News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjtx667

they have header and exhaust manifold paint.... thats what I bought for mine. :13:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Yeah, I used that BBQ paint before and it sucks.  I don't like flat black and it's not gas and oil resistant. 

Well the black came out good and today I took off the valve covers to spray them red.  The red engine paint was by Duplicolor with the ceramic technology.  After I sprayed them, I started noticing that the paint underneath was crinkled up.  What a waste of some good paint and time to fix it.    :angry5:  I really don't know what happened or why.   :dontknow: 
"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

crazzywolfie

that is why i like taking things down to bear metal. it took 1 whole day for me to clean and paint my valve covers. it also took me another full day to clean and paint my exhaust manifold. i am still happy with the duplicolor engine enamel that i used on the valve covers. 

SixGun

:035:
Okay, so I took the valve covers down to the bare metal again.  I scrubbed them real good with some cleaner and steel wool.  To take the 2 layers of paint off I used some laquer thinner and a gasket scraper and wire brush.  That top coat of red was still rubbery so I made sure to really shake up the can real well.  I also put a coat of etching primer.  So far the paint is looking good and smooth.

I replaced the broken vacuum tee with the one from the 3.9 motor and capped the unneeded ports on the TBI for the air pump and air cleaner.  I also reused the dist. rotor from the 3.9 to replace the broken one.  Cap was still good but needed one wire from the old motor.

I figured out the motor mount issue.  Those triangle brackets need to be removed from both sides.  Using a measuring tape I figured out the new attachment point on the passenger side.  You can see in the pics the new motor mount location on both sides and the bracket I had to remove.  Both sides are now even with each other.

Productive morning but have to head in to work.

Happy days...

crazzywolfie

that looks exactly like on my ramcharger now. i knew i removed a bracket from the passenger side when i installed the v8. so is the bracket from the passenger side identical to the one from the drivers side? sure looks like it.

SixGun

They had the same part number on them so they are interchangeable.  I added some script to the pics for clarification.

crazzywolfie

looks good. glad it is coming together so easy for you.

rjtx667

looking good, you should be going back together soon  :13:

I am waiting for word from the machine shop on my short block, they were to start on it yesterday and let me know the condition.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

rjtx667

That reminds me... you need the start that was on that sucker? I saw it up in the attic the other day along with the battery wire.  :laughing7:

does you a lot of good there.
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

crazzywolfie

the starter for the 3.9 should be identical to the 5.2 starter anyway or at least that is what rockauto says. 

SixGun

You figure that the starter is bolted to the transmission and turns the converter/ flywheel and I'm using the same tranny and converter.  Hmmmm....yep it should work.  Thanks for the concern though. 

While I have the motor out, I am gonna move the radiator down 3" to match the body lift.  I don't foresee any problems yet.  I still need to swap out the computer also. 

I haven't been able to paint the engine bay since it has been raining off and on for the last two days.  I'll be off this weekend so hopefully I can wrap this swap up and get some drive time before I bust.  I'm dreaming about this swap and driving my wife crazy.  Kinda like before Ram Jam - tossing and turning in my sleep.  She said even my snoring is starting to sound like VROOOOOM  VROOOOOM....     :steeringwheel:

rjtx667

glad to see someone making good progress... its suppose to rain here tomorrow so hope we have it instead of you.

Let us know how it goes.

I am sure my wife would complain, but I am stuck in the guest room while my eyes heal up... she has to have her fan on  :laughing7:
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Well it's sprinkling here enough to keep the paint on hold but light enough to get some stuff done.  I started removing stuff I didn't want to paint and before you know it I went ahead and took the wiring harness off.  Cut alot of tie straps.  I also removed the computer.  It's amazing how much sand was inside the connection.  I need to get some large diameter wire loom.   Found some thinner ones at a good price at Lowes when I did the KC's but need bigger for that main harness.  I wonder how some bed liner spray paint would look in the engine compartment since the wiring is out of the way.  Hopefully, it clears this afternoon.  It really sucks being a slave to the weather.

On a side note CW, how is the weather up north in your neck of the woods?  I see a major blizzard is hitting NYC and all over the news.

crazzywolfie

sounds like your getting a lot done.

the weather up hear was miserable yesterday but beautiful today. it was almost too dangerous out be out driving yesterday. apparently the plows gave up around 4pm just as the snow was starting to quit but there was still a crap load of snow on the road.   

SixGun

Here's a few more pics with the engine bay painted.  I used the Rustoleum truck bed paint.  Came out pretty good if I say so myself.  Barely 70* today hopefully the paint dries overnight.