News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixGun

Here's a pic of the bent spring.  The top one is the bad one.  You have to expand the pic. It's on the RH side.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd489/DodgeSixGun/random002.jpg[/img]]

After putting it back together, the e-brake no workie.  No tension on it and the foot pedal doesn't kick up.  I look under the truck and see the front cable is just hanging there limp with no tension.  The ratio lever, which is the pivot that swings back and forth to keep tension on the front cable to the 2 back cables, is stuck.  I used some PB blaster and a BFH to loosen it.  After a brief discussion with the heavy end of my hammer, the pivot gave us the ghost and tension was restored.  I think that the water and dirt from HF water excursion crudded it up.  This may have kept some tension causing the shoes to heat up and thus the burning smell.  Hard to tell which one or both was the problem.  Going for a cruise tonight and hope for the best.

On a sidenote, I had Yolanda in the driver's seat and she had to ask which one is the brake.   Errrr..... you wanna know why she doesn't drive.   :nono:
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

rjtx667

yeah that spring looks bad.

Good luck on the test drive.

and that just means you need to teach her how to drive more often. What better place than out on the trails  :evil6:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Well the test drive went good.  No burnt smell anymore.  Yee haw

SixGun

Went to pic-n-pull today for the Y pipe and found one from a 96 Ram 1500.  I really had to search quite a few trucks for this one but got lucky.  The pipes were all cut before the Y if they even had exhaust pipes or motors for that matter.  The one exception was this one and fortunately someone had torched it after the 02 sensor.  4 bolts and it was done and they were not even rusted on.  Unfortunately,  I came out from under the truck too fast and whacked my head on a sharp corner of the body.  Really deep gouge and blood just came oozing down the side of my head.  Yolanda was there and jumped into action stopping the bleeding.  She swears I need stitches but naaaaa...  it stopped bleeding anyways.  I figure how deep can it be?  My skull is just beneath the skin.   :laughing7:  It gave me one mean headache though.   :crybaby2: 

Anyways, here's the y pipe I picked up.  Good thing is that I only paid $18.   :thumbsup:  I don't expect I'll have any clearance problems with the cab with the body lift.

crazzywolfie

not bad for $18 but still think you need to keep your eyes open for a stock y-pipe off a 92 or 93. i think it would flow a bit better than that especially with the 3"pipe.

SixGun

You know, I didn't even think about that.  There were no 92/93 Mag motors though.  My exhaust is only 2" for the 3.9 and after measuring the Y pipe it is the same.  This was from a 96 5.2 motor.  Well I'll keep an eye open for a set in case I ever go duals.  My exhaust is new from the cat back so I don't want to get rid of it.  It has the high flow Magnaflow cat and Thrush welded muffler.

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/sounds/madhot.html

crazzywolfie

i know but i still think the 92/93 would flow better even if you had to use an adapter. i really need to slide under my ram charger to get a picture. they pretty much use the 3" pipe as a collector instead of just Teeing the one pipe into the other.

rjtx667

I had one on my 92, I don't remember 3" pipes  :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

I cut it up and threw it away  :-\
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Y oh Y did you do that.   :laughing4:

crazzywolfie

:icon_scratch: maybe it is a Canadian thing. lol. mine is 3" from the y to just after the cat. then it shrinks down to 2" or 2 1/2". from what i see on summit they have 1 cat for a 92/93 ramcharger that has 3" in and out. i think you could possibly even find the y-pipe on 92/93 dakota's
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-39009/all/year/1993/make/dodge/model/ramcharger

SixGun

I pulled the V6 today.   :crybaby2:

I had to drop the Ram down to pull the motor.  The wind was blowing like crazy and gave me hell taking the hood off by myself.  I tried to pull the motor uphill by myself and it was tough.  The hoist kept rolling forward.  Luckily my son came home and helped me pull it out and put it in the garage.  The V6 looks small compared to the 5.2 but the pics don't really show it.  I planned to leave the 5.2 black like the factory but the wife wants me to paint it.  Hmmmm..... :dontknow:

I'm gonna clean up the engine compartment some and the 5.2 before putting it in.  There's a lot of hardened mud from HF and hard water stains in the engine compartment.  I used Comet spray before on the underside of the hood with good results.  Anyone use anything else that works good.  I'm just worried that Comet may be too caustic.   clean clean clean ... :brushteeth:

crazzywolfie

removing a hood by yourself sucks. glad you got as far as you have. should have pressure washed under the hood and chose what color you wanted to paint new engine before you removed the old engine. then you could have had the engine all painted and ready to install.

rjtx667

Simple Green!  :13:

enough said... about the best cleaner there is. Get a bottle and a scrub brush and it works good.

Its what I have cleaned most of the 91 with.  :laughing7:

Good progress on it though. When are you aiming to get it re-installed?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Yep, that would have been a nice plan but oh well.

I took the wiring harness off the motor to better clean the engine and found a couple of broken vacuum Tees. 

I also put the adapter plate for the 5.2 motor mounts.  It's looks noticably offset with the other side.  Mat can you check yours and compare for me.  On the driver's side, there is the adapter and it puts the mount in front of the crossmember.  On the passenger side, it puts the mount on the crossmember and towards the rear.  I did notice that the brackets that attach to the motor have different holes that the top insulator bolt goes through.  On the driver's side it is offset with the hole towards the front and the passenger side is centered.  I noticed the bracket on the driver's side has LR insribed.  Left - Right  :icon_scratch:

crazzywolfie

my memory is not so fresh but is there a metal bracket on the passenger side similar to the one you would have removed from the drivers side? if there is i think you might have to remove it to find where the motor mount bolts in.

i also think the radiator for the v6 should be the same size as the v8 radiator.