News:

Your new home for car and truck enthusiast to share, learn, and brag.

Main Menu

91 RAMM'D 150

Started by SixGun, September 25, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazzywolfie

i guess time will tell.

rock auto shows the same starter for the 3.9, 5.2 and 5.9.

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on November 11, 2012, 09:02:35 PM
It was nice seeing you this weekend Richard, sorry it was a short visit. That traffic is a killer!!

For you guys just tuning in, the wife and I drove from San Antonio to Grand Prairie (near Dallas)on Saturday.  We had to drive through Austin which has terrible traffic on weekdays but there was bumper to bumper stop and go on a Saturday.  Really weird but as soon as we drove by the stadium, we discovered that the Long Horns were playing.   :character0029:

Later on between Temple and Waco was a 10 mile traffic jam due to construction.  Luckily it was shut down by the time we drove home that evening.  It was all worth it with our new toys in the trailer.    :headbang:

Yeah, I would have loved to spend some more time wrenching with you.  Our wives didn't seem to have the same enthusiasm though this time around.   :dontknow:

"You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crocket

SixGun

:icon_scratch:

Started prepping for the V8 install and ran into a few stumbling blocks.  I have the 91 318 motor but have 93 318 exhaust manifolds.  In 91 there are the small holes under the exhaust ports.  In 93 there must not be any because the 93 manifolds don't cover them.  No problem, I've seen it many times about tapping the holes with 1/4-20.  I did 6 of them but the 2 rear most holes are smaller and don't seem to go all the way through or else they are extremely clogged.  I had to dig the larger 6 holes however the smaller ones at the back of the motor I haven't been able to dig them out - except for the first inch that my mini screwdriver could reach.  I tried blasting it with carb cleaner and nothing.  I can see the hole on the inside of the combustion chamber.  Does anyone know for a fact if it goes all the way through.  If it does, what size tap is for this size hole? 

I know the obvious solution would be to buy manifolds that cover them.  But, these supposedly flow better and I would need to tap them if I ever went with headers anyway.

The other problem is that the 91 had long exhaust manifold bolts on the center port and small studs on the outer ones.  On the 93 it is reversed with long bolts on the outers and small studs on the center ports.  So I have to double nut the studs off and install them, if they survive, on the centers and buy some long bolts for the outers.

I also need to tap the hole on the 93 passenger exhaust manifold for the air tube.  Fortunately, it is only on the passenger side unlike the 91.  I used small expansion plugs on my 91 when I deleted the air pump.  Maybe that will work in this case as well.

The down pipe will be in the wrong location and angle so exhaust work will be needed.

All in the search for more power.

workgoats

I used 90 manifolds from a 360 (TBI) on my carbed 318.  Some previous owner (before Nick) had already drilled and tapped the holes...

I have the 90 360 in storage and will look at it if I can today and see what it looks like.  Might get some insight.

SixGun

:tard:  Sorry Ron, let it soak all night with carb cleaner and added some hammering on it this morning.  Whaddaya know it shit the lil soot briquet out.  Looked like a hard ass lizard turd.  Back in business....  :icon_salut:

workgoats

Quote from: SixGun on January 12, 2013, 12:09:45 PM
:tard:  Sorry Ron, let it soak all night with carb cleaner and added some hammering on it this morning.  Whaddaya know it shit the lil soot briquet out.  Looked like a hard ass lizard turd.  Back in business....  :icon_salut:

When I worked at the gas plant we had a carbon plug in an oil line that lubed the compressor rings.  We put about 20,000 psi on it with a high pressure oil gun and still had to drill it out to get the compressor back on line.

SixGun

Oh yeah, that was the easy side.  I did the other side after I posted and I had to use a concrete nail and BFH to get it out.  If I had known, I could have left this ready made plug.   :violent1:

All holes are tapped and plugged, new gaskets purchased for exhaust manifolds, moved the studs from outer to inner ports and longer bolts bought for the 93 Magnum manifolds.  I need to check out Pic-n-Pull for a Y pipe and kickdown linkage.  The forums mention a possible fitment problem on older trucks with the firewall, tranny dipstick and kickdown linkage.  Hopefully with the years being so close that the firewall won't be a problem.  I can always unbolt the dipstick and swing it away.  These manifolds look so much cleaner without the heat riser mess.

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on January 13, 2013, 11:30:47 AM
Oh yeah, that was the easy side.  I did the other side after I posted and I had to use a concrete nail and BFH to get it out.  If I had known, I could have left this ready made plug.   :violent1:

All holes are tapped and plugged, new gaskets purchased for exhaust manifolds, moved the studs from outer to inner ports and longer bolts bought for the 93 Magnum manifolds.  I need to check out Pic-n-Pull for a Y pipe and kickdown linkage.  The forums mention a possible fitment problem on older trucks with the firewall, tranny dipstick and kickdown linkage.  Hopefully with the years being so close that the firewall won't be a problem.  I can always unbolt the dipstick and swing it away.  These manifolds look so much cleaner without the heat riser mess.

Sounds like your making a lot of progress!!! I can't wait to see how your truck does with a V8 in it... it may really start putting the 4x4's to shame. :evil6:

just for the record, from the factory they do not have exhaust manifold gaskets
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Quote from: rjtx667 on January 14, 2013, 08:37:59 AM
just for the record, from the factory they do not have exhaust manifold gaskets

I was talking about the manifold to head gaskets.  I was gonna go to JY on Monday morning to look for a Y pipe but it was too cold.  I really wanted to get the swap done this week since I'm on a mini vacation but it's gonna be cold all week - in fact freezing with a chance of sleet/snow on Wed.

So I ended up putting my gauges back in and fixing a few things.  The heater blower switch was not working.  After tracing wires and tearing apart the switch, I discovered that a 3 prong plug came undone when I put in the stereo last spring.  Without AC, I haven't noticed it till it got cold here. 

On the gauges, I pulled the PRND21 indicator off your set and the gas gauge and put them on my set.  I also pulled out the little blue caps off the lights.  Looks so much better and brighter.  The gas gauge still didn't work.  Was it working when you had it on yours?  Maybe it's the wiring.

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on January 15, 2013, 02:59:09 AM
I was talking about the manifold to head gaskets.  I was gonna go to JY on Monday morning to look for a Y pipe but it was too cold.  I really wanted to get the swap done this week since I'm on a mini vacation but it's gonna be cold all week - in fact freezing with a chance of sleet/snow on Wed.

So I ended up putting my gauges back in and fixing a few things.  The heater blower switch was not working.  After tracing wires and tearing apart the switch, I discovered that a 3 prong plug came undone when I put in the stereo last spring.  Without AC, I haven't noticed it till it got cold here. 

On the gauges, I pulled the PRND21 indicator off your set and the gas gauge and put them on my set.  I also pulled out the little blue caps off the lights.  Looks so much better and brighter.  The gas gauge still didn't work.  Was it working when you had it on yours?  Maybe it's the wiring.

Thats the gagues from the 91 if I recall, it worked, maybe not greatly accurate but it worked. I will have to dig in my book to get you the testing procedure, but there is a way to test the wires and the sending unit. Lets pray its the wires as sending units are not cheap.

Are you going to add A/C to your rig when you put the 318 in there?

Yeah I understand wanting to get the swap done, but man I have to agree it is very cold out. I worked on the 2000 a little last night, in the garage and it was cold. I need a space heater or something lol. Do you even have a garage/"indoor space" to work or are you all outside with the swap?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

My 1.5 car garage is FULL.  Outside all the way.  My driveway has a pretty good slant to it so I was planning on making the swap at the inlaws.  Flat and lots of room but it's outside as well.  A week ago it was sunny and 70*.  What happened??   :dontknow:

I was able to do some other stuff so not a biggie.  Still lots of time before RJ 2013.  My in tank fuel pump is a new Carter so the sending unit should be good.  Before and after the fuel pump install, the fuel gauge would only read up to 1/2 tank.  Suddenly it went to empty and that's all it shows now.  The plastic on these gauge housings is so fragile that it's ridiculous.  Really struggled to piece a mostly good one together.  LOL

rjtx667

Quote from: SixGun on January 15, 2013, 08:12:23 PM
My 1.5 car garage is FULL.  Outside all the way.  My driveway has a pretty good slant to it so I was planning on making the swap at the inlaws.  Flat and lots of room but it's outside as well.  A week ago it was sunny and 70*.  What happened??   :dontknow:

I was able to do some other stuff so not a biggie.  Still lots of time before RJ 2013.  My in tank fuel pump is a new Carter so the sending unit should be good.  Before and after the fuel pump install, the fuel gauge would only read up to 1/2 tank.  Suddenly it went to empty and that's all it shows now.  The plastic on these gauge housings is so fragile that it's ridiculous.  Really struggled to piece a mostly good one together.  LOL

Suppose to be 60+ this weekend  :icon_scratch:  33 right now.

not to be ugly, but you know what happens with assumptions? Makes an ass of me and you  :laughing7:  I have seen too many new parts be bad or go bad really quickly. Just saying, never hurts to test it out too. :13:

Well I thought I would be lazy and not scan the book until I started reading the book... lazy was to scan the book  :evil6:

see if that helps you any?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Ass/ U/ Me  is so true.   :laughing4:  but I was hoping it was the gauge.

rjtx667

you get anything figured out on the gas gauge?
1935 Dodge KC Truck
1991 &1993 RamCharger
2000 RamCharger
2005 Cummins

SixGun

Not yet.  I've got a 91 FSM so I can use that.  Before I drop the tank, I will have to use up some of the gas.  A new problem came up though.  I smelled something burning and checked the rear axle.  It smelled like brakes.  Looking at the FSM, it might be  the e-brake or maybe some of that mud from Hidden Falls may have crudded up in the rear drums.  Should have some time in the morning before work to check it out.  Sometimes vacation sucks - I had to do a 7 day stretch before and a 7 day stretch after.  Oh well.    :disgust: