News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Hmmm....converted Danger Dave's pics on FB to Picasa and now they load.

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

Ok well that didn't work.

SixGun

I've felt a sensor situation coming on for a while now and have been putting it off.  Driveability has turned kinda 2-footed until warmed up.  Been getting worse and days getting colder so I thought I better tackle this now.  Checked codes and surprised to see 3 that stand out. Map, temp, and O2.  Hopefully O2 is the result of the others since it is really pretty new. I know better than to chemical clean it NOW after the last failure.  So I'll concentrate on the other two.  I didn't realize that Map sensors were so pricey. Thanks to Rockauto, I was able to pick one up at a 1/3 the cost. Temp code says its too hot/cold out of range. Those are fairly cheap so no problem.  Also, noticed my upper molded hose leaking at the thermostat cover.  I have had the factory pinch clamps on there, so swapped them to screw clamps.  The more I look at it , I should go get a new hose. Its getting ballooned where it clamps. Its getting soft and deformed. No Ernest, the hose. Lol, gonna have to make a trip to the parts store tomorrow.

Tell you what, it was fricking cold at 50* and windy.  :confused2:  brrrrrr.....

rjtx667

so first question... what were you doing up at 3:30 am?

2nd - the factory clamp is what you want to leave on there... it does better at expanding and contracting with the house. the screw clamps don't give any.

Dodge's can be picky about after market sensors too.. they seem to normally like only OEM for some reason, so if you replace them and notice there are still issues or new issues.. that could be it.

Hopefully it all works out for ya
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Ha ha .... I've been going to work at 4am lately so I usually get up at 3am.

I was also contacted by my nephew this morning who is in the French Foreign Legion. He just finished up their version of basic training and wanted to let me know where he was getting stationed.

The map sensor was Standard Motor Parts and the coolant sensor is from NAPA.

SixGun

And again Napa is disappointing.  So I check online for prices and in stock. Napa supposedly has it and I can reserve it online. I tried 3 times and their login page freezes up. So I drive down there about 11am. They don't have the coolant sensor in stock. Typical Napa but it will take 3 days to get it in from across town. WTF, it is only 11am. For this inconvenience they are gonna charge me an extra dollar to deliver it from across town to this location. Not only that but the price is higher at the store than online.  It was a $3 difference.  I would have to reserve it online to get that price on their nonworking system.  Heck, I should have ordered online and had it shipped to my house. Would have cost about the same and saved me two trips to the store.

rjtx667

wow that is a huge pain

hopefully it fixes all your issues
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

don't you still got that 3.9 kicking around? wont it have the temp sensor you need sitting in it? also wouldn't it have a map sensor you could swap over to test? no need to spend all that money if you got spare parts sitting around.

rjtx667

I think he has already done that a little, but mostly he wants to keep that engine whole
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

i look at it as if it will get the truck running properly it is worth it. they are only sensors. it is not like it is push rods or connecting rods that you are pulling out of the engine.  if it don't get the truck running properly you know you need to look else ware for the issue.   

SixGun

I've robbed quite a bit in the past usually for testing, also stole some vacuum lines and tee's that were broken when I did the install. In fact I just took the hose clamps off it. Ended up getting a BWD coolant sensor for $5 online. Napa wanted $13 local +$1deliver to store and 3 day wait.

Ryan is right, I've been trying to keep the 3.9 complete but .... :laughing7:.

crazzywolfie

i know your tying to keep it complete since you have said it in the past but i don't see a point in just sitting on a engine if you can't take parts off it. whats the chances of you putting a 3.9 back in anything? i know it would probably make a great go kart engine but where would you park it? your driveways has got to be getting pretty full. i would also figure your plate is pretty full with 3 projects on the go.

SixGun

Go-cart????  :laughing7:

Hey, just got back home from watching the WWII flick "Fury" with Brad Pitt. Pretty awesome.  A little gory and definately intense. 
Two thumbs up  :13:

FURY - Official Trailer - In Theaters NOW!: http://youtu.be/q94n3eWOWXM

crazzywolfie

what else is a old v6 good for? :dontknow: :evil6:

when i originally saw the commercials for that movie i thought they were making an inglorious bastards 2.

SixGun

You can tell that they were trying to show the horror of war. It reminded me of watching the opening scene of "Saving Private Ryan". I was surprised that Yolanda really liked it , even with all the gore.

There is an opportunity for a catch phrase in the movie. When times get scketchy, Brad Pitt, the old Sgt. blurts out, " I love this job!" And the others chime in with, "Best job I ever had!" 

It reminded me of my Sgt when he would randomly say, "Pray for war.". :PDT_Armataz_01_37: