Just left a deposit. I re-used the original insulator pads. A little tough getting in the first spring until I tried compressing the spring first about 2" (original size) and placing a bar to keep the lower control arm extended down. Second one was a breeze. The hardest part by far which would have been easier with a second person was reconnecting the strut arm brace. Getting it to line back up was a job for a contorsionist esp. since I was doing it alone. I took a spare longer thinner bolt to get it close and a crow bar against a pipe used as a lever. Popped my knuckles and my face a few times. Definately use gloves and safety goggles. That was where a second set of hands would have helped so I wouldn't have to let one hand off the crow bar to place the bolt. Once again, Blaster PB was a must! I had to remove shocks, strut brace, lower ball joint, brake caliper, and sway bar endlinks. Really not too bad overall compared to the end result. Before the lift, spacing between the top of the tire and fender lip was 4" and after was 7.5".

Heres some links:

http://www.coilsprings.com/

If money is an issue, here's a cheaper place that I have heard good reviews on also.

http://www.eatonsprings.com/coil.htm

The stance looks a lot better and it def. looks taller esp. next to my Toyota. LOL
My wife and I took it for a little ride in the dirt for some pics and help settle the springs before getting a front end alignment done.

09-02-2011, 01:56 PM    #2 
psycobilly64
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man that makes a huge difference in the way the truck looks! I like how it leveled it out and gave it a more aggressive stance.

89 Dodge Ramcharger
318, auto, 4x4
101k actual miles

If you're gonna die, DIE WITH YOUR BOOTS ON!!
Bruce Dickenson, Iron Maiden
Ram Enthusiast Club member #02
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1105946786

09-02-2011, 02:15 PM    #3 
DarkriderSE

Man that turned out awesome!!!
Project car: 1994 Integra RS aka "Vegas" Project Truck: 1981 Dodge Ram 150 Custom SE aka "Son of Thunder" 1969 GMC Custom "Black Knight" 2 wheel fun: 1985 Honda Interceptor 750 aka "Mad Max" 1988 Honda CBR 600 Hurricane 

09-02-2011, 06:59 PM    #4 
crazzywolfie

looks good but man that is one heck of a hole above the windshield. looks identical to my 91. it must be a 91 thing.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 570CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
91 dodge d150 short box 318 2 barrel carb

09-02-2011, 11:43 PM    #5 
SixGun
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone!!

Wolfie, thats 2 holes!! Twin air ducts for the jet engine. Yaaa right!!

I've got some real good pics of those holes waiting for the UTOM competition. My holes are bigger than your holes! Holy rust bucket Bat-Man. Okay, yes it needs some body work. When I bought it, there was a thick slab of Bondo all across the top of the windshield that wasn't even sanded down. Looked like a big thick tan uni-brow. LOL

Thinking about just cutting the top front piece off another RAM. Lots of em here. Or I could just fab something up.

09-03-2011, 08:18 PM    #6 
psycobilly64

Maybe a convertible Ram !

89 Dodge Ramcharger
318, auto, 4x4
101k actual miles

09-03-2011, 11:33 PM    #7 
82ram150

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycobilly64 
Maybe a convertible Ram !

Heck yeah I saw a convertible 89 cherokee once, well actually it had no body panels at all Just a redneck roll bar Ive got a whole bunch of pre runner 1st gens if you want me to post em for ideas. Looks pretty cool!

09-04-2011, 03:28 PM    #8 
SixGun

Yeah, post em up!

I actually considered the convertible type top with the back window in place and connected to the the front windshield with a roll-bar. Figured I could use a bikini type top tied off on it but the interior is not like a Jeep where it is more waterproof. I had also considered grafting a Jeep Liberty style top-mounted driving lights. They are too thin and angled down differently. It would have taken a lot of fabrication. Then I priced some used ones and they are a pretty penny and so I had second thoughts.

More recently bought a simple headache rack made of box tubing that follows the roof line real well but needs 2 mounting brackets welded on to line up right with the box sides. I cut the ugly torch job flat bar mounts off. I really want to use it as a light bar and so I bought 4 metal brackets to mount the lights. A little sanding and painting and then it's done. It only cost me $30.

09-04-2011, 03:42 PM    #9 
82ram150

Ok here are some 1st gen prerunner rams

Here is the rest of them, i dont wanna fill your thread with pics. lol

http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/a...ross17/dodges/

I think when im done with my 82 my next project will be a prerunner or a 4x4

09-04-2011, 03:47 PM    #10 
crazzywolfie

making one of these trucks into a convertible would be cool and might be in my 91's future. the ram charger that i am hoping to take parts off of is a convertible and i was planning on taking the whole roof and the metal around the windshield.

09-04-2011, 04:00 PM    #11 
SixGun

Those desert pics look like the Mojave Desert where I was stationed from 1989-92. Could also be Baja California.

I like those light bars and massive control arms. Any idea who builds those control arms?

i read an article on the one. ill try and find some details.

The first truck is Walker Evans, the second is Rod Halls. I cant find any specs. Evans sells shocks and wheels. Rod has a website that might be of some help

http://www.rodhallseriesdodge.com/home%20page.htm

His sight doesnt show anything for dodges. Looks like hes racing hummers and GM's now But here are a whole bunch of pics in the racing arcive section of his site.

http://www.rodhallracing.com/multimedia.html

09-04-2011, 08:08 PM    #14 
DarkriderSE

I wouldn't be surprised if the control arms on those trucks are simply beefed up stock arms from our trucks. That White truck with the black hood does give a great idea as to where Sixguns truck and my truck could end up looking like in the end.
Project car: 1994 Integra RS aka "Vegas" Project Truck: 1981 Dodge Ram 150 Custom SE aka "Son of Thunder" 1969 GMC Custom "Black Knight" 2 wheel fun: 1985 Honda Interceptor 750 aka "Mad Max" 1988 Honda CBR 600 Hurricane 

09-04-2011, 08:39 PM    #15 
82ram150

I think rod halls truck is about the same height as sixguns. At least close. I do like the baja fenders on walker evans ram in the last pic of the blue and white ram.

Dodge D150
Slant Six, 4 speed np435
Many many mods.

09-04-2011, 11:51 PM    #16 
SixGun

On that Walker Evans (Blu/wht ) jump shot, you can see the lower control arms and they are long and kinda wishbone shaped. Looks like something Fabtech would sell (but doesn't). Ya those fenders are way wider cause the control arms really extend far out there. Can you imagine the lift on those springs. Looks some kinda trailing arms also. That sucker has got to be all glass to make those big jumps.

Those are some nice pics - Thanks!!

09-04-2011, 11:55 PM    #17 
SixGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkriderSE 
I wouldn't be surprised if the control arms on those trucks are simply beefed up stock arms from our trucks. That White truck with the black hood does give a great idea as to where Sixguns truck and my truck could end up looking like in the end.

Did you notice he has no front bumper? Just a light bar. Lots of neat ideas.

SixGun

Here's some of the pics that were missing.

First is the original coil spring next to the Coil Spring Specialty one and then the Rancho add-a-leaf.

The next pics are of the truck before and after the lift was done.

SixGun

Here's the pics of the Rod Hall and Walker Evans prerunners.  Nice.... :headbang:

fal308

Remembered this thread after finding Rod Hall's FB page. A guy just bought his old '76 car. There are two pics of it https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rod-Hall-Racing/398841456878817?group_id=0

edited to add photos